Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

High School Atheist Group Quickly Branded as ‘Satanic' and ‘Anti-Religion'

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:50 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 432 Total Views

High School Atheist Group Quickly Branded as ‘Satanic' and ‘Anti-Religion'

November 16, 2012 By 17 Comments

It's not necessarily big news that high school atheist groups exist, but damn, it makes me happy when I hear about them :)

At Edward Little High School in Auburn, Maine, freshman Trevor Laliberte is quickly discovering how rewarding a group can be... and what young atheists are up against:

The Secular Student Alliance at Edward Little High School (Rahma Ali - The Eddies Echo)

The group has dealt with other students referring to the club as an "anti-religion club" and a "satanic group."

"It's giving people the wrong idea, because both of those things are far from what we're about," Laliberte said.

"It's a good idea for kids to talk about doubts they have about religion," [science teacher and advisor Dr. Andrew] Baca said, "It's a place for them to talk about their the big issues. I agreed to become the advisor so I could help them organize and make it really happen."

"After some help from the awesome people at the SSA, I figured out what I needed to do to make it happen," Laliberte said. "Since then, it's been really remarkable to watch the club grow, and its one of the most rewarding things I've done."

Trevor is a freshman. He has years to make this group bigger and better, deal productively with the stereotypes, and change his classmates' views of atheists. He's already completed the toughest step. Now he just has to keep at it.

by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
SinaiJ
by Yosaff Bridge on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:03 PM

If you don't believe in God, you must be a Satanist haha If you believe in one, you believe in the other, first off. Secondly, Satanism is more along the lines of believing in yourself and respecting those around you, which is probably the best 'comandments' I've ever heard of haha

Nature_girl
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:48 AM

To believe in Satan, don't you have to believe in God. Plus god killed more people in the bible then Satan. Anyway, I am tired and in fear of rambling.

romalove
by SakePrincess on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:19 AM

I love it.  Secular Student Alliance.  I hope they get chapters in other schools.  

3JuJu3
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:44 AM

I wish I did this in high school.  I formed an environmental group when I was in high school (in the late 80's) and that was tough.  I can't imagine what this would have been like. 

KristenFowles
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I love it, especially as a Mainer myself, and only 30 minutes from Auburn ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN