Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

confused about my hair type!!!

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 8:10 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 490 Total Views
Ok so i see the ladies with the very kinky natural hair and it looks great then i see the ladies with the naturally curly hair looks great also. But my hair is neither. Its not nappy or curly. Its like they had a baby and its my hair. Lol its super soft which i like but i want to know my type. Any advice.

Naturally confused
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 8:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Babujai
by Group Owner on Dec. 30, 2012 at 10:18 AM
Typing can be useful, but try not to be too concerned about it. Generally the types run 1-straight, 2-wavy, 3-curly, 4-kinky. Each type has a grade: A-C or D. Sounds like your hair may be 3D to 4A.

I like to say my hair is 4D where the D is for "Damn my hair is nappy!" LOL!

More important than type for determining the kind of care and products your hair needs are thickness, density and porosity.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
moosesmom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2012 at 6:11 PM
LMBO @ the 4D hair. It confuses me too. As we speak I'm looking at videos and doing some research on my hair "type". When I look at your pictures (Babujai) my hair new growth in the front looks exactly like that. But in the very back it's something entirely different. So confusing.

Quoting Babujai:

Typing can be useful, but try not to be too concerned about it. Generally the types run 1-straight, 2-wavy, 3-curly, 4-kinky. Each type has a grade: A-C or D. Sounds like your hair may be 3D to 4A.

More important than type for determining the kind of care and products your hair needs are thickness, density and porosity.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lalasha
by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 12:45 PM
Typing pigeon holes you. Just find what works for your hair.
mjackson77
by Member on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Sound like my hair. lol

Babujai
by Group Owner on Dec. 31, 2012 at 1:50 PM

The front, back and middle of my hair are all a little different.  The back is definitely 4D, but the front is more 4B.  I guess that would make the middle 4C except it's very resistant to curling.  I have to pile on the product there to make it curl. 

Quoting moosesmom:

LMBO @ the 4D hair. It confuses me too. As we speak I'm looking at videos and doing some research on my hair "type". When I look at your pictures (Babujai) my hair new growth in the front looks exactly like that. But in the very back it's something entirely different. So confusing.

Quoting Babujai:

Calling all Naturalistas! Join us in  Natural Hair Love.

ikesmommy
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:35 PM

post a freshly washed pic

cklamour
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:47 PM
I have cotton hair. There is no real curl pattern and my hair is super soft. The ends when wet spiral but that's it, the rest is just there, existing, waiting... It really just looks like a dark brown cotton ball when wet lol
mizhoward
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:28 PM

I have a mixture of 3& 4, and possibly C. 

MomRocs1102
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:49 PM

google or bing sites should come up with pics that's easiest.

makabe
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 5:08 PM
2 moms liked this

A great way is to read professional analyses on the internet, there's some guides that might help you dertermining your hair type and tips to make your hair stand out.

Quote:

CURLY OR STRAIGHT HAIR GENE

Only one pair of chromosomes transmits the genes responsible for curly hair. So, if the father only has curly hair genes, the child has a 100% chance of inheriting of at least one curly hair gene and its hair will look curly. Curly hair genes are dominant over straight and smooth hair genes.
I think you fit in this category based on this guide: Identifying your hair type
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN