Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not what I wanted.

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 8:02 AM
  • 19 Replies
  • 498 Total Views

I created a competition to celebrate my 30th birthday and my 3rd wedding anniversary on a pedometer/walking site I belong to. Someone commented on my avatar (the same one I use here). I told them where I got it from and that I am bi.

One of the competitors wrote this:

Marriage between one man and one woman was created by God...equality has nothing to do with it...no one can improve on what God has created.   People of the same sex certainly may choose to live together, but God doesn't give us the option to call it marriage.   Yes, we need love...God created that too, and He did create us equal, but we must not define marriage in our terms...our Creator has that right.

I don't know if I should ignore it or try to reply as nicely as I can.

by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 8:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Simply_Janeen
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 11:44 AM

If I recall, some of the marriages in the Bible were pretty screwed up so um...you know, if all anyone can come up with against same sex marriage is a book written thousands of years ago, I would just ignore it because they obviously lack some serious critical thinking skills. I mean, if that's ALL someone can say against it, I mean seriously! Ugh! Drives me nuts when ANYONE uses the Bible as an excuse for doing something or not doing something. These people need to use their freaking HEADS! I want to smack my husband when he does this too, he'll say he "doesn't have a choice" because it's what the Bible says and I'll just look at him and say, "You ALWAYS have a choice. In the past, you have chosen NOT to follow these rules, you can always choose not to follow them again, don't give me this don't have any choice crap!" Ugh. Sorry, this is a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

Bangle
by Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Why did they feel the need to interject?  The post really didn't seem to be about gay marriage.... why do you have to ignore it when they did not ignore your post?  I say reply.  Besides, the bible should not be where we get the laws that rule this country.  Love is love is love anyway,  ugh people are so closeminded. 

lilangilyn
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I would go all passive agressive. I would quote her reply and then underneath it, write, "Hit the ignore button." That way she knows you have seen it but are choosing to ignore her stupidity.

kellysparkles
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I would point out that a man could rape a woman and all would be forgive if he just paid 12 shillings (I converted it once and I believe it was about $25 usd) to that girl's father.  Then the rape would be forgiven and he would now own this female.  Now, given recent light to some biblical stupidity, I don't know if the bible spoke of "legitimate rape" since we never knew if those victims ever got pregnant...

If we're going to use fiction books for real life examples, then point out that "Tonks" was a half-blood witch and she married "Lupin" who was a half-blood wizard suffering from being a werewolf and nothing negative ever came of that (nerdy Harry Potter reference).

kellysparkles
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this

BTW - happy birthday/anniversary :)

SallyB_LMT
by Stargazerah on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:42 PM

If you feel the need to reply I would mention that biblical marriage is plural...multiple wives is not uncommon in the area of the bible they like to quote from.  I don't think that the one man one woman argument is valid at all, not from any biblical standpoint at least.  If you look at most of the biblical marriages there are multiple wives.  Wives were property, the bible gives them the protection of not being sold into slavery, however they can be set aside if they are not pleasing their husband...sent home to their father's home.  I think the children could be sold though...that period in history was rather screwed up.  Unfortunately many people choose the parts of the bible they are going to quote and they take things out of context and act all sanctimonious about it.  I believe that people should have an equal right to marriage, it should be a contract deal that has nothing to do with religion.  There should be no problem with anyone who is of legal consenting age marrying anyone else of legal consenting age.  If you prefer women to men or men to women as a man...you should be provided the same legal rights as anyone else who enters into a lifesharing contract. 

karone04
by Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Thanks, my birthday was the 11th. Anniversary isn't until November 13th.

Quoting kellysparkles:

BTW - happy birthday/anniversary :)

MyMyOhMy
by ImNotThatGod! on Aug. 23, 2012 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Marriage in the bible is between one man one woman and any number of concubines. Customes change and I'm not a superstutious bronze age jewish sheep herder.

Marry whom you please and love them for all you are worth.

Mindaria
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 7:57 PM

I would send her this lol! She sounds like a dumb twit, then do what the other poster said and block her so she can't give you her sheepish dribble anymore. 

Quoting MyMyOhMy:

Marriage in the bible is between one man one woman and any number of concubines. Customes change and I'm not a superstutious bronze age jewish sheep herder.

Marry whom you please and love them for all you are worth.

JLGiles
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 8:06 PM
3 moms liked this

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)