Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can the winter holiday season move one's atheism towards anti-theism?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 12:05 PM
  • 20 Replies
  • 542 Total Views

While I am in agreement with the premise of anti-theism, that religion and religionists are threatening and dangerous to the non-religious and society as a whole, I am aware of the off-putting nature of proactive efforts made by the non-religious in their efforts to hold off theocracy in this country.

This time of year, however, typically inspires me  toward open rebellion against the hold religion has on this country, christianism in particular.

Does anyone else feel somewhat anti-theistic during this season?

I don't believe in god, but I'm afraid of him.

PIV sex may be bad for women.

by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TimeLady
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 12:45 PM
4 moms liked this
Oh, definitely. I'm always somewhat anti- theistic (especially during the election, holy crap in a pita) but all the " reason for the season" and " keep Christ in Christmas" bullshit makes me want to strangle people.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
redheadbluesoul
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, I agree.  The election season was rough.  I kept thinking most people I saw were wingnuts.  I felt paranoid and suspicious of people.  Everyday I would read about some new piece of asshattery coming from the religious right.  I really feel that this year they all let it be known that they are exactly who we always knew they were.  On a brighter note, after reading about the abysmal level of intelligence currently displayed by far too many elected officials, I now feel eminently qualified to run for office.

Brieshon
by Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 5:16 PM
Yep, I pretty much feel the same way as you. And I work at a Catholic hospital so that shit is eeeeeverywhere. Bah, humbug. Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FrogSalad
by Susie K-M on Dec. 1, 2012 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep.  After the election, I decided that I didn't have the energy for the War on Christmas this year so I'm claiming CO status. 

Quoting redheadbluesoul:

Yeah, I agree.  The election season was rough.  I kept thinking most people I saw were wingnuts.  I felt paranoid and suspicious of people.  Everyday I would read about some new piece of asshattery coming from the religious right.  I really feel that this year they all let it be known that they are exactly who we always knew they were.  On a brighter note, after reading about the abysmal level of intelligence currently displayed by far too many elected officials, I now feel eminently qualified to run for office.

Atheist Mama?  Join us!

How paramount the future is to the present when one is surrounded by children.  Charles Darwin

conejoazul
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 5:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I don´t think the season makes me any more anti-theist than the rest of the year, but I sometimes find it is exhausting to hope for much progress on the anti-theist approach in any sort of universal way.  At the risk of being misinterpreted as not tolerant, I just encounter so few people who are willing to move full-ahead with taking on the commitment that they are atheist or anti-theist to begin with ... It isn´t that I am trying to rush them, but, honestly, just to meet people who will take on the label as agnostic is a rare find for me.  The fear factor of letting go what they already doubt and recognizing how that doubt pervades so many practices and customs of the majority is something they refuse to take the next "step" with oftentimes. With so few people (at least in my vicinity) who will own up to - or -  take on the freedom of leaving deities behind for good, I somewhat resign myself to being surrounded by the annoyances that come with theism in policy-making, local customs and the headlines all the friggin´time.

Even my husband as an example ... He was telling me the other day how he thinks that being closet atheist is actually a push forward for a peaceful existence (um, okay, yep, I think we can all see the possibilities there) ... this was in reply to my asking him to speak up about his atheist beliefs on behalf of our child...He perceives speaking up about our difference as being completely confrontational and inappropriate.  I asked him how does his choice compare to the Christian daycare director who just presumed without asking that it was okay for her to start teaching our child (an hour a day for a three week period) about the miracle of Jesus Christ´s birth and all the value of celebrating it.  Is he willing to label her as confrontational and inappropriate? No, he wasn´t, he explained, that is just "tradition" ... To which I replied, no, it is repetition.  It wasn´t tradition the first time it was propagated and the story doesn´t even match its roots. It is simply viral.  Until atheism truly goes viral, I think most of us will feel burdened by the success of the theist majority.

KristiS11384
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 11:34 AM

I'm not anti-theist to begin with. That would include a whole hell of a lot more religions than just the bat nut Christian religious right. Furthermore not all Christians are bat nut religious right. I don't see the point in punishing the innocent for the few guilty crazies. Nor do I see the need for Atheism to "go viral". I simply think religion (or "lack" thereof) is a personal matter and should be kept as that. Nothing more, nothing less.  

robibuni
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, yes and no. I'm very much a "live and let live" Atheist, so as long as I'm kept out of someone's religious habits, I'm more or less a happy clam. My Christian grandparents (who basically raised me), always told me that whatever religion (or in my case, lack thereof) I choose, it's a personal thing. Nothing to parade around like so many Christians do...but I digress!

I will, however, say life is a little more on the annoying side for me, around Christmas. I hate gritting my teeth when I see "Jesus is the reason for the season" or like this one chick I know on FB, posted a picture of Santa Claus kneeling and praying over baby Jesus. I grit because I just want to keep the peace and truly for most Christian friends I have...I think of them as simpletons...they cling to Christianity because they're afraid of truly living and questioning. I also hate being asked why I celebrate Christmas if I don't believe in God!

All that being said, "The Little Drummer Boy" is my favorite Christmas Carol. Go figure :P

redheadbluesoul
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Quoting robibuni:

All that being said, "The Little Drummer Boy" is my favorite Christmas Carol. Go figure :P

It's funny, I always really liked that one, too.  I wonder why that is?  I mostly can't stand the rest.

robibuni
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:32 AM

See, I'm a HUGE fan of Christmas. Mostly because growing up, we had a secular Christmas and my mom, grandma, and grandpa made it MAGICAL for us. I mean, I can remember leaving cookies and milk, waking up, and getting a letter from Santa thanking me for the cookies and me freaking the crap out because "OMG! It's a letter from HIM!"

I enjoy Christmas music, but The Little Drummer Boy is my favorite because it was my grandma's favorite when she was alive. She was like, the most awesome person ever (died when I was 11).

Sorry, that was longer than I intended, heh. I'm long winded.

Quoting redheadbluesoul:

Quoting robibuni:

It's funny, I always really liked that one, too.  I wonder why that is?  I mostly can't stand the rest.

MyMyOhMy
by ImNotThatGod! on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:37 PM
2 moms liked this

Keep the professor X in X-mas.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)