Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How many times have you transitioned?

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 1:34 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 239 Total Views

I met one of my husband's cousins at a family picnic a few weeks back.  She was telling me that she's tried to transition several times, but each time she got frustrated and got a relaxer.  This is my first (and hopefully only) try going natural.

Has anyone else done this more than once?

by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2boys9yrsapart
by Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 10:52 AM
Nope. I made the decision and stopped relaxing I kept my hair in various braided styles for gosh 8 months then chopped and off the relaxed ends and started my locks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Babujai
by Group Owner on Sep. 19, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Quoting 2boys9yrsapart:

Nope. I made the decision and stopped relaxing I kept my hair in various braided styles for gosh 8 months then chopped and off the relaxed ends and started my locks.

Wow!  I'm considering locs but have decided to do natural and loose for awhile first. 

Welcome to the group!

2boys9yrsapart
by Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 11:20 AM
Thank you! I would have loved to just fro out but wasn't sure how to, lol, so I went with the structure of locks. It works for me!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SWells041585
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 1:01 AM

I've only transitioned once but (despite all my knowledge) I'm getting MIGHTY weak lol... Having this much hair is WAYYYYYYYYYY hard on me :/

MandiFuego
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 1:04 PM

My cousin has...then during my pregnancy I kinda stopped dealing with everybody..and when we came back around she'd tried to transition again..but her NOT perming her hair...she looks ROUGH. I'm BEGGING her to let me do her hair cuz it's 7/8ths permed 1/8th new growth and she's trying to treat her permed hair like natural hair and it just looks a MESS! She needs to let me flexrod her hair or a twist out or something cuz..lawdy! she over 50, she needs to look like a lady not like she done ran off from the crazy house....she's been perming for so long, she has NO idea what to do with her hair, and as a full time(and over time) govnt contractor, she doesn't have much time to research and figure out what works for her hair...she just need to give me a weekend to fix that up.

MandiFuego
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

My issue is cutting my hair....it's just easier sometimes to just cut it off, than to try to work with it. I consider it a type of transition...cuz dealing with in long super packed hair, isn't def something to get used to....some lady tried to "talk" me into a texturizer... but I was looking at her hair..I mean, if I don't like how YOUR hair looks, your not touching mine, at all. Same with my daughter.

Babujai
by Group Owner on Sep. 25, 2012 at 1:40 PM

When I was trying to find someone to do my BC I happened to run into the hairdresser that owns a shop in the same square as my kids' daycare.  I was talking to her and she was like oh yeah, I can do it. As I continued talking to her she tells me that I need to transition longer so I'll have more hair when it's cut (nobody asked her) and that she'd gone natural once, by wearing weaves and wigs and then once she cut it she couldn't deal with it so she went back to relaxing.  I tossed her card later that day.  She might have been able to cut it, but I didn't like her whole attitude about being natural.  And her hair had so much weave and nonesense in it I couldn't tell if she could actually do hair anyway.

Quoting MandiFuego:

My issue is cutting my hair....it's just easier sometimes to just cut it off, than to try to work with it. I consider it a type of transition...cuz dealing with in long super packed hair, isn't def something to get used to....some lady tried to "talk" me into a texturizer... but I was looking at her hair..I mean, if I don't like how YOUR hair looks, your not touching mine, at all. Same with my daughter.

Calling all Naturalistas! Join us in  Natural Hair Love.

MandiFuego
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 1:46 PM

i was going to talk to a lady....she seemed educated enough about natural hair, but she told me she didn't "like" doing it... so...I'm on my own....there's another salon but the prices are CRAZY, so I've never steppped foot in there. $50 for a shampoo? ( not even including the blow dry and flat iron) these hoes are crzy! and they're up in their salon saying they're "annointed" by God to do hair, and call each other elders ( they all go to this ONE church, that's rumored to be a cult....I def believe it!) and they're hours are SO strange, different hours for everyday of the week!

Quoting Babujai:

When I was trying to find someone to do my BC I happened to run into the hairdresser that owns a shop in the same square as my kids' daycare.  I was talking to her and she was like oh yeah, I can do it. As I continued talking to her she tells me that I need to transition longer so I'll have more hair when it's cut (nobody asked her) and that she'd gone natural once, by wearing weaves and wigs and then once she cut it she couldn't deal with it so she went back to relaxing.  I tossed her card later that day.  She might have been able to cut it, but I didn't like her whole attitude about being natural.  And her hair had so much weave and nonesense in it I couldn't tell if she could actually do hair anyway.

Quoting MandiFuego:

Myboysmom08
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Quoting SWells041585:

I've only transitioned once but (despite all my knowledge) I'm getting MIGHTY weak lol... Having this much hair is WAYYYYYYYYYY hard on me :/

Hang in there ... you can do it ... I have a lot too and I am often challenged.  I need to post some new pics of me - but mine has grown substantially  - I plan to do a length check and post it.  But please don't get weak - I know it's not easy but I am so glad to be natural - I am not looking back.

And yes ... I've only done this once - and now that I have - I'm done.

graciefreesoul
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 3:05 AM

nah...only one time for me...i'm weird like that...i set my mind on something, do it, and never look back lol it's usually extreme too haha i didn't really transition from relaxed to natural, just cut that mess off one day...same with eating...didn't halfway transition to veghead, i just kicked the chops and chickn to the curb one day lol and hair color? it's hardly ever subtle lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)