Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you expect your children to be atheist?

Posted by   + Show Post

I believe that my children should make their own decisions regarding religion (when they are old enough to make that informed decision) therefore I don't push my beliefs on them the same as I would not want anyone else pushing their religion on them. When my son asks questions about things I just always say "well some people believe this or that but mommy doesnt believe that". I try to give him the information he asks for without making him feel like I am telling him what to believe. 

My question is I guess, do you expect that your child will be atheist as you are? I always cross my fingers that my son will be but I also feel like forcing him to believe what I believe makes me no better than the religions I despise. 

by on Dec. 14, 2011 at 2:30 PM
Replies (41-50):
MamaBear1978
by Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 7:11 PM
2 moms liked this

At this point we are doing our best to teach them to think for them selves. WE have a 12 yo, a 10yo, and a 7yo. They have all been baptised and brought up in the Orthodox Church up until about a couple months ago.

It's kind of strange but leaving the church has been a great bonding experience for our family. We have all come to appreciate each other a little more. Even the kids are arguing less and behaving much better. LOL, Like I said strange.

We found this great book called, Becoming a Critical Thinker. I still haven't finished it but once I do Chris and plan on centering our family discussions around this subject. Actually we've already had a few discussions based on this subject as well as our expectations.

We've recently talked to the kids, and told them that Mommy and Daddy do not believe that there is no God based on certain circumstances, as well as new truths and facts that we have found. Their reactions were mixed but over all I think they are pretty happy kids.

p1r4t3cr0pc1rcl
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:07 PM

I will let my children make their own choices. As I have made mine. My parents do not like my choice and pray for me and my soul all the time, but I will expose my children to every aspect of this choice as possible. 

LindaClement
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:48 AM

I love when people pray for my soul.

I usually ask them to mail it back to me if they find it. :P

Quoting p1r4t3cr0pc1rcl:

I will let my children make their own choices. As I have made mine. My parents do not like my choice and pray for me and my soul all the time, but I will expose my children to every aspect of this choice as possible. 

p1r4t3cr0pc1rcl
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Lol. I just let them believe what they want to believe. As long as they ar not forcing it on me or my kids, and leave me and them the freedom to discover what we want 

Quoting LindaClement:

I love when people pray for my soul.

I usually ask them to mail it back to me if they find it. :P

Quoting p1r4t3cr0pc1rcl:

krisr168
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:11 PM

I was thrilled when both of my kids decided to be Atheists, despite being exposed to all sorts of religions.  Well, not surprised because they are both brilliant like their mother :)  Srsly, I don't know that I could have tolerated having a Christian child, some other religions are ok with me, but if my child told me I was going to hell after living a good, decent life simply because I don't believe I'd lose my mind.

devilsconcubine
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:52 PM
I believe that I have raised my children to know about all religions, however in or home we don't place any value on anything but science. I have a 15 yr old, a 9 yr old and a 6 yr old and none believe. Not because I have taught or told them not to, but because what we discuss and talk about makes sense to them. Even the little one finds it weird that people worship "some carpenter dude like Bob the Builder" lol
kellysparkles
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:56 PM

I have no intentions of going to church if our child wants to, but my husband said he would take them. I will teach them about why different holidays are celebrated for different religious purposes because I do feel that it's important to have an educated child. If somebody else tries pushing their beliefs on my child I'll make it clear that it's unwelcome and if it persists they won't be allowed around our child.

turtle68
by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 7:53 PM

LOL...you are leaning your kids towards your way of thinking even if its subconcious.

I made my older kids take religious education through their primary years at school...my younger kids attend a Ecumenical school so they have it wrapped into one LOL.

My mother was an athiest, my father a non practising Catholic....mostly we all lean toward non religion, although my eldest brother is a Mormon Bishop...so being an athiest doesnt account for your kids being made athiest but it does make them more open minded IMO.  (p.s my brother was converted by door knockers and a girlfriend he wanted to marry)

Daisy79
by Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I do hope they will be atheist, but if not, I expect them to have some damn good arguments for their faith!  My son (5) has had a lot of questions about god/religion lately, and I posted it in the "general" forum seeking advice as to a good non-recruity church to take him to.  Barely any useful advice, but a lot of "telling him god is a 'magic man in the sky' is disrespectful."  Arg.  Glad I was invited to this group :)

carleighbriley
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 7:04 AM
I imagine that my daughter will be, but I have no intentions of forcing it on her. She'll know what her dad and I think and we'll tell her how her grandparents believe. In the event that she's curios and asks to go to church, she'll certainly be allowed to do so.
My only worry is that she will want to go when she's very young. It terrifies me that she will go and come home with all of these irrational fears that "trusted" adults put in her head. Or worse, that her grandparents will try to tell her about heaven/hell and she'll buy it because they too are trusted adults. I don't know how my husband and I would handle that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)