Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"professional transitioning process"

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:15 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 162 Total Views
I have a question: I am currently transitioning and have been for 11 months, and I have not had any major problems with my hair (and little shedding). My friend told me that her beautician stated that I should be doing the "required" transitioning method in a salon every 12 weeks. She said if u don't, your hair will eventually break off at the demarcation line. I got nervous at first until I realized there r tons and tins of women that short term and long term transition with no problem. Hmmm seems like another way to "keep money rolling in for the beautician" which is understandable, but it cost $100-$150 each time u go. Hmmm I have been told if u are gentle with ur hair and deep condition it weekly and keep it moisturized u will be ok. Any thoughts on the "professional transition process"?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Babujai
by Group Owner on Apr. 7, 2013 at 4:21 PM
What all does this transitioning process involve?

The demarcation between your natural and relaxed hair is where the hair is most vulnerable, but with care a long transition is completely doable.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
quite1331
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I think she mentioned that they put a cream or some sort on the hair (almost like a relaxer) but it's not a relaxer, it just smoothes the new growth so it's more manageable. I think the cream sits on the hair for a little while then they wash it out, them blow dry, then wash again. (I'm not positive of how the process works.) but when she said they put a cream on the hair i was like hmmm no thanks lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Babujai
by Group Owner on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Quoting quite1331:

I think she mentioned that they put a cream or some sort on the hair (almost like a relaxer) but it's not a relaxer, it just smoothes the new growth so it's more manageable. I think the cream sits on the hair for a little while then they wash it out, them blow dry, then wash again. (I'm not positive of how the process works.) but when she said they put a cream on the hair i was like hmmm no thanks lol

Right!  That sounds like a baby perm or texturizer.  How's that supposed to strengthen the hair?!

ikesmommy
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Ummmm, I have never been to a salon. And unless you intend on having a professional continue doing your natural hair from here on out, then you need to become accustomed to your own hair. Figure out what it likes and doesn't like. Natural hair is going to take care to remain healthy.

Here is my own progression thus far. I did not do a transition really though.

Before....A LOT of breakage and dead ends. Very limp and dry (maybe this is when I should have gone to a salon, but I'm glad I have been doing it on my own)

After....kind of. I couldn't bear to be bald, so I cut all but about an inch or so, and left the staggly relaxed ends. You can see all the straight ends. This was my transition. I chopped and chopped and chopped until the relaxer was gone.

I have chopped a couple times, but my official big chop happened January 2012. No more relaxed hair left :)

This was a flat iron after six months!

One of my fav easy styles. Push all the hair to the crown and two strand twist about ten sections and pin them down. I call it my hair-tiara :)

Braids are my go-to!!! And I prefer the curly hair if I add extensions.

About three weeks ago, seventh month, post-trim

This is 15 months in.

Rocsi718
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:04 PM

if it not broke don't fix it.....from your post you said your hair is doing fine, if i were you i would stick to your routine.....and lastly that required transitioning method sounds like bs to me

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)