Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

As atheists, do you find it difficult to get into horror movies based in the supernatural or with supernatural elements? I'm finding I can't suspend disbelief when it comes to this genre. Really ruins the experience for me.

slightlyperfect

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Replies (11-18):
AshandJax
by Group Admin on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:23 PM

I love horror!

i just put supernatural and religious (if any) in the realm of ancient religion...or fairy tale. . They can get a little rediculas though... Then it annoys me... But for the most part, I like a good scare. 

Simply_Janeen
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:43 PM

I've never been real big on horror movies, not a genre I'm into all that much though some of the Stephan King novels/movies are pretty good.

SlightlyPerfect
by Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:47 PM

That show is actually what brought on this post. I can't get into it. In fact, I found it annoying, and I turned it off at episode 3.

Quoting ashellbell:

I really got in to the first season of 'American Horror Story'. I enjoyed the supernatural element until they made it all about the anti Christ and what not.

slightlyperfect

mnclarkefamily
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:26 PM

You mean there's no such things as ghosts?

3JuJu3
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:08 PM

I like horror movies, especially good ones.  I'm not really into slasher flicks, they're boring and slightly disturbing.  Psychological horror movies are the best.  I like a movie that explores what scares us or why certain things are scary.  I don't have a problem suspending my disbelief any more than I do when watching a romantic comedy! 

AimSnapHolz
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Not really. I view it the same as any other nonfiction, and I let my imagination take me to that place for the entertainment.

iSarah
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:53 PM
This

Quoting FrogSalad:

Most of the time, I enjoy movies with a supernatural element. 

What annoys me is when an atheist character finds god or is angry at god and has a spiritual awakening during the movie.  Breaks the movie spell for me and highlights the lazy script-writing.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SinaiJ
by Yosaff Bridge on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:46 PM

I actually really like horror movies, unfortunately they're all so shitty, unless it's Asian horror (which is usually centered around spiritual beliefs). As a writer I enjoy any story as long as it's good. I actually really like movies that are religious themed and am writing a screenplay (how great would that be to take off!? A story about religion written by an ATHEIST! haha) haha Like Marilyn Manson has said about the bible, "I like it as a book." In my opinion it's a part of history and interesting, even though it's total bullshit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN