Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipe of the Week - Roasted Seckel Pears with Goat Cheese

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 9:54 AM
  • 0 Replies
  • 160 Total Views

(From the  Appetizer Collection at emealsforyou.com)

seckel pears roasted seckel pear

In line with a recent post Why We Cook - A Rant I wanted to add surprise to the equation. Sometimes it's fun to add something to the meal that is unexpected, something that appears to be one thing and winds up being a totally unexpected treat.  One night in New Jersey I made seckel pears.  These are small pears that are only available in the early fall, roasted with goat cheese, black pepper and honey as an appetizer for a group of macho cops, EMT's and RN's.  The unexpected taste of the tart pears with the smooth goat cheese and sweet honey was a huge hit.  The fresh cracked pepper added to the visual.  These are similar to the full size pears I make for dessert but the small size makes them ideal as a quick and unexpected appetizer.

watermelon salad

Another visual trick is my watermelon salad.  Served in a large bowl with other various salads on a buffet, the guest assume that it is a tomato salad.  Watching the look on their faces as they popped the watermelon into their mouths was very satisfying.  The combination of crisp sweet watermelon with the salty feta cheese, pinenuts and red onion makes a wonderful surprise addition to any meal.  Now that watermelon is available all year long; this is not just a summer treat.  Once the word got around about the watermelon salad it completely disappeared in a matter of minutes.

So, mix it up a little, try something different and surprise your guest.

see the recipe for  this post  at http://blog.emealsforyou.com/

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 9:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)