Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breakage.

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:32 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 208 Total Views
1 mom liked this
I am currently transitioning, going on 5 months. Recently my hair is breaking off real bad. I moisturize and seal, wash every week, deep condition, hot oil treatments, oil scalp and wrap it up at night. Any suggestions?
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Babujai
by Group Owner on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:06 PM
2 moms liked this
Sounds like you're doing everything right. The point in the hair shaft between the relaxed and the natural is weak. A certain amount of breakage is natural and almost unavoidable while transitioning. If you want to retain the relaxed hair until you're ready to do your chop, stick to low-manipulation styling.
anaijasmom
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Mine is the same way and I'm not ready for the big chop.
Babujai
by Group Owner on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Quoting anaijasmom:

I did a gradual chop...cutting the relaxed hair little by little as the natural hair grew out and the relaxed hair broke off.  I was cutting faster than it was growing though and eventually gave up and did the final big chop.  I thought it would be traumatic and sad, but it turned out to be extremely liberating.  I was so much happier than I expected.

anaijasmom
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:09 PM
I cut some at a time also but I have to listen to my husband he still does not support it fully. I know my hair is many different lengths from cutting it.

Quoting Babujai:

Quoting anaijasmom:

I did a gradual chop...cutting the relaxed hair little by little as the natural hair grew out and the relaxed hair broke off.  I was cutting faster than it was growing though and eventually gave up and did the final big chop.  I thought it would be traumatic and sad, but it turned out to be extremely liberating.  I was so much happier than I expected.

RoyalBlossom
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:03 PM

I did the big chop and have been natural for three years and my hair still acts a mess. I'm trying to figure out how to not have it feel dry, I try and mist it through out the day but it is still dry and breaks. I'm about have a fit.

Babujai
by Group Owner on May. 6, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Quoting RoyalBlossom:

I did the big chop and have been natural for three years and my hair still acts a mess. I'm trying to figure out how to not have it feel dry, I try and mist it through out the day but it is still dry and breaks. I'm about have a fit.

Misting your hair with water without sealing in the moisture can actually make your hair drier.  As the water you mist evaporates it takes moisture that was already in your hair with it.  For constant moisture levels use a good conditioner and every time you wet/mist your hair make sure you follow up with an oil/cream/butter to seal the moisture in.

RoyalBlossom
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Babujai:

Quoting RoyalBlossom:

Misting your hair with water without sealing in the moisture can actually make your hair drier.  As the water you mist evaporates it takes moisture that was already in your hair with it.  For constant moisture levels use a good conditioner and every time you wet/mist your hair make sure you follow up with an oil/cream/butter to seal the moisture in.

Oh. Thanks I didn't know that. I'm like why my hair always so thirsty lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN