Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advantage to being atheist #32 : Spam resistance

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:43 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 298 Total Views

When was the last time you saw anything like the following, but targetted at atheists?

(I just received this in my CafeMom message inbox)

Greetings.
Greetings to you and your family in the name of God,in my search for a reliable and God fearing person and having gotten your contact through prayers and pains taking efforts via searching I made on the internet on my bed side. Presently, I'm in a hospital where I have been undergoing treatment for Oesophagi Cancer.

Though its a sad and long story but I will cut it short for your quick and easy understanding. I am Julien Kowan(Mrs), widow to Late Mr.Iwuagwu Kowan, former Defence attachee to Greece Embassy in Cote D'Ivoire. My husband was murdered alonside our only son Elvis by those who are envious of his position in the same office.

Before his death he made a vow to use his wealth ($3.5m) for the down trodden,orphanages and the less privileged in the society. Having known my condition I decided to donate this fund to an individual or better still a God fearing person who will utilize this money the way I am going to instruct here in. I want an individual that will use this fund and provide succor to poor and indigent persons, orphanages, and widows and for the propagating peace.

I took this decision because I do not have any child that will inherit this money and my husband relatives are not inclined to helping poor persons and I do not want my husband's hard earned money to be misused or spent in the manner in which my late husband did not specify. I do not want a situation where this money will be used in an ungodly manner.
What is required of you is your honesty, trust and sincerity. Any delay in your reply will give me room in sourcing for another individual for this same purpose.

May God Almighty bless you.

Your Sister,
Mrs Julien Kowan 
pls reply me with my email for security reasons/
julienkowan99@yahoo.com
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Clairwil
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:46 AM
5 moms liked this
Quoting the spammer:

in my search for a reliable and God fearing person and having gotten your contact through prayers and pains taking efforts via searching I made on the internet

Does anyone else find it hilarious that the spammer is claiming that, after hard search through CafeMom, the person they have picked as being the most "reliable and God fearing" is me, Clairwil?

*giggles*

Clairwil
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:52 AM

(By the way "Julien Kowan" is a name commonly used by 419 scammers.  Google it, some time.)

People who are bored may enjoy reading the results of people turning the tables:

http://www.419baiter.com/games.html

SinaiJ
by Yosaff Bridge on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:55 AM

So scammers have taken to CM in their attempt to scam now, aye? haha

FrogSalad
by Susie K-M on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:41 PM

It's hard to believe that anyone continues to be conned by scams like this but it must work on some people or they wouldn't keep doing it.

Clairwil
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:13 PM
Quoting FrogSalad:

It's hard to believe that anyone continues to be conned by scams like this but it must work on some people or they wouldn't keep doing it.

Most victims are elderly:

(source)

Lots of scams come by phone or by mail, but when the scam artist is right in front of you, researchers say the clues are in the face.

"A smile that is in the mouth but doesn't go up to the eyes, an averted gaze, a backward lean" are some of the ways deception may present itself, says Shelley Taylor, a psychologist at UCLA.

Taylor wanted to know if older people recognized these visual cues as readily as younger people. She brought 119 adults older than 55 into the research lab along with 24 younger adults in their 20s. Both groups were shown 30 photographs, each depicting either a trustworthy, a neutral or an untrustworthy face.

"The older adults rated the trustworthy faces and the neutral faces exactly the same as the younger adults did, but when it got to the cues of untrustworthiness, they didn't process those cues as well," she says. "They rated those people as much more trustworthy than the younger adults did."

In a small follow-up study using brain imaging, Taylor's findings suggest older adults may have less activity in the very area of the brain that processes risk and subtle danger. Another possible reason older adults don't pick up on warning signs, she says, is an increasing bias against negativity.

"It's part of this effort to make life more positive after a certain point in life, which is normally just a wonderful thing," Shelley says. "Older adults are really great emotional regulators, but it leaves them with this particular vulnerability so that they don't recognize untrustworthy cues when they should."

Junk Mail And Other Scams

A survey last year from the AARP analyzed the behavior of 723 victims of fraud and compared them to the general public. The survey found the average age of fraud victims was 69.

romalove
by SakePrincess on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:01 AM

My in laws were almost scammed by a telephone scammer last year.  They almost got taken in the "my grandson called from a Mexican prison" scam, where they get a call saying it's their grandson and he went for a weekend with friends and got thrown in jail and they have to send money to bail him out and he's afraid to tell Mom and Dad so they ask Grandma instead.  My in laws went so far as to go to Western Union and try to send the money, but they were alert there to the scam, started asking questions, and finally got my in laws to call me to check if my son was in or out of the country.

On the other hand, my college educated brother in law got an email about winning a lottery he never entered and having to send fees to claim the money because it was outside the country, and was going to do it until I convinced him it was a scam.

SMH over people's stupidity and greed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)