Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What made you question the existence of God?

Posted by   + Show Post

You don't believe in God? 

YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD?! 

You can do that?

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion," Founding Father Thomas Paine.

by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 1:48 AM
Replies (71-80):
jonellg
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I was 7 or younger when I decided my pastor was full of shit. The concept of God just never made sense to me.

SabrinaLC
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I've never actually questioned it.

I just don't believe it...

momtoscott
by Member on May. 13, 2012 at 7:50 PM

From Sunday school on God was presented to me as modeled on fathers.  He was capricious, cruel, jealous, played favorites, and didn't want to hear anyone else's side of the story.  He demanded obedience while doling out "tough love" that didn't seem to come from a place of affection.  He seemed to enjoy punishing more than rewarding. 

I already didn't like these traits in my own father, who featured them prominently, so I hated God for a while before I stopped believing in him.  For about four or five years, I believed in God but found some relief in knowing I would go to hell rather than serve Him. 

At that point I was in college and encountering other myth and belief systems and began to understand the kind of stories people told themselves to try to feel they could have some effect on the universe.  I stopped believing in any kind of personal God and from there it was an easy progression to agnosticism.  Since I had decided to live my life as though there were no God, I began to call myself a functional atheist, and that's where I remain at this point. 

It was an emotional relief to stop believing altogether, and it freed up a lot of energy for me to pursue other endeavors. 

AdrianneHill
by The Catdaddy on May. 14, 2012 at 5:27 PM
I used to tell people that I really hoped there was some kind of god at the end of it all, because someone had some explaining to do and then I was going to spit on him.

Then I realized that the hope wasn't really enough and I'd been alive long enough to know no one will take responsibility for all of this shit; we can only deal with what we have now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fanci64
by on May. 22, 2012 at 2:23 PM
It started when I was about 10 and my little brothers friend was killed at our home while riding his motorcycle. He ran through a fence. Misjudged where the gate was we assume. During all the aftermath all I kept hearing was oh its god will. God has a reason, he has a plan, its for the best its all part of his big plan. My parents never went to church so I didn't grow up going to church as a family but I used to go with my friends on Sunday just to get away from the house and my Step-father. But when this happened I found myself getting really angry. Why in the Hell would god want to let a little boy die. For what reason, what could possibly be the plan. That's were it started. Then as I got older I questioned everything about god and the bible and never got an answer that I thought made any sense. That irritated me. I considered myself agnostic since my teens but it wasn't until my late 20's when my mom was diagnosed with cancer that I finally admitted to myself and her that I was Atheist. She didn't seem surprised. She never had any real belief in god either. Then 6 months later when the cancer was getting worse, the religious side of the family swooped in and in her weakened state she began to question her non-beliefs. By he time she died she felt like she had to have her house in order, just in case. I was so pissed at all of the religious fanatics in the family and they seemed so proud of themselves. That was pretty much the end for me. At that point I became a loud and proud Atheist and have been so ever since. I will debate the family anytime and anywhere and have fought for other members that feel and believe the same as me but dont have the guts to say it. So that's my journey so far.
Singlemominit
by on May. 23, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Never really questioned anything...my dad, who raised me, went to church and prayed, etc etc. But I never was into it. When I was 9 years old I told him I didnt believe in God, he thought it was just a phase and sent me to a church summer camp, which I hated, but it really made it clear to myself while I was there, I didnt believe. 

BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
SnailGal
by on May. 25, 2012 at 5:15 PM

The Bible. It "saved" me.

From a life of stupidity and blind believing, that is.

I was raised religious. My dad wouldn't let us celebrate Halloween (devil's bday) or eat certain foods. Neither of my parents went to church, but my dad read daily from the Bible (to himself), and we said the "Lord's Prayer" at night. Other than that we never really talked about religion much.

When I was about 17ish I made a promise to God to always read the Bible, every day, if he helped me. Well, things went like I'd hoped and so I read the Bible daily for the next 9 years. I've read the Bible front to back, word for word at least 8 times.

The first 2 times through it was great, I was happy and learning "God's word". I was the die-hard, pushy Christian that I tend to pity now. I tried to convert ("save") people who were Buddhist that I met on an online video game. I was really, really annoying, to put it bluntly (I just didn't know it then).

The next few times reading through the Bible I started seeing all the evilness in it (God killed all the first born Egyptian sons to prove he's real to make Pharoah let the Jews go because God himself hardned Pharoah's heart), and the really ridiculous things (Adam and his descendents lived like 853 years).

The real kicker was when I found out that Christians think Jesus IS God. I always grew up thinking he was God's son, and I found it absurd (I thought it was blasphmeny) to say Jesus *was* God. The "holy trinity" just didn't sit well with me. So I converted to Judiasm for about 2 years, because I still believed in the invisible sky god of the Old Testament.

It got more and more ridiculous to me so I became agnostic. (As per my oath I had made years ago I was still reading the Bible daily out of fear of quitting, it would take more maturing of mind to be able to fully let this go).

Then (more recently, the past 12 months) I've read some Richard Dawkins and other research on religion on the internet (lots of it). And now, here I am, an atheist! It was a step-by-step journey from Christianity to atheism for me, and I owe my atheism to the Bible. It's really quite hilarious. It took me about 10 years to fully let go of religion. I've never been happier or more content with my life personally (although I've lost quite a few "friends" who found out).

I know if more Christians actually read the Bible, word for word (at least once, preferably more) there'd be many less Christains around. The "pick and choose the relevant quotes" they teach in Sunday school is deceitfulness, indoctrination at its best.

Scarlette12
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 10:12 AM

What we can do that! How dare you!

I am kidding, that's actually my parents reaction when they found out. Well, my dad knew it all long and said he should of took me to church more. The times he took me to church, I complain and whine my ass off to not go. I hated the people there, my dad made them out to be good people and how they pray for when my grandfather gotten ill and passed away I was tempted to tell him if they pray so much then why did he die but I knew his answer was "God wanted him, needed him for greater good and blah blah blah"...

Anyways it's around that time when my grandfather  was sick and was dying at the time that I question 'God' a lot. Before then I just didn't think much about this person called 'God' and when my grandfather died, my own dad was trying to take me to church, I just realize he is just not real in my book. It was then realize most Christian ( even other religion but mostly Christian) around here are so up tight and judgemental that makes me sick. I try to keep my views a secret but most of my friends know, some are Christian and respect my belief... As I was saying I try to keep my views to myself until some stranger comes up to me with that famous question "Do you believe in God?", I roll my eyes and walk away.. I was stalk one time all the way to the car ( I was pregnant at the time) and the person keep saying "Your child is doomed if you do not believe! Save yourself and your unborn child before you both will end up in Hell"... I wanted to through my hot mocha at the time at him... It was annoying!

I keep reading some people reading books from different authors, I would like some tips of books to read?  I am trying to look through Scientific aspect some...

MyMyOhMy
by ImNotThatGod! on Jul. 8, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Quoting Scarlette12:

I keep reading some people reading books from different authors, I would like some tips of books to read?  I am trying to look through Scientific aspect some...

Dawkin's book is a good read.

Scarlette12
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Quoting MyMyOhMy:

Quoting Scarlette12:

Dawkin's book is a good read.

That name does pop up a lot, I might find a deal on the book and read it when I can.. Thank you

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN