Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

the pledge of alleegence

Posted by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:57 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 432 Total Views
1 mom liked this

I understand that some schools won't say the pledge because other religions and some say it's un patriotic not to say it.

My opionion is that id you are at school and want to say it,  then stand up put your hand on your heart and say it but for athesists and other religions is disrespectful.   We have our beliefs to and people should respect that.  I'm all about being patriotic and living in the home of the free but if people are forced to say something they don't belief in that's not really freedom is it?

by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
LindaClement
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Although we're Canadian, and we don't have one of those, I like my husband's take on this (and public prayers, and other people's national anthems, etc.): stand however you're supposed to stand, remove your head wear unless you're female, and stand still in silence until it's over, staring straight ahead.

Kerseygeek
by Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 2:04 PM
The problem is that a majority of the students will stand because most are Christan. You can't get around that so telling the few to just stand or sit there respectfully while all the other kids participate will cause more problems. It singles them out to the class & makes them look unpatriotic & sometimes worse unreligious. For kids this can be really hard to handle & lead to bullying. The pledge never should have had "under God" added. Even the man who wrote the pledge knew it shouldn't have been added & was even upset that it was. It needs to be removed.
conejoazul
by Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Not to mention it would be "unpatriotic" to point out that many of us Americans are not in agreement with America´s intense favorism for all of Israel´s wish list.  Or that we think it´d be a good idea to update or replace the national anthem with a song that doesn´t revere war, salvation by heaven or putting faith in God (with the Christian capital G) ........... and that is just in America.

lyrics from the Star Spangled Banner excerpted:

Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

SinaiJ
by Yosaff Bridge on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:57 PM
3 moms liked this

People seem to have forgotten that the settlers originally came here to escape religion, if I'm remembering correctly.

JTROX
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Just skip the part abour "under God."

warmi
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:04 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting JTROX:

Just skip the part abour "under God."

my son who is in kindergarden came home the other day and told me that they taught him to sing a song about god. i was concerned since he does go to a public school. so i asked him to sing it for me. it was the pledge of allegiance. he felt uncomfortable enough to ask me what he should do (i'm sooo proud of him). so i told him what I did when i was young, just to keep the "under god" part out. he sang it, froze at that part and continued to the end.

MyMyOhMy
by ImNotThatGod! on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Bellamy's original Pledge read as follows:[8][9]

I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
DragonMother10
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:46 PM
When I became an atheist, I was still in grade school. I would stand up and didn't recite the pledge after the national anthem. I went to school with a Jehovah's Witness and he stood up with his hands in front of him and nothing more or nothing less. I did the same as I got older.

People don't realize that they didn't always have the word "god" in everything. Our forefathers wanted to keep church and state seperate. Some idiot(s) messed that up.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pcsainco
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:01 AM
I volunteer a lot in my dd's classrooms and I'm usually around for the pledge. I just say "one nation under the law" instead of the god bit. My girls can decide for themselves what they want to do and I've had conversions with their teachers about this, too...mainly to let them know that my dd might be saying something different and ask for their support.

My oldest was watching a Porky Pig cartoon this past weekend and noticed that the pledge Porky said did NOT have "god" in it! Thanks Loony Tunes! Things weren't always this way....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)