Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

please tell me why this matters? ffs

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:35 AM
  • 14 Replies
  • 513 Total Views

this might be lame but it has me mad...ok so i have this site on facebook and i keep tabs on kids with childhood cancers and illnesses. Ive been doing this for about a year now and can spread the word of a child who needs some kind words (via caring bridge page) or parents who need kind words (if their child dies or otherwise). There is this dude who said he would pass along the story of the kids and im like cool. Well I am an athiest and his thing is christian and all about praying and shit... whatever... lots of people are into that and if it makes the parents/kids feel better, by all means... all im trying to do is connect people and give these people some support. Well anyways, we have lost quite a few kids recently who were fighting long battles and he sent me a message saying that he would link it on his group and send people over to leave messages for the parents. The thing that makes me mad is the fact that he ALWAYS has to mention the fact i am athiest... like it matters. this is what he posted exactly ot his group... this might sound dumb but this really made me mad. I am a good person. I care so much for these kids.. why would this matter or need to me mentioned?

BIG MISSION FROM GOD: There is a website which is for support of Caring Bridge. The leader of the group is a professed atheist, but really cares for these kids. Please visit the below Facebook site and write some Prayers for these kids. LETS SHOW WHAT GODS CHILDREN CAN DO WHEN CALLED ON! I AM PUMPED WITH THE SPIRIT RIGHT NOW!
GET PUMPE...D - I AM GOING THERE RIGHT NOW!See More
This is a group for family, friends or caring people who want to lend support to sick children by simple things such as words of kindness for them and their family. Post your need for your child here,...

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ZBandMom
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:52 AM

It just seems to me to be another Christian trying to make sure that everybody knows you're an Atheist so he can "show you" what they can do.  They'll pray and pray for those kids and if one of those kids would happen to get better, they'll try to take credit for it because "prayer works".  The sentence "Let's show what God's children can do when called on" pretty much sums it up.

Blue_Spiral
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:00 AM

Yeah, you're an atheist BUT you care about the kids *eye roll*

FrogSalad
by Susie K-M on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:38 AM

I hear this frustration from ex-mormons sometimes.  They get a version that goes:  "S/He's not mormon but s/he's still a good person." 

The reason why people say shit like that is that you couldn't possibly be as good of a person as they are without their version of god but you're not a baby-eating devil worshipper either. 

Condescension at its worst.

The time to be happy is now.  The place to be happy is here.  The way to be happy is to make others so. ~ Robert G. Ingersoll ~

ashellbell
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:30 AM

seriously i just had a debate in another group about this. i'm told everyone in inherently evil without g-d in their lives and that any goodness you do is out of selfishness....no shit i was told that.

DaniT
by Head Admin on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Gah.  I would ask him why he feels the need to mention this.  Put it to him this way; it would be like you saying to nonbelievers, "He's Christian BUT he's a nice guy."  Sounds insulting...because it is.  Would he ever say, "She's Jewish, but she's nice"?  No, because that would be insulting.

sweetheart1985
by Chanandler Bong on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Wow.

I honestly don't think I could associate with a person who thought of me that way... kudos to you. It shows how completely UNselfish you are. = )

Chaotic_Rayne
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Yea, that would get under my skin too.... This has nothing to do with religion..... BUT he just HAS to mention that you are Atheist....like you are beneath him.... ugh.

jessilin0113
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Yeah, I would be mad too.  It's so unnecesary.  Substitute any adjective and it's just as ridiculous. "She's left-handed but still happens to care about the kids!"

ladiesnight
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:59 PM

What a dick.

ladiesnight
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Quoting ashellbell:

seriously i just had a debate in another group about this. i'm told everyone in inherently evil without g-d in their lives and that any goodness you do is out of selfishness....no shit i was told that.

I love how we're the selfish ones... when any goodness they do is because they want to go to Heaven.  o.O

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)