Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What made you question the existence of God?

Posted by   + Show Post

You don't believe in God? 

YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD?! 

You can do that?

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion," Founding Father Thomas Paine.

by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 1:48 AM
Replies (111-120):
FrogSalad
by Susie K-M on Feb. 17, 2014 at 7:28 PM

I'm glad you're still here.

I remember how freeing it felt when I stopped trying to believe something that made no sense without going through a whole lot of mental contortions.

Quoting Mandallyn: This will sound rather dark. I don't tell believers my reason because they will turn it around on me as though it's some kind of proof. Anyway... When I was a teen I was very depressed. I couldn't end my life, going against human nature and all, so I would pray, night after night not to wake up in the morning. What kind of god could let his child suffer so much and not take them away from all the mental anguish? Well here I am... What really helped me learn to cope? That no god was going to take away my feelings. It was up to me to control what I was feeling, and distract myself from my depressive, cyclic thoughts. Funny how giving up on some magical being bringing me happiness actually managed to bring me some semblance of happiness.

Atheist Mama?  Join us!

How paramount the future is to the present when one is surrounded by children.  Charles Darwin

Stephanie329
by Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 8:44 PM
Thank you for sharing this.

Quoting .JessicaRabbit.:

My family is a bunch of religious nuts. Growing up we went to chuch, said our prayers, I wasn't allowed to go anywhere, do anything, I remember listening to music once, it was Toni Braxton, I was in the 6th grade and my parents told me it was the devil and I wasn't allowed to listen to it. (LOL...)

So my entire life I have always believed that even though there are a lot of messed up things in this world, everything for everyone will work it's way out.

I mean come on, I prayed for a job and got one, then found my husband, had children, and as a general rule, things work out for me. And I always thought, if I just pray, I'm doing things right. If I pray for the right things, everything will work out. Not just material things, I prayed for protection of my family, my husband driving to and from work, relatives, protection of our soldiers for our country and overseas, etc.

So then, 2 years ago, I got a computer. I know, aweosme, right? I hadn't had one in years. Not too long ago I came across a website that was something like photographs that shook the world.

There is a picture there of a baby, maybe a year old or a little older, it's clearly starving to death, bent over in an upright fetal position. And there is a vulture there right beside it, staring and waiting for that baby to die.

That I think is the worst picture I have ever seen. And the more I thought about it, the more I thought about other things in this world. People are starving and hungry all over, women getting abused, raped, beaten, same for children.

And here I thought my prayers were being answered. But really, my supposed prayers were so superficial. If there is a God, why are my prayers being answered and not theirs?

So I decided to look this up. I have been searching for months, (and probably years without even realizing it), and the best answer I could find was last week. The answer was basically, God could help you, but he isn't going to help you because he wants you to turn to him in your time of need.

WTF.

Really? Seriously????????? I could understand that maybe in this country, because we are so so very fortunate here. But what the FUCK, how in the hell does God expect a child who is starving to know what is going on?

That kind of crappy logic, that answer is what made me say this is it. I am done, I can't do it anymore. I'm still sickened by that picture every single day, and I am even more disgusted by the very people who think that it's ok that a child is starving because eventually, God will take care of it.

Velvetfog
by New Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 12:44 AM

My parents aren't religious but they were always open to me attending church with my grandma and bible study with my friends from school. I did both from kindergarten until third grade when I began to feel a general dissatisfaction with bible study. It was an impression I couldn't completely articulate at the time but looking back I think it was the beginning of my realization that I wouldn't ever fit in there. I couldn't ignore what I was learning in school and what I knew of how the world worked to embrace a story that contradicted so much of that knowledge. I quit attending that year, probably to the relief of the woman who taught. Lol.

momofthem311
by Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 8:13 AM
Because it's ridiculous!
I do have much to say about it but I don't feel like typing it all right now.
SlightlyPerfect
Fair warning.
Yesterday at 9:30 PM
by Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 11:11 AM
I started with questioning the moral nature of substitutional atonement.
kristinas8
by New Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 8:10 PM

I just lost my religion today. YAY!!!

I grew up in a family that went to church every Sunday. We went to a few denominations before I became an adult, but I never really paid attention they all seemed to be the same to me, except for the Catholic church I visited with my friend.

Then after I left home I got out of church. I didn't not believe but I didn't say I was a Christian either. I just didn't really care. 

After my first child and pregnant with second, one of my ex relatives told me her experience and gave me a book to read. I read it a few weeks later and prayed and asked God to save me. We then moved out of state and I found a church, basically like the ones I'd grown up in. But, then my husband got converted, and we switched to a fundamental baptist church (very independent) think of a cross between Amish and Church of God. 

We left that church and came back to our home state, constantly searching for a true church, we'd give up and live a little then search again. 

Now we are divorced and I started the search again. I just got fed up and a friend recommended I read 50 proofs that god isn't real. I was blown away and have no idea why I didn't connect the dots till reading that. I know a LOT of bible KJV and didn't recognise the stuff untill it was pointed out to me in plain day. I went from there to Youtube and am completely convinced it's all fables. I'm disgusted with myself for not seeing this sooner.

Clairwil
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:58 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting kristinas8:

I just got fed up and a friend recommended I read 50 proofs that god isn't real. I was blown away and have no idea why I didn't connect the dots till reading that. I know a LOT of bible KJV and didn't recognise the stuff untill it was pointed out to me in plain day.

Heh, yeah.   http://www.godisimaginary.com/ is the blunt hammer of anti-theist sites, but sometimes that's what it takes.  :-)

bluestreak35
by New Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 10:26 AM
2 moms liked this

We left God and religion behind in 2008. I am a survivor of severe child abuse. I'll keep this short and to the point. I was searching for meaning in life and a standard to live by because of my childhood, but that made me a sucker for an extreme religious cult. I spent 10 years in that cult until I almost went crazy. I even spent a weekend in the hospital psych ward where the nurse and the doctor said I didn't have to do anything I didn't want to do. I think they could see very clearly that I had been brain washed and was beginning to snap out of it. Since that time we left the church and have been rebuilding our lives. I am thankful my marriage, and my family have stayed in tact through it all. I stand on my own two feet now. I have no need for beliefs in fantasy to make everything all right. 

amandabunni
by New Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 11:18 PM

I was raised an an observant xtian but we didn't really do church stuff.

While in an abusive marriage, with no family and friends, and suffering with severe depression, I became pretty devout. I prayed constantly. Calling for help. I had no help.

Then I met someone and left my husband for the new man. It was the right thing to do. My now-husband is fantastic. He is smart and wonderful and treats me like a queen. He unpurposely led me to be a liberal atheist.

We would occasionally debate topics like abortion and I would get so very upset.

One day I started thinking about how screwed up it was that the god of the bible, who was supposed to be perfect and loving, would send people to hell. Particularly for stupid reasons. And that a lie and murder were equal. WAHT? Yeah. So, it started to fade. Now, we have been together for 5 years. He is still an atheist, but mostly apathetic.
I am a militant atheist, incredibly liberal, and all that jazz.

I hate my mother, she is crazy. She was abusive and now she is all of a sudden a jesusfreak and believes in things that are so insane, I think she should be locked up. 

Luvmykidlets
by New Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:19 AM

The Catholic church basically turned its back on my family when I was yet to young to even understand belief.......We were poor, my dad got laid off, and instead of helping us out, the church still demanded we pay.  My parents walked away.  I feel I've done just fine for myself without needing guidance from some higher power.   Moral. Good. Kind. Human. Me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)