Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Evil Atheists doing Evil in the name of Atheism

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 4:24 PM
  • 33 Replies
  • 786 Total Views

Hey, when we're wrong, we can admit it.

So, it turns out that for about a year (in 1793-1794), in France, there did exist a group called "The Cult of Reason" and not only were these people explicitly atheists, but they also did some nasty things (including joining in the general anti-clericism going on at that time, killing priests and descrating churches) in the name of Atheism.

For further information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-clericalism#Revolution

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dechristianization_of_France_during_the_French_Revolution

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_of_Reason

No excuses.   They did it.   It was wrong.

by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 4:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FrogSalad
by Susie K-M on Feb. 25, 2012 at 4:36 PM

No kidding!  Thanks for the links.  At least it wasn't about the old standbys Hitler, Mao and Stalin.

romalove
by SakePrincess on Feb. 25, 2012 at 4:39 PM
We are so bad. I feel dirty.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilangilyn
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Interesting. I wonder how many that were killed as opposed to how many the religious killed? Just a thought. I am sure there have been atheist murderers, child rapists, and other horrible things. Because atheists are human and being human means you can be a sick human.

lilangilyn
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 11:20 AM
3 moms liked this

After reading all three articles, I have a better understanding historically what was going on. It was a bloody time in general. One of the worst ever as far as slaughtering people for religion, class, wealth, political views. It was a cleaning up of what was viewed as the worst excesses of the time and in turn, led to its own excess.

I think the cult of reason was just a natural extension of what was going on at the time. More of the cleaning up of those who had been in power previously. I don't condone it or excuse it, but I think the climate of the times had more to do with this then atheism.

o0orange0o
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 11:41 AM
Wow. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by SakePrincess on Feb. 26, 2012 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

The number of people who have been killed in the name of God dwarfs the number of people who have been killed in the name of atheism.

Today, there are few people killing for atheism.  There are many killing for God.

Chillisarah
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 12:00 PM

thanks for sharing.

ashellbell
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2012 at 12:18 PM
I knew you were all evil.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Clairwil
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2012 at 1:02 PM
Quoting lilangilyn:

I am sure there have been atheist murderers, child rapists, and other horrible things. Because atheists are human and being human means you can be a sick human.

True.

But apparently what made this group different is not that they were doing horrible things, but that they were doing horrible things in the name of atheism.    Which, as far as my knowledge of history goes (not far) makes them pretty much unique.

Clairwil
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2012 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting lilangilyn:

It was a bloody time in general. One of the worst ever as far as slaughtering people for religion, class, wealth, political views. It was a cleaning up of what was viewed as the worst excesses of the time and in turn, led to its own excess.

I think the cult of reason was just a natural extension of what was going on at the time.

None the less, I think we should own up to them, without making any excuses, or even trying to place them in context.

It doesn't matter that other people in the same country and the same time were doing worse, of that there was a general backlash going on against what the religious had been doing, or that the religious (over the years) have done far worse.

They did it.  It was wrong.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)