Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

THIS close!

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 4:25 PM
  • 22 Replies
  • 352 Total Views

I'm so bored with my half natural/half relaxed hair. All I can do with it is either press it or throw it up into a ponytail. Pressing doesn't last long and my ponytails are sloppy and frizzy and just eww. I'm so close to grabbing the scissors and cutting my ponytail off to force me to the hair salon to cut more of my hair off LOL! I haven't had a relaxer since January so it's going on a year.

I keep telling myself to just cut it off since I don't work anymore. I don't have anywhere to be so if I have trouble controlling my hair or finding right products, it won't really matter. If I'm having a bad hair day I can just stay home that day. I think I'm scared of how it will look when I cut it since when I wash my hair most of it is a curly afro but then I have those weird straight parts that hang all awkwardly. LOL!

Help! What should I do? Any advice?

by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 4:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Babujai
by Group Owner on Dec. 27, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Déjà Vu!  You sound exactly the way I sounded when I had reached my transitioning breaking point.  I'm gong to tell you the same thing my sister said.

"Put the scissors down.  Back away from the scissors."

If you're really ready to be "all natural", make sure you start off right.  First, make sure you're actually ready.  Have you really thought about it or are you acting in the moment out of frustration? Secondly, unless you are extremely confident in your ability to cut your own hair, get someone else to do it...preferably a professional. 

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Lao-tzu, The Way of Lao-tzu
Chinese philosopher (604 BC - 531 BC)

shaunaleigh418
by Group Admin on Dec. 27, 2012 at 4:54 PM

I'm not sure if I'm ready or not. I've always wanted to cut my hair really short. (Pixie cut.) But never acted on it. I wouldn't say I'm frustrated. I'm just at the point where I want to do nice styles with my hair. See my curls. Instead of washing it and blow drying it and throwing it into a ponytail. I'm bored. I hate doing my hair because it's always a mess. I want to feel sexy. I want to rock different styles. I swear, every day it's a frizzy ponytail. :/ I feel that's doing more damage than good. My sister went all natural and I love her hair. My husband is telling me to go for it. I THINK I'm ready. I just wanna stop thinking about doing it and just do it already. My husband told me, "it's just hair. Cut it off and if you don't like it just know that it will grow back." Sorry, I know this is all over the place but so is my mind hahahaha!

Quoting Babujai:

Déjà Vu!  You sound exactly the way I sounded when I had reached my transitioning breaking point.  I'm gong to tell you the same thing my sister said.

If you're really ready to be "all natural", make sure you start off right.  First, make sure you're actually ready.  Have you really thought about it or are you acting in the moment out of frustration? Secondly, unless you are extremely confident in your ability to cut your own hair, get someone else to do it...preferably a professional. 

Babujai
by Group Owner on Dec. 27, 2012 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I feel you...LOL!  My husband was the same way.

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

I'm not sure if I'm ready or not. I've always wanted to cut my hair really short. (Pixie cut.) But never acted on it. I wouldn't say I'm frustrated. I'm just at the point where I want to do nice styles with my hair. See my curls. Instead of washing it and blow drying it and throwing it into a ponytail. I'm bored. I hate doing my hair because it's always a mess. I want to feel sexy. I want to rock different styles. I swear, every day it's a frizzy ponytail. :/ I feel that's doing more damage than good. My sister went all natural and I love her hair. My husband is telling me to go for it. I THINK I'm ready. I just wanna stop thinking about doing it and just do it already. My husband told me, "it's just hair. Cut it off and if you don't like it just know that it will grow back." Sorry, I know this is all over the place but so is my mind hahahaha!

Quoting Babujai:

Calling all Naturalistas! Join us in  Natural Hair Love.

MomRocs1102
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 5:42 PM

I just chopped mine off lol.  I had maybe an inch of hair on my head and it was so cute to me i loved it.  I decided to cut it the day after i decided i no longer wanted a perm.  So its different for different people.  Try cutting it into a style maybe a bob and wearing it curly for a while or just chop it off.

shaunaleigh418
by Group Admin on Dec. 27, 2012 at 5:45 PM

I tried a bob, and tried it curly but it doesn't last more than 3 days since it's just pressed and not relaxed. :(

Quoting MomRocs1102:

I just chopped mine off lol.  I had maybe an inch of hair on my head and it was so cute to me i loved it.  I decided to cut it the day after i decided i no longer wanted a perm.  So its different for different people.  Try cutting it into a style maybe a bob and wearing it curly for a while or just chop it off.

MomRocs1102
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 5:46 PM

rods and straw sets dont last 

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

I tried a bob, and tried it curly but it doesn't last more than 3 days since it's just pressed and not relaxed. :(

Quoting MomRocs1102:

pregnancy calendar
shaunaleigh418
by Group Admin on Dec. 27, 2012 at 5:53 PM

I just want a curly fro. Wash it, gel it, and go lol. My sister went natural and I love her hair.

Quoting MomRocs1102:

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Quoting MomRocs1102:

MomRocs1102
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this

chop, chop  but leave a little if really short bothers you, you will have   to be patient and let it grow though.

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

I just want a curly fro. Wash it, gel it, and go lol. My sister went natural and I love her hair.

Quoting MomRocs1102:

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Quoting MomRocs1102:

pregnancy calendar
moosesmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:04 AM
1 mom liked this
CHOP IT OFF!! Lol. I'm in the same boat. I've made an appointment to cut mine on Friday. Like you, I'm not working so this will be the perfect time to do this. It's just hair right? Right?? ;-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shaunaleigh418
by Group Admin on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:30 AM
Yay for you!! Post pictures! I'm still debating. I'm thinking about cutting it so that it's still long enough for a short, short ponytail just in case I need to throw it back one day. And then every few months cut some more off.

Quoting moosesmom:

CHOP IT OFF!! Lol. I'm in the same boat. I've made an appointment to cut mine on Friday. Like you, I'm not working so this will be the perfect time to do this. It's just hair right? Right?? ;-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)