Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can the winter holiday season move one's atheism towards anti-theism?

While I am in agreement with the premise of anti-theism, that religion and religionists are threatening and dangerous to the non-religious and society as a whole, I am aware of the off-putting nature of proactive efforts made by the non-religious in their efforts to hold off theocracy in this country.

This time of year, however, typically inspires me  toward open rebellion against the hold religion has on this country, christianism in particular.

Does anyone else feel somewhat anti-theistic during this season?

I don't believe in god, but I'm afraid of him.

PIV sex may be bad for women.

by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 12:05 PM
Replies (11-20):
Clairwil
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:15 PM
Quoting conejoazul:

the miracle of Jesus Christ´s birth and all the value of celebrating it

[...]

just "tradition" ... To which I replied, no, it is repetition.  It wasn´t tradition the first time it was propagated and the story doesn´t even match its roots. It is simply viral.  Until atheism truly goes viral, I think most of us will feel burdened by the success of the theist majority.

I love what you just said.  Thought provoking.

Here's my thoughts so far...

Atheism can't go viral, but it can be carried as a 'pay load' by something else that does go viral, such as secular humanism or certain forms of Buddhism.

The reason I think Atheism itself can't go viral is that there are no practices intrinsically associated with it (such as meeting in a church, and frowning at those who don't go to church), no beliefs that people ought to be atheist.

conejoazul
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this

You may have a point there.  I´m not sure what is needed for atheism to go viral, so-to-speak.  I mean we certainly haven´t succeeded yet in marketing the sheer fun of living a life liberated from the burden of being under the influence of spiritual forces.  It also seems to me that a big hindrance to people leaping forward with an atheist-based life approach is that it really necessitates an intense willingness to constantly look for answers in all the "harder" places (science, debate, examined and evolving philsophies, self-prescripted morality in exchange for no third party rewards, etc.).

A lot of people balk at the idea that their life education has only just begun when they hit their twenties, thinking that they have finished schooling, etc. and that they know basically most of what needs to be known. I notice a lot of people who are atheists take a different route, thinking that at that same age ( 18 to 26) they have only just scratched the surface of 'learning how to learn, and to investigate, and to evaluate, and to reason, etc. for themselves.' Personally, I can accept that any question I can think of has an answer even if I haven´t found it yet (or studied enough to unravel it, or read up on the findings of someone else who has worked through the same question or even if it will allude me and others for a lifetime) - that doesn´t equate to complacency in us  atheists, but it does motivate a lot of us to not settle for poorly-formed explanations. As we often repeat in atheist discussions, religion or even the lingering hope of a god-type option that many agnostics save space for, takes much of the "learning" burden off of the believers.  It is so much easier to check questions "off" as answered if the supernatural can be evoked to resolve a conundrum.  It is also easier to shift the responsibility for good or bad results to other sources rather than always considering what role we are playing in the events that surround is.  I tend to think atheism simply is too much work for the masses.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting conejoazul:

the miracle of Jesus Christ´s birth and all the value of celebrating it

[...]

just "tradition" ... To which I replied, no, it is repetition.  It wasn´t tradition the first time it was propagated and the story doesn´t even match its roots. It is simply viral.  Until atheism truly goes viral, I think most of us will feel burdened by the success of the theist majority.

I love what you just said.  Thought provoking.

Here's my thoughts so far...

Atheism can't go viral, but it can be carried as a 'pay load' by something else that does go viral, such as secular humanism or certain forms of Buddhism.

The reason I think Atheism itself can't go viral is that there are no practices intrinsically associated with it (such as meeting in a church, and frowning at those who don't go to church), no beliefs that people ought to be atheist.

Simply_Janeen
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:30 PM

See, it tends to make me feel that way for other reasons. My husband is a Christian who doesn't celebrate Christmas and will not even tolerate ME celebrating Christmas. He will give me crap about anything I do that is remotely related to the holiday. Some years, I get my spunk on and tell him what he can do with himself and other years, I don't have the energy to fight. This year is more of a year where I just don't have the energy to fight. Man do I look forward to the day I'm divorced from him and I can actually live my damn life! Just need the girls to get a little older first though there are days I just want to walk out and not even try to keep the girls. *sigh*

Simply_Janeen
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Some of my favorite Christmas songs are the more christian ones though I tend to go more for instrumental and to go towards groups like Mannheim Steamroller and Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Though I will say too that cats singing Christmas carols is incredibly adorable. :D

SWasson
by Sara on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this

You know, I love Christmas trees, I love Christmas lights, I love singing Christmas carols, I love giving presents to my friends and family. But the "War on Christmas" people piss me off to no end.

momtoscott
by Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:23 PM

I was just thinking about this the other day, because in general I'm a live and let live person and believe that people who are religious have a complex set of reasons for believing that are mostly under the surface of conscious thought... and then I get the aggressively Christian CHRISTmas card from my father which basically says, Christmas is religious only and you'd better remember that, and so is kind of a fuck-you to me and my family... Pisses me off enough to feel pretty anti-theist for a bit. 

FrogSalad
by Susie K-M on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Wow.  I'm sorry your dad is being an ass.

Quoting momtoscott:

I was just thinking about this the other day, because in general I'm a live and let live person and believe that people who are religious have a complex set of reasons for believing that are mostly under the surface of conscious thought... and then I get the aggressively Christian CHRISTmas card from my father which basically says, Christmas is religious only and you'd better remember that, and so is kind of a fuck-you to me and my family... Pisses me off enough to feel pretty anti-theist for a bit. 

Atheist Mama?  Join us!

How paramount the future is to the present when one is surrounded by children.  Charles Darwin

Clairwil
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Maybe we ought to create an official sticky thread in our open forum:

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL OUR FRIENDS ON CAFEMOM, FROM THE CAFEMOM ATHEISTS

With pictures of trees, lights, snowmen, etc.

*giggles*

FrogSalad
by Susie K-M on Dec. 8, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Done!

Quoting Clairwil:

Maybe we ought to create an official sticky thread in our open forum:

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL OUR FRIENDS ON CAFEMOM, FROM THE CAFEMOM ATHEISTS

With pictures of trees, lights, snowmen, etc.

*giggles*

Atheist Mama?  Join us!

How paramount the future is to the present when one is surrounded by children.  Charles Darwin

mommamaggi
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:54 AM

I've been an anti-theist since childhood, this time of year is just more annoying than anything else to me because the christians I know have no idea of the history of christmas and I get so sick of all the keep the christ in christmas remarks that I feel the need to give a long history lesson lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)