Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What made you question the existence of God?

Posted by   + Show Post

You don't believe in God? 

YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD?! 

You can do that?

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion," Founding Father Thomas Paine.

by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 1:48 AM
Replies (11-20):
bethjesskrismom
by on Aug. 8, 2009 at 7:25 PM

My parents quit going to church when I was little so I guess I wasn't thoroughly brainwashed while I was growing up.  I went to different churches with friends from time to time and when I was 22 and engaged to be married, I joined a chuch and got baptized.  I was really looking for a place to belong and church filled that void for me for awhile.  I always questioned certain ideas that the church had.  For example, I always thought it was wrong for missionaries to travel to different countries to convert people to Christianity.  I feel that religion is part of a person's culture and these people didn't have the right to go in and change it.  A big problem I have had with the Christian god is child abuse.  I get very upset when I hear about it and I can't fathom an omnipotent and loving god that would allow innocent and vulnerable children to be neglected, beaten, and molested.  Say what you want about "free will," but if there was a god, why wouldn't he somehow help these children before they become so physically and mentally damaged?

The final straw for my belief in god came when I got divorced for the second time.  At the time, my husband and I were VERY active in our church but it didn't keep our marriage from falling apart (in fact, it may have contributed to it).  A lot of the people at our church turned their back on me (literally!) when I decided to leave my husband and, at that point, the illusion of a wonderful and loving "church family" was shattered.

Groups like this one have given me the courage to be an atheist because I now see that there are many intelligent people who do not believe in god.

PsychMommie
by on Oct. 16, 2009 at 11:53 PM

So I think it is sort of funny the first time I really though about it was while watching that movie "saved" with Mandy Moore, it is quite funny.  Anyway I think somewhere in there someone asks what if she was lying (mary). I was never extremely religious but I was brought up with crosses on the wall and bibles and what not and we attended church irregularly.  I really started thinking about it though and how when Mary was a live it would have been lie or die really. Then I found out how other religions have virginal births too and how Christianity came to be and then I started thinking man this is bull.  You cannot prove any of it but if you don't believe you will have horrible consequences. Seriously am I suppose to believe that there is another demension we do to when we die??

My FIL is dieing of cancer pretty much as we speak since he will be lucky to make through this weekend, and that really concreted it.  I also hated how everyone used their religion to discriminate against others.

katiemomNY
by on Dec. 6, 2009 at 5:05 PM

I don't remember there being any specific event that lead to my atheism.  I grew up in a very small town and was active in the church until I was in my early teens and moved away from the area.  Even so, I remember feeling like I was just going through the motions.  When we left I began to actively question religion, and the existence of a higher power, and by my early 20's I was well on my way to atheism.   

nerdygirly
by on Dec. 6, 2009 at 10:03 PM

I never did. Growing up my mom had borderline personality disorder, so whoever her best-friend at the time was determined what religion we were lol. I started out Methodist then she turned to Mormon, which is probably the church I went to most (and was baptized in) and I knew from the beginning (I was 7ish when we first started going) that this was cooky stuff lol. I would fight going or play sick or whatever. I considered being drug to church cruel and unusual punishment (for those that don't know Mormon church is 3 hours long!!). Anyways. So yeah I dunno if it's because I grew up in a somewhat secular area or because logic and science were always kind of important to me. I never knew what the term "atheist" was but I knew I had no use for god. Around 14ish a friend suggested I read Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy (now my very fav book) and I started reading other stuff Douglas Adams (author) wrote and found out he was an atheist and what an atheist was and said oh wow that's what I am who knew there was a word for it lol. I went onto read Richard Dawkins and Christopher HItchens and others over the years. There was really no doubt or fall from faith or anything, I always was atheist in my mind, I often got in trouble at church for asking "too many questions" (they actually told my mom that one day after I spent forever questioning my teacher on anything I thought didn't make sense, I was 8 at the time). I questioned everything and looked for a scientific answer and it just seemed the natural conclusion to me I suppose.

J

lovetocrochet5
by on Dec. 12, 2009 at 5:52 PM

My own childhood.. abuse my sister and I endured..  and my mother.

cancer

babies dying

i could go on and on..

Nixshix
by on Dec. 29, 2009 at 4:52 PM

I don't believe in god because it doesn't make any sense. I always wanted to know about the world and the universe and how it all got here when I was a kid and when god was given as a reason it didn't fit. It just doesn't make sense.

ladiesnight
by on Jan. 21, 2010 at 9:43 PM

I've been a member here for a while now and have been avoiding this post because I honestly didn't know where to start LOL.  But I've thought about it and read everyone else's replies so I guess I'll just kind of tell my story too and hope I don't bore anyone to death!

Anyway, I wasn't raised in a very religious household to begin with.  My mother had been raised Catholic, went to Catholic school and everything, and all my childhood she told me she didn't believe in God, and always told me horror stories from her Catholic childhood.  As a child, I never made a concious decision as to what I believed, I didn't really think much about it at all.

As a teenager, I went through the phase where I wanted to "find myself."  Suddenly I decided I believed in God, and was a Christian.  I didn't go to church, I was really inspired by Emily Dickinson and others' views about worshipping God through nature, not through other people and their words (pastors, the Bible, etc).  So I bought myself a little crucifix on a chain and I wore it and I prayed, blah blah blah.  

That lasted a few years, and eventually I just got tired of all the bullshit that is attached to religion.  I got tired of things I read in the Bible and heard from religious people not making sense, I got tired of the bigotry that comes along with religion. 

I also began thinking about all the other things... like if Christianity is the one true religion, why are there so many others?  Why are there so many that are so much older than Christianity?  Why do so many Christian beliefs go against proven fact?  Why are there so many different ways to be a Christian?  How do you know which one is the right one?  Etc etc etc.

About the time I started questioning my own beliefs, I was working as a vet tech, and one day I was restraining a dog for a procedure, and he was struggling and ended up ripping the chain off my neck that had the crucifix on it.  I took it as a sign that that was the end of my faith in that religion.  I know, kind of weird for an atheist to believe in signs, right?  I dunno, it just felt right at the time LOL.

Well that was about five years ago, and the more time that goes by and the more things I learn and the more life I live, the more I feel that I've made the right decision.  It's just the only thing that makes any sense!  Every day I'm happier to be an atheist than I was the day before.  I know that this is the right choice for me, and I only wish more people could see through the bullshit and make the same decision, because I really do think the world would be a better place if it had more atheists and less theists.

I also can't believe in a God that would allow babies to be tortured, raped, abused, neglected, etc.  And animal abuse.  Another thing that just makes me feel that there is no God.  Or none that cares about us, anyway. 

Oh and my jaded ex-Catholic atheist mother?  Now a born-again Baptist.  Yeah.  Well, she's not the smartest person... but that's a whole 'nother post.  And an even longer one, if you can believe that!

OK well, that's my story, I hope I didn't forget anything LOL, and hopefully I didn't bore you to tears either!  After typing all that, I'm going to get some ice cream.  :)

sassfire
by on Feb. 15, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Quote:

My parents didn't go to church but they allowed me to go with friends.  I went to so many different denominations!  In third grade I went to a church in which the youth pastors healed all of the kids in Sunday school, making their legs the same length.  I thought it was funny that so many kids seemed to have one leg shorter than the other.  It was like a game to the kids, "Me! Me next!  Me!"  At seven years old, I was embarrassed for them.  For the kids too.
   When I was 18 I became a born again Christian and was really buying things until they did the leg lengthening trick at a retreat on adults! I wanted to laugh and I felt stupid having bought into the group. It was like the "I got your nose" trick.
sassfire
by on Feb. 15, 2010 at 2:26 PM

I always wanted to believe in god too. I tried very hard and tried many religions. It was actually a book given to me called "answers for atheist" it was book for Christians giving them points to debate with atheist about the existence of god. The arguments were so weak that it actually cast doubt in me.

But I'd have to say it was death that made me come to terms with my non-belief, when I was 21 my 24 year-old sister was killed in a car accident. As everyone told stories of feeling something was wrong the night she died, waking up at the time of her death, or having her send them a message, I experienced none of it. At that time I was the one in the family that went to church and read the bible, yet why didn't she come to me? When I saw her body I just knew, she was gone. I thought about the whole heaven thing and understood it was something we created to help the living deal with such pain. By the time my second sister was killed in a car accident (ten years later) I was a full fledged atheist but in the closet to my family. I came out at my sister's wake (not the best timing on my part).

On of my sisters said, "so you think our sister is just dead and nothing else?" and I said "Yeah that is what I think." It was hard to say. But my atheist beliefs were comforting during that second death. So many crazy things happened. My mother remarried her first husband, a man my deceased sister hated. Her husband took up with a friend of hers right after the funeral and later had a child with her and hid the child for over a year! I was relieved to know she could see none of this and had no idea that this crap was going on.

In my life I have had many trials, a costly accident when I was uninsured, a cancer scare, a divorce, a failed engagement, unemployment, a denied student loan days before I started grad school...and all the while I said "okay what am I going to do to handle this?" I had to find strength knowing the only one who could help me was me. I never thought to pray in those situations.

LKLMommy
by on Mar. 19, 2010 at 2:16 PM

when i was 15, i went through a "punk" phase and my hair was every color under the sun....at one point it was hot pink, and i was going to church with my mother and my grandmother....when we got to the church that i had gone to on and off since i was a child, the pastor asked me to leave because of my hair color and the fact that i was wearing slacks....he then said that he would "pray for me to find my way back to god".....wtf? because i wasnt wearing a dress and my hair was pink, i had lost god?? so i couldnt figure out why god would care what i looked like...what kind of god wouldnt allow me in his house because of my apperance? so i began to question EVERYTHING after that. i did my own research, and through my research i realized that for 15 years, id been forced, really by fear, into believing in bogus crap. once id "seen the light" lol, i never looked back and i've been happier ever since!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)