Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 15 year old autistic son has been brainwashed by a born again (also 15,) and is trying to "save " my son. He has totally convinced my son that his church is the only way, and I don;'t know what to do about this. The more I argue about this, the more he resists. I have made it clear how I feel about this boy and his views to my son, and I have talked to this boy, and gave him quite the earfull.   there is no way I can stop him from communicating with this boy at school. They have classes together. I have talked with his councelor and special ed teachers. They can't do anything.  I have told my son that this religion is going to limit him, narrow his mind, but he says it's just the opposite. He's at an age where everything I say is wrong. Actually he has always been at that age. Because he is autistic he gets obsessive about things. This will consume his life. I understand why it appeals to him. Everything needs to be very black and white for him. I really don't want to pull him out of this school. Should I just hope it's a phase, and pretend I don't care?

by on Dec. 13, 2009 at 4:55 AM
Replies (11-15):
sassfire
by on Feb. 12, 2010 at 2:29 PM

"If he communicates well in reading/writing areas, try having him read sites or books about other mythologies.  Maybe seeing the similarities will help.  Tell him it is simply not at all logical to pick one religion based on one rude insistent person's say-so,when there are so many other gods, aspects of gods and religions at large out there in people's imaginations."

This is a great suggestion. Autistic and people with Asperger's that I know very rational. Here is a link to Zeitgeist- the movie. The first section of this movie is great. It relates Christianity to myths and astrology in a very balanced way. The rest of the movie is about conspiracies that I don't agree with but the first half is great. Go to the site and click on zeitgeist the movie you can watch it for free.

http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Mom2toomanyboys
by on Feb. 3, 2011 at 11:35 AM
So I really don't know what I would do... I haven't had much exposure to autism but that aside I can say that my hubby comes from a long line of Atheists and his sisters teenage rebellion led her to religion. I think it may be a natural rebellion at that age.
I think that going to the parents or the church isn't going to help because they won't see wrong in it. If you do something extreme like take him out of the school or change classes it could add fuel to the fire making it worse. I guess I would try to confuse the issue to demonstrate how silly religion is and expose him to every religous center I could... that way he could see for himself that there are lots of silly stories out there and lots of crazy people who believe them.
Maybe even sit down and "be open" to him exploring christianity read the most out there bible stories with him... and express intrest in learning more.
I think in an age where parents are wrong the more you oppose the issue the stronger the pull will be... if it isn't a big deal and you give him ALL the info out there without adding your opinion I think a teenager would come to their own conclusion... hopefully it will be the non delusional one. And if parents are the most uncool thing out there... if you make the idea of religion cool.... wouldn't that push him the other way?
Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SinaiJ
by Yosaff Bridge on Mar. 7, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Ugh.. Why must people impose religion on others?

Autistic or not, there will be a day when you won't be around and he'll have to figure things out for himself. He's in public school so I'm guessing he's got a milder form of autism. Pushing your views on him is just as bad as someone pushing religion on him.

iSarah
by on Sep. 8, 2011 at 1:21 PM
That movie was helpful for me. I love it. Also, The God Who Wasn't There is a good one. And, of course, bill marh's Religulous.

Quoting sassfire:

"If he communicates well in reading/writing areas, try having him read sites or books about other mythologies.  Maybe seeing the similarities will help.  Tell him it is simply not at all logical to pick one religion based on one rude insistent person's say-so,when there are so many other gods, aspects of gods and religions at large out there in people's imaginations."

This is a great suggestion. Autistic and people with Asperger's that I know very rational. Here is a link to Zeitgeist- the movie. The first section of this movie is great. It relates Christianity to myths and astrology in a very balanced way. The rest of the movie is about conspiracies that I don't agree with but the first half is great. Go to the site and click on zeitgeist the movie you can watch it for free.

http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iSarah
by on Sep. 8, 2011 at 1:24 PM
Just a side note, I think they had a 3rd son, Seth.

Quoting hatinnd:

I sent my kids to bible school because I want them to know the 'stories' because they're such a part of everyday society.  And I want them to use their own brains and not insist they follow whatever I do, like christians do.

They're 7 and 10, and they love to give me a hard time about everything.  Not in a bad way, we just joke around about everything.  They know I'm an avid PETA supporter.  So they say they want to be hunters.  They know I'm an athiest, so they say they believe in god.  Our last debate ended at the beginning - Adam and Eve.   I asked if there were only the two and they had two sons - then WHO did the sons have babies with??   They were speechless, and they haven't brought up religion since??

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN