Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Horror movies suck

SlightlyPerfect
When you find "The Interview" online...
Yesterday at 9:25 PM
Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:35 AM
  • 18 Replies
  • 558 Total Views

As atheists, do you find it difficult to get into horror movies based in the supernatural or with supernatural elements? I'm finding I can't suspend disbelief when it comes to this genre. Really ruins the experience for me.

slightlyperfect

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FrogSalad
by Susie K-M on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Most of the time, I enjoy movies with a supernatural element. 

What annoys me is when an atheist character finds god or is angry at god and has a spiritual awakening during the movie.  Breaks the movie spell for me and highlights the lazy script-writing.

Brieshon
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:53 PM
I just don't like horror movies, lol. They're either too gory, too cheesy, or too reliant on visual schticks thereby forfeiting the chance for a decent story. Or all of the above, lol.

I do enjoy (good) fantasy and magical stories, though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Clairwil
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I enjoy vampire stories.   I guess I characterise god as just another mythic beast, such as a vampire, and suspect disbelief for the duration of the story.

Bangle
by Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:51 PM

No, I don't find it difficult.  I generaly enjoy them.  I was very disappointed in the ending of LOST when it turned all churchy.  I read that a bunch of new movies are being made based on different bible stories.  Now Brad Pitt is to star in one.  So I thought that was odd.  I guess though that if you are an actor you can do any role.  But the thing that bothers me is that with bible/god/religious books/movies compared to say vampires or zombies.  Is that so many people believe the bible stuff.  I mean we all know that zombies aren't real. Does any of that make sense?  Did I go OT too much!?

ashellbell
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:08 PM
I really got in to the first season of 'American Horror Story'. I enjoyed the supernatural element until they made it all about the anti Christ and what not.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Nature_girl
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Never had a horror movie scare me. Startle yes, but scare no. I find them stupid. I really wanted to like them. I never put two and two together as to why I cant' get scared about them. I won't watch bloody ones like SAW and such because I hate the voilence. Bummer, guess I'll stick to romantic comedies. :)

Nature_girl
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:17 PM

http://youtu.be/7N5OhNplEd4

Check out this link thought. Scary elevator prank. I think I would be a bit frightened at first too. The set up is perfect.

Nature_girl
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Brad Pitt enjoys doing mythcial movies. He was in Troy, so you know, he can be in another mythical movie, even if the book they took it from is widely believed as truth. :) Perhaps if they make more movies about stories, people will view them as stories. :)

Probably not, wishful thinking. Ihope they do Noah and really hit hard on the fact that god killed millions of people in a flood. But he is SOOOO LOVING and FORGIVING>

Quoting Bangle:

No, I don't find it difficult.  I generaly enjoy them.  I was very disappointed in the ending of LOST when it turned all churchy.  I read that a bunch of new movies are being made based on different bible stories.  Now Brad Pitt is to star in one.  So I thought that was odd.  I guess though that if you are an actor you can do any role.  But the thing that bothers me is that with bible/god/religious books/movies compared to say vampires or zombies.  Is that so many people believe the bible stuff.  I mean we all know that zombies aren't real. Does any of that make sense?  Did I go OT too much!?

Bangle
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Yes Noah is one of the stories.  I read the article in the latest Entertainment Weekly magazine.  

SWasson
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I have never liked horror movies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN