Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you expect your children to be atheist?

Posted by   + Show Post

I believe that my children should make their own decisions regarding religion (when they are old enough to make that informed decision) therefore I don't push my beliefs on them the same as I would not want anyone else pushing their religion on them. When my son asks questions about things I just always say "well some people believe this or that but mommy doesnt believe that". I try to give him the information he asks for without making him feel like I am telling him what to believe. 

My question is I guess, do you expect that your child will be atheist as you are? I always cross my fingers that my son will be but I also feel like forcing him to believe what I believe makes me no better than the religions I despise. 

by on Dec. 14, 2011 at 2:30 PM
Replies (51-52):
FrogSalad
by Susie K-M on Nov. 9, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Quoting Daisy79:

I do hope they will be atheist, but if not, I expect them to have some damn good arguments for their faith!  My son (5) has had a lot of questions about god/religion lately, and I posted it in the "general" forum seeking advice as to a good non-recruity church to take him to.  Barely any useful advice, but a lot of "telling him god is a 'magic man in the sky' is disrespectful."  Arg.  Glad I was invited to this group :)

Did you ever get a useful answer to your question?

If you're in a larger city, (many) UU congregations are virtually secular and some Friends (Quaker) churches are non-fundy.

Atheist Mama?  Join us!

How paramount the future is to the present when one is surrounded by children.  Charles Darwin

sassfire
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 3:28 AM

Expect- no. Hope- YES.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)