Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would this bother you?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:25 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 620 Total Views

I am filling out the paperwork for my daughter to go to preschool on Monday.  She went there for daycare (they have a separate preschool) and I liked it.  She enjoyed it as well.  It's super convenient also, as I can just drop her off on my way to class.  But there is on thing...

I saw them praying to God over their breakfast one day.  I didn't say anything though. 

Would this be of concern to you?  What would you say to your child?  I don't think it's that serious to remove her.  But if she is getting some Jesus talk at the school, am I mistaken about its seriousness?  My daughter is 3.

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Blue_Spiral
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe it's just me, but yes, as young as three it would bother me.

Did that rhyme? lol

I mean, I guess there are two sides to that. One could say "she's so young, she won't even know what's going on." but you could also say that it's a very impressionable age that might have an affect on her. But, perhaps that's paranoia?? lol

Regardless, I wouldn't like it for my kid. Religion has no place in an educational place.

DaniT
by Head Admin on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:09 AM

It would bug me.  But then again, I told my kids there was a fat man who brought them presents every year and that didn't stick!

Chaotic_Rayne
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:41 AM

I wouldn't like it and I'd probably say something.

DaniT
by Head Admin on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Quoting Chaotic_Rayne:

If it's a private daycare, there really isn't anything you can do.  My oldest son went to a daycare until he was 4 that said grace, and he became an atheist all on his own.  I think he saw it as a meaningless ritual of giving thanks.

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion," Founding Father Thomas Paine.

ryansmommy07
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:09 PM

since its a private preschool I take it that its not run by the state they have the right to pray if they want to. my husband would not allow me to send our kids to a preschool that would allow any kind of praying. But if you like the school and she wont be attending to long anyways I dont see to much of a problem with it.

Commie_Mommie
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Tell them how you feel, I am sure they can accomidate.

Chaotic_Rayne
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Oh, ok

Quoting DaniT:

Quoting Chaotic_Rayne:

If it's a private daycare, there really isn't anything you can do.  My oldest son went to a daycare until he was 4 that said grace, and he became an atheist all on his own.  I think he saw it as a meaningless ritual of giving thanks.

CalypsoSpell
by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 7:22 PM

I would go to the preschool and if it was ignored, then I'd speak to an attorney.

.JessicaRabbit.
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:48 AM

I did grow up in a religious household, so really it wouldn't bother me. But I want my kids to be able to find their own way, and praying for your food isn't going to hurt anything I don't think.

daqulynn
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:08 PM

Well, it's not so much the saying grace that I would have a problem with. Because if you think about it, if they are assuming that every child enrolled in that center is christian, then they are probably talking about christianity to your child.

I would speak with the director (if you are comfortable with stating your religious beliefs without fearing of discrimination). Make it clear to her that you do not want your child taught about god or christianity.  She should respect your wishes.

As for saying grace, you may have to wait until she's older to explain to her that all people believe differently and that she should never be forced to pray, but she should be respectful of other peoples beliefs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)