Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

xmas vs Christmas...

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:53 AM
  • 12 Replies
  • 440 Total Views
I am about to drop the BOMB in our catholic extended family. We have decided to raise Mr. X out of religion. We want him to choose his religion if he is incline to but we are not forcing it on him. We were both raised catholic but we really don't follow it. However Christmas is the celebration of birth of Christ to his family and Santa leaves presents on both families. We have decided that in our house our child will know the truth. Presents are given by mom and dad not by an imaginary jolly fat guy and though it all started with "the birth of Jesus" (or so goes the story) we do it because it is possible and is a way of showing appreciation as are hugs and kisses.

However we got small nephews and nieces and I am afraid what the reaction will be.

Any advice?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Allie428
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't tell the neices and nephews there is no Santa. I also raised my dd without the belief in Santa but I always told her it is a game adults play with kids, and if she told kids the truth it would make them sad. She loved having inside knowledge. The last couple of years she has wanted to play the Santa game, so I go with it, and leave a present from Santa, and we leave out the cookies. Last spring the Easter bunny visited and left yellow paw prints all over her room. I grew up without holidays and missed out on all the fun. She is a critical thinker and I have always told her the truth, so playing the game is exciting, magical, and just a game.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MyMyOhMy
by ImNotThatGod! on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this

We rotate through various different winter holidays. Its fun and even slightly educational. Also the xtians stole xmas. Jesus, if he existed, would have been born at tax time - not mid winter when no on travels.

XVAmomma
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:26 PM
Oh! We aren't saying anything to the LO in the family. We even respect their parents wish and "Santa" leaves gifts for the LO at our home. We believe to each their own to raise and be raised. I am afraid how their parents will react to the news.

Quoting Allie428:

I wouldn't tell the neices and nephews there is no Santa. I also raised my dd without the belief in Santa but I always told her it is a game adults play with kids, and if she told kids the truth it would make them sad. She loved having inside knowledge. The last couple of years she has wanted to play the Santa game, so I go with it, and leave a present from Santa, and we leave out the cookies. Last spring the Easter bunny visited and left yellow paw prints all over her room. I grew up without holidays and missed out on all the fun. She is a critical thinker and I have always told her the truth, so playing the game is exciting, magical, and just a game.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Allie428
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:26 PM
Well, in that case just stick to your beliefs and allow them their reactions. I have realized that is all we can do if we want to be happy. Good luck.

Quoting XVAmomma:

Oh! We aren't saying anything to the LO in the family. We even respect their parents wish and "Santa" leaves gifts for the LO at our home. We believe to each their own to raise and be raised. I am afraid how their parents will react to the news.

Quoting Allie428:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Brieshon
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this
We just told our almost 6-year-old twins about how Santa isn't real, but that we'll still give them presents in their stockings. I'm not sure if they believe us - they process new information by making up stories about it, so after our explanation, they told us that of course Santa WAS real, but he died from getting trampled by a stampede of reindeer.

We also tried to explain why we would be celebrating Giftmas instead of Christmas, but we got a similar story about how Jesus was also real, but she (they said Jesus was a girl for this story) died from a stampede of elephants, giraffes, lions, and leopards. O__o

We'll try again later. :)

Thankfully, we don't talk to hubby's family (who are Jehovah's Witnesses and don't celebrate holidays anyway), and my family is pretty non-religious, so we just celebrate what we want for the reasons we want. One year we had so much cultural diversity in the family that we celebrated Kwanzmasukkahstice. Lol!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caito
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 1:33 AM

There's no Jesus in our Christmas. We sing the songs (even the religious ones), but it's no big deal. Santa's not a big deal either, we just say "Santa's coming!" but we don't do crazy stuff like putting out cookies and milk and carrots and dirt on the carpet and crap. My mom HATES that, omg she gets pissed every year. And my dad got mad that I didn't want to teach Joss about Jesus and Christmas and stuff.

LindaClement
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:31 AM
1 mom liked this

It actually 'all started' with Mithras... the gifts, the virgin birth, the star in the east, the wise men, the candles, the nativity, the trees... the date. http://www.edwardjayne.com/christology/mithra.html

We celebrate what we grew up celebrating: an entirely secular event centred around presents, food and holiday decor, called 'christmas' but really about Santa... on or around the 25th of December (it's moved a few times for various reasons)...

We don't make a big deal about the Santa component and can't be bothered mentioning the Jesus side at all... our tree is topped with a star, always has been. The 'angels' the kids made over the years are as real to them (and all of us) as the kleenex ghosts at Halloween...

JuneH
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Presents are brought by the christmas goat, who knocks on the door and leaves the presents in a great stocking just inside the vesibule, where you keep your skiis. You should leave out a bowl of porridge for him or he might pass your house by. The Christmas goat is very shy, so no one should try to stay up looking for him.

My kids are Swedish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yule_Goat (not exactly the best description, but too lazy to find something better)

XVAmomma
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:57 PM
Wow! Never heard about the goat before. We aren't using any character. We will be the ones who give the gifts in the morning after breakfast. Just as if it was a birthday we buy it we gift it if you deserve it. :) But it is nice to learn about others ways and traditions.

Quoting JuneH:

Presents are brought by the christmas goat, who knocks on the door and leaves the presents in a great stocking just inside the vesibule, where you keep your skiis. You should leave out a bowl of porridge for him or he might pass your house by. The Christmas goat is very shy, so no one should try to stay up looking for him.

My kids are Swedish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yule_Goat (not exactly the best description, but too lazy to find something better)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JuneH
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:04 PM

...and every year they put up a massive straw goat in Gävle, not far from where we lived, and they have 24-hour cctv pointed at it but every year it doesn't take long for it to be burnt to the ground. It's a yearly ritual now and people take bets on how long the goat will last. Ways of burning it down have become quite inventive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN