Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Coming out" as an atheist

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 2:14 PM
  • 26 Replies
  • 991 Total Views
I've always been the type of person who avoids "stepping on toes" or causing any sort if issue, but lately I've started to resent that. I'm having a hard time stomaching all of the uber religious posts or comments from friends and family members on Facebook. I hate that they can be all sunshine and dandelions about their "I love Jesus" stuff and no one ever takes issue with it (out loud) while I keep my thoughts to myself for fear of having to defend or argue with people. It isn't that I want to push my thoughts on others or shove anything in their faces, I just want to be able to be as honest as they can be. I understand that they are not telling me to remain silent so it isn't their fault, but I can't help but be increasingly annoyed by all of it.
So my question is, is there a need to "come out" publicly as an atheist or should I just keep my thoughts to myself so as to avoid being like the people I complain about? My main issue is my aunt (who is on my Facebook) and my in laws who I'm sure would be made aware of my "shocking" revelation. I'm not afraid of them or anything, I just don't want to argue with them or have to defend my views, especially since I refrain from saying things to their "share this if you love Jesus, ignore if you want to rot in hell" posts...
Maybe I'm making too big of a deal of all of this but it really has been eating at me for a while now and I don't want it to turn into a situation where I just blow up and speak my mind without being tactful/respectful.
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Clairwil
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 3:34 PM
Quoting carleighbriley:

is there a need to "come out" publicly as an atheist or should I just keep my thoughts to myself

The more people who come out, the easier it is for others to come out.

But there isn't a moral obligation to do that particular action over some other use of your time, any more than you are morally obliged to give to Oxfam rather than Amnesty.   It is a matter of personal choice, which battles you pick to fight in your life.

FrogSalad
by Susie K-M on Nov. 11, 2012 at 4:52 PM

I agree with what Clair said.

It's all a matter of what you're comfortable with doing.  My "coming out" was more in my head than doing so vocally, I simply made the decision that when asked about it, I will tell whoever asks that I'm atheist.  But I don't feel the necessity to offer the information unsolicited.

bloodytears1986
by Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this

FYI, There is a book coming out by David G McAfee called "Mom, Dad, I'm an Atheist: The Guide to Coming Out as a Non-believer." I can't remember the exact day but I think he said some time this month. You might want to check that out when it comes out. Good luck!

Brieshon
by Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 8:32 PM

I didn't even have to come out to my family or my closest friends, but I still tend to keep my mouth shut around most people and online. I did start "liking" posts from atheist pages, which shows on other people's timelines, so I kind of passive-aggressively came out, lol. I did have one person (online friend only) unfriend me over it, but we talked about it and she (a conservative Christian republican - basically the exact opposite of me) said she has no problem at all with me posting whatever I want, but that she didn't want to explain anti-theist stuff to her daughter, who can see her screen. She ended up friending me again a couple weeks later, because we still get along on other levels. :)  

I am fortunate enough to not have any fundamentalist family that I have to maintain a relationship with online or IRL. (We don't talk to my husband's family, who are almost all Jehovah's Witnesses, violent criminals, hardcore drug addicts, abusers, or a combo of those. Just awful people.)

turtle68
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I had to block a couple of family members because their posts were just about how jesus is their saviour etc etc ..

it doesnt stop me posting stuff like People should put more thanks into doctors, technology instead of a fairy living in the clouds.

those same family members are probably blocking me :-)

prettyk8machine
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree. My whole family knew that I didn't believe in God (because I told them when I was 13, lol) but they thought I at least believed in something. Now, in an effort to be tactful and respectful, I will divulge information regarding my Atheism when I'm asked, and speak my mind when I feel it is necessary (including facebook posts... If they can love Jesus via facebook, why can't I love being intelligent and rational?), but I don't bash Christians, or dispute their absurd ideals unless they provoke me to do so. 

Quoting FrogSalad:

It's all a matter of what you're comfortable with doing.  My "coming out" was more in my head than doing so vocally, I simply made the decision that when asked about it, I will tell whoever asks that I'm atheist.  But I don't feel the necessity to offer the information unsolicited.

Chillisarah
by Spiritual Atheist on Nov. 12, 2012 at 4:11 PM

I agree with this...same for me.

Quoting FrogSalad:

Chillisarah
by Spiritual Atheist on Nov. 12, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I deal with the same stuff on my news feed so much so to the point that I unsubscribed to a handful of family members who post religious stuff all the time.

EleventeenQueen
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 7:09 PM

I'm still not out. Lol. My in-laws are extremely religious and my sister basically thinks her life wouldn't function without God showing her the way. I've been a bit more vocal about my beliefs and I think for the most part people are figuring it out. 

LindaClement
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Since the vast majority of my friends and family are atheist (even if they never say it out loud, they clearly don't have any 'faith' of any kind) this has never been an issue.

In fact, in these parts, people are much more shy to state a belief in the supernatural (except wiccans, who do rather drone on about it!)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)