Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did Jesus Exist? - a debate

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm going to post four pieces, two for, and two against.

Then pick your side, and make your case!

by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 6:54 AM
Replies (11-14):
bloodytears1986
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:51 PM

A Jesus, yes. THE Jesus, no. Pretty much what was said here. A good read also for this sort of topic is "Nailed, Ten Christian Myths That Show Jesus Never Existed At All." By: David Fitzgerald.

Quoting MyMyOhMy:

There were doubtless people named "Jesus" or ישוע‎ (Yēšûă‘).

So the question becomes could any of these people have been the basis of the non mythic potions of the Jesus story.

Its prety obvious much of the Jesus story was just stolen from other sources. I would say the entire birth story is a wash. Bethlehem hadn't been founded, Roman census never happened then and didn't happen like that, tax time is not in winter, the obvious rip offs from the moses story, etc.

So we are left with the really short snip of his life at the end.

No historians of the day make note of any of the events. Many of the jewish customs are gotten wrong or left out. The gospels disagree on things that should have been trivial to get right and there is evidence of the later xtians tampering with the records to try and fill in the missing christ.

In short it is wholly unbelievable.

It seems to have been a number of mythic threads which were taken over by Paul and turned into his religion.

There may have been a group which he took over that had a Jesus at one point, but that person seems lost to the story.

Nature_girl
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Can I vote it doens't matter. I don't mind having our yearly calendar based on his birth. Shoot we have named the days of the weeks and the months and the planets after other fictional dieties.

There are lots of people that claim to be things they aren't. Being a god, a son of god, or a prophet are just some of them.

Joseph Smith existed and started a religion too. Doesn't mean much to me that a person that claims crazy ass stuff has other crazies belief him and they start a club.

MyMyOhMy
by ImNotThatGod! on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Actually it matters quite a bit to most xtians because the person of Jesus is necessary for their story "salvation" and without it the whole thing falls apart.

Joe on the other hand is essentially just some guy.

Quoting Nature_girl:

Can I vote it doens't matter. I don't mind having our yearly calendar based on his birth. Shoot we have named the days of the weeks and the months and the planets after other fictional dieties.

There are lots of people that claim to be things they aren't. Being a god, a son of god, or a prophet are just some of them.

Joseph Smith existed and started a religion too. Doesn't mean much to me that a person that claims crazy ass stuff has other crazies belief him and they start a club.

midjet117
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:27 AM
The virgin Mary was a druggie prostitute. That's why she doesn't remember conceiving Jesus lol. They were all on drugs or were drunk most of the time
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)