Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Don't your clothes smell like vinegar?

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 1:37 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 543 Total Views

I've seen in other groups and on several blogs that vinegar can be used as a fabric softner.  I'm scared to try because DH absolutely hates the smell of vinegar.  He hates when I use diluted vinegar to clean glass and I try to do it while he's out of the house.

Does anyone do this? Do your clothes smell like vinegar? Even a little?

by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SWells041585
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 1:12 AM
2 moms liked this

Nope! Not at all :) Vinegar is also nature's bleach, I disinfect with it (works longer than bleach) and do all my cleaning using it. I dilute it in my old downy ball :) 1 part vinegar, 2 parts water but even when it was straight vinegar, it never ever smells! PS. I think it stinks too but it really is a super all-in-one product :)

Babujai
by Group Owner on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:21 AM

"Nature's bleach"? Is it not safe to use on colors than?

Quoting SWells041585:

Nope! Not at all :) Vinegar is also nature's bleach, I disinfect with it (works longer than bleach) and do all my cleaning using it. I dilute it in my old downy ball :) 1 part vinegar, 2 parts water but even when it was straight vinegar, it never ever smells! PS. I think it stinks too but it really is a super all-in-one product :)

SWells041585
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Babujai:

"Nature's bleach"? Is it not safe to use on colors than?

Quoting SWells041585:

It's safe to use on all ur loads! I just use more for my whites and mix a baking soda/vinegar spot treatment for stain removal. It doesn't fade colors though :)

marlarrie
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 7:12 PM

I use vinegar to rinse my colored towels and there's never the smell of vinegar after they've rinsed.

keisha613
by Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Nope, no smell.  I put a cupful in every load and so far no smell. 

delanna6two
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I tried some to freshen dd's potty and it helped.

Babujai
by Group Owner on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Quoting keisha613:

Nope, no smell.  I put a cupful in every load and so far no smell. 

I finally tried it and it worked wonderfully well and no smell.  I even had DH come in the laundry room and smell the towels to be sure.

Calling all Naturalistas! Join us in  Natural Hair Love.

KymberleeAnn
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 12:51 AM

I only use vinegar to clean out my reusable water jars, it works wonders on those and the water taste so fresh and clean afterward too.  But I have not tried it on my clothes but after reading these replies I think I will give it a try.

Brehi
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I found a recipe on Pinterest about 4 months ago and I've been using it ever since.I love this because it works good and it's inexpensive. You need 6 cups of hot water (I get mine from the coffee pot),,2 cups of a cheap hair conditioner (I use Vo5 and Suave, choose the scents that you like) and 3 cups of white vinegar.....I mix all of the ingredients in an old koolade pitcher until the conditioner is dissolved and then pour it into an old fabric softener bottle. You pour it into the little spot for fabric softener in your washing machine.My clothes don't smell like vinegar, they smell like peaches and cream or strawberries and cream and they are real soft.

RitaTequila531
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 7:43 PM
I used white vinegar on some jeans that i mistakenly left in the washer and they developed a slight mildew smell. I prayed and rewashed and then dried. It did the trick. Idk about using it as a softener tho, I'm not that daring lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)