Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mississippi church refuse to marry couple

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 8:22 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 136 Total Views

why?:

They had booked their wedding far in advance. The invitations had been sent, the programs printed. But one day before Charles and Te’Andrea Wilson were to be married at the Mississippi church they frequented, they said a pastor told them they would have to find another venue — because they were black.

There has never been a black wedding at the First Baptist Church in Crystal Springs, Miss., since its founding in 1883. According to Pastor Stan Weatherford, some church members objected so strongly to breaking that precedent, they threatened to oust him from his pastorship.

Rather than risk his job, Weatherford, who is white, said he decided to marry the pair at a black church down the road.

"My 9-year-old was going to the church with us. How would you say to your 9-year-old daughter, 'We cannot get married here because, guess what sweetie, we're black,'" Charles Wilson told ABC's affiliate WAPT-TV.

http://news.yahoo.com/mississppi-church-refuses-marry-black-couple-205218322--abc-news-topstories.html

Or when "post-racism" meets Christian love. Smooth. Really smooth. Hope your happy Mississippi.

by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 8:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
FrogSalad
by Susie K-M on Aug. 18, 2012 at 9:11 PM

The pastor could have made a stand.  Yet he chose to cave in to the bigots to save his job (which may or may not have been in jeopardy).

I hope this didn't ruin the couple's wedding and that they find a more accepting church . . . or no church.

Simply_Janeen
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:51 PM
2 moms liked this

SHM, all I have to say to that is, with Christians like these, who needs Satan?

robibuni
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 11:59 PM
Wow. I have no words.

We like to think we live in a more modern society where racism isn't an issue, but I guess not. Hell I deal with it often...I'm white and married *gasp* a Mexican!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)