Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i did it

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:08 PM
  • 16 Replies
  • 486 Total Views
3 moms liked this
I finally came out of my atheist closet. It was awkward but I feel great now I just worry how it will affect my family.

I was talking to my dad on fb he's a pastor he was asking me why I'm not going to church. So I said because I'm atheist. And I only went before to please the family.

He went offline so I left a note saying "I always have been atheist I'm still the same person I always was but now I'm being honest about myself "

He sent me a message back saying "I still love you you my baby girl "

It felt so good to tell him the truth I have lied to him out of fear of rejection for years and now all I have to worry about is my mother who is even more religious than my dad.

I also changed my fb and now it says I'm atheist. A few people have unfriended me for it but idgaf.

Did any of you keep it a secret and one day just come out with the truth?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FrogSalad
by Susie K-M on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Congratulations.  I'm glad it went well for you.

I was checking out the forum at the end of my break today and a coworker came up and saw Atheist Mamas.  She didn't say anything about it and neither did I.  I don't hide it but I don't talk about it at work, either, so I felt a little awkward.

babie113
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:42 PM
I bet

And thank you. I just hope my mum takes it well too but idk

Quoting FrogSalad:

Congratulations.  I'm glad it went well for you.

I was checking out the forum at the end of my break today and a coworker came up and saw Atheist Mamas.  She didn't say anything about it and neither did I.  I don't hide it but I don't talk about it at work, either, so I felt a little awkward.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DragonMother10
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:43 PM
I didn't have to tell my parents, but they knew my brother and I were no longer religious. I don't know if they know we are atheists, but it's just been normal.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
babie113
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:50 PM
Yeah my dad probably figured I wasent religious but because we never talked about it he wanted to ask.

My mum thinks I'm Christian.

Quoting DragonMother10:

I didn't have to tell my parents, but they knew my brother and I were no longer religious. I don't know if they know we are atheists, but it's just been normal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KristenFowles
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm so glad I never lived in a world where I had to pretend I believed something I didn't..

I'm happy for you!

SinaiJ
by Yosaff Bridge on Feb. 13, 2013 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this

That's awesome!

I'm too vocal for secrets, unless they're told to me haha

philwil
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 6:20 PM
2 moms liked this

I always questioned the concept of Jesus, but when I entered college it's as if I honestly knew that I never believed in him. I am a VERY spiritual person and I do believe in a higher being, but I also believe in a person's own abilities. I am not atheist, BUT i do commend you and I'm happy for you. My mother throws snide remarks at me often such as, "i don't know what your God believes in", or, we will be praying and she'll become EXTRA loud when she says "in JESUS name". It is often annoying because I believe a person should believe in what they want, instead of what they're talking and just being content in that. I will make sure my daughter believes in what she wants...whether she wants to be a CHRISTIAN, MUSLIM, RASTAFARIAN, etc. I will always support her as long as she knows why she is what she is. 

Brieshon
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:11 PM
This is me, too! I can't imagine the frustration and apprehension.

Congrats for coming out! I hope your mom is as understanding as your dad. :)

Quoting KristenFowles:

I'm so glad I never lived in a world where I had to pretend I believed something I didn't..

I'm happy for you!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
babie113
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Thank you ladies I'm quite proud of myself. And just so relieved to be open about who I am. I was so scared to disappoint my dad I was always daddy's girl I'm the middle of three children I'm the only female and my brothers are gay so I was the golden child and I was scared to shatter there image of me. Hopefully they wont think of me as another disappointment. Or make the feel they failed to raise us "right" because IMO they did a great job my parents.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lisahappymom
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Congratulations! Living a genuine life is to be admired!

My dad is pretty religious, so we don't talk about religion at all.  I know it bothers him that I'm not religious, but I'm not about to be religious for his sake.

You have a lot of courage and wonderful family support.  Hats off to you!   :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN