Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What made you question the existence of God?

Posted by   + Show Post

You don't believe in God? 

YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD?! 

You can do that?

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion," Founding Father Thomas Paine.

by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 1:48 AM
Replies (31-40):
zweedledee
by on Oct. 12, 2010 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting .JessicaRabbit.:

My family is a bunch of religious nuts. Growing up we went to chuch, said our prayers, I wasn't allowed to go anywhere, do anything, I remember listening to music once, it was Toni Braxton, I was in the 6th grade and my parents told me it was the devil and I wasn't allowed to listen to it. (LOL...)

So my entire life I have always believed that even though there are a lot of messed up things in this world, everything for everyone will work it's way out.

I mean come on, I prayed for a job and got one, then found my husband, had children, and as a general rule, things work out for me. And I always thought, if I just pray, I'm doing things right. If I pray for the right things, everything will work out. Not just material things, I prayed for protection of my family, my husband driving to and from work, relatives, protection of our soldiers for our country and overseas, etc.

So then, 2 years ago, I got a computer. I know, aweosme, right? I hadn't had one in years. Not too long ago I came across a website that was something like photographs that shook the world.

There is a picture there of a baby, maybe a year old or a little older, it's clearly starving to death, bent over in an upright fetal position. And there is a vulture there right beside it, staring and waiting for that baby to die.

That I think is the worst picture I have ever seen. And the more I thought about it, the more I thought about other things in this world. People are starving and hungry all over, women getting abused, raped, beaten, same for children.

And here I thought my prayers were being answered. But really, my supposed prayers were so superficial. If there is a God, why are my prayers being answered and not theirs?

So I decided to look this up. I have been searching for months, (and probably years without even realizing it), and the best answer I could find was last week. The answer was basically, God could help you, but he isn't going to help you because he wants you to turn to him in your time of need.

WTF.

Really? Seriously????????? I could understand that maybe in this country, because we are so so very fortunate here. But what the FUCK, how in the hell does God expect a child who is starving to know what is going on?

That kind of crappy logic, that answer is what made me say this is it. I am done, I can't do it anymore. I'm still sickened by that picture every single day, and I am even more disgusted by the very people who think that it's ok that a child is starving because eventually, God will take care of it.

It is funny how well equipped some of these churches are too. In the church I am (was?) going to they have these t.v. screens that rise automatically out of the walls. I wonder how much they cost? Thousands I am sure. They could have used that money to feed those kids! Does the church REALLY NEED that?

I mean, yeah, they do help people, but they could be doing a LOT MORE! (but instead....)

rachblue
by on Dec. 1, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Growing up I never really went to church, save a hand full of times with my cousins. I have always loved science and have always been fascinated by it. I guess as a young girl and a teen science answered my questions well enough. it was only as an adult and as tragedy struck me that I wanted very badly to believe in something more. I tried to find something I could hold on to (I guess I just don't want my babies to really be gone.) but I never found anything in organized religion that suited me. I know I don't believe that Jesus Christ was anything more than a good man. if there is a higher power I don't see how it could be a deity or even several, not with all the truly horrid things that happen to innocent people and babies everyday, it just doesn't sit right with me. I haven't a clue what happens to us when we die. but I do think there may be more to what we are now.. if we could somehow come together as a collective consciousness we may be capable of astonishing things.

I think the power of prayer and positive thought and feats of supper human strength have all been documented. I don't see them as proof of a deity but I think they maybe a hint that there could be more to our minds power than we know.

so I don't know what that's called but that's me :-)

geekymommy2019
by on Dec. 1, 2010 at 12:54 PM

The whole idea just seems silly to me. How could there be some dude up in the sky that made and controls everything? How do we even know it's a dude? If he supposedly made everything in the universe, why would he be human-like? 

Aside from that, why would he help some people and not others? There are dying and starving people in other countries and even in our own and he doesn't help them. Like I said, it just doesn't make sense to me.

geekymommy2019
by on Dec. 1, 2010 at 12:55 PM

btw, love this, lol

Quoting DaniT:

You don't believe in God? 

YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD?! 

You can do that?

tinaandavasmom
by on Dec. 28, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Seventh grade social studies. I thought wow these ancient people have different gods, they made them up then maybe all gods are made up. From that moment forward I started feeling like I was on the right track. Of course my reasons became more intelligent when I got older.

DaniT
by Head Admin on Dec. 28, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Quoting rachblue:

Growing up I never really went to church, save a hand full of times with my cousins. I have always loved science and have always been fascinated by it. I guess as a young girl and a teen science answered my questions well enough. it was only as an adult and as tragedy struck me that I wanted very badly to believe in something more. I tried to find something I could hold on to (I guess I just don't want my babies to really be gone.) but I never found anything in organized religion that suited me. I know I don't believe that Jesus Christ was anything more than a good man. if there is a higher power I don't see how it could be a deity or even several, not with all the truly horrid things that happen to innocent people and babies everyday, it just doesn't sit right with me. I haven't a clue what happens to us when we die. but I do think there may be more to what we are now.. if we could somehow come together as a collective consciousness we may be capable of astonishing things.

I think the power of prayer and positive thought and feats of supper human strength have all been documented. I don't see them as proof of a deity but I think they maybe a hint that there could be more to our minds power than we know.

so I don't know what that's called but that's me :-)

Actually, all research using the scientific method has demonstrated that prayer and postive thoughts have no affect. 

In fact, the only study that showed prayer had any affect (a study funded by a theist organization in hopes of proving the power of prayer) showed a negative correlation:  Patients in a hospital were divided into three groups.  The "control" group was not prayed for.  A second group was prayed for.  Patients from these two groups didn't know if they were being prayed for or not and there was no difference in recovery.  Patients from the third group, however, did worse.  This was the group that was prayed for and told that they were being prayed for.  The best theory for this outcome is that the third group figured that since they were being prayed for that they didn't have to do anything themselves in order to recover.

Action affects.  Just thinking about action does nothing.  When a person says they will pray for someone all they do is make themselves feel better for not actually doing anything.  All six billion people on the planet could pray simultaneously to end world hunger and...nothing would happen.  That is, unless some of those six billion people actually did something (and this is when theists argue that it was their god that got these people to act *eye roll*).

This is good news though, right?  We don't have to worry that we are at the mercy of some supernatural force, be it good or evil.  And, we don't have to worry that our thoughts weren't adequate in preventing or solving a problem.  Sometimes sh*t just happens.

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion," Founding Father Thomas Paine.

Mommy2E2007
by on Dec. 29, 2010 at 5:10 PM

I grew never going to church. My dad was a definitely an atheist, although growing up I had no idea what that was...LOL. My only memory of church was when we went to hear my half sister (she grew up with her mother) sing in the choir. My dad waited outside, he wouldn't even go in the church. I thought it was strange, but I was a kid so I just went with the flow. My mom went through a phase where she felt it necessary to "find religion". So she went to a few different churches to find one that worked for her (she never did find one she liked). I remember my parents fighting about whether or not I should go with her, I guess my dad won because I never went. My mom tried a few sneaky tricks to get me to church. She allowed a friend of hers to take me to some church camp a few times. When my father found out he was FURIOUS. I never fully understood why he was so mad, so anti-religion. By the time I was old enough to have an adult discussion with him about it he passed away.

Since I was never really exposed to church/religion as a child, I never really found a need for it in my life. I have never read the bible, nor do I ever plan on it. What I do know, from what has been quoted to me, it sounds like quite the fantasy story...LOL. I have had many family/friends try to get me to read it, try to take me to church, try to "save" me. I don't feel I need to be saved, in any way. I am a good person, with good morals. I have somehow managed to find the "right" path without religion.

It's hard to say whether I am "out" or not. I don't have a bumper sticker that says "proud to be an atheist" but if I was asked I would admit it. Pretty much everyone I know knows my feelings on the subject.

DaniT
by Head Admin on Dec. 31, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Quoting Mommy2E2007:

I grew never going to church. My dad was a definitely an atheist, although growing up I had no idea what that was...LOL. My only memory of church was when we went to hear my half sister (she grew up with her mother) sing in the choir. My dad waited outside, he wouldn't even go in the church. I thought it was strange, but I was a kid so I just went with the flow. My mom went through a phase where she felt it necessary to "find religion". So she went to a few different churches to find one that worked for her (she never did find one she liked). I remember my parents fighting about whether or not I should go with her, I guess my dad won because I never went. My mom tried a few sneaky tricks to get me to church. She allowed a friend of hers to take me to some church camp a few times. When my father found out he was FURIOUS. I never fully understood why he was so mad, so anti-religion. By the time I was old enough to have an adult discussion with him about it he passed away.

Since I was never really exposed to church/religion as a child, I never really found a need for it in my life. I have never read the bible, nor do I ever plan on it. What I do know, from what has been quoted to me, it sounds like quite the fantasy story...LOL. I have had many family/friends try to get me to read it, try to take me to church, try to "save" me. I don't feel I need to be saved, in any way. I am a good person, with good morals. I have somehow managed to find the "right" path without religion.

It's hard to say whether I am "out" or not. I don't have a bumper sticker that says "proud to be an atheist" but if I was asked I would admit it. Pretty much everyone I know knows my feelings on the subject.

I can understand why you wouldn't want to read the Bible.  MOST people don't read the thing.  Booooriiiiiing!  It may sound silly but I think people should at least read a children's bible.  They skip all the scandal but give you the basic stories of Christianity so that when someone says something like, "He has the patience of Job," you'll know what they're talking about.  You can get one from the library but I like to have one around the house as a reference.

I got a great children's bible off Amazon for a penny :)  I like this particular one because it doesn't sugarcoat anything (and my children came away from it with the conclusion that this God character was an ass). 

Mejo88
by on Jan. 15, 2011 at 7:20 AM

What made me question?

Knowing that as I'm typing this, 1000's of little kids are being raped and beaten and He/She/It Amighty All-Powerful is not doing a damn thing to help them.  Yet, he/she/it has found my cousin's diamond ring, found my sister's stereo remote, and has done numerous other waste-of-time miracles. 

If people spent as much time saving the earth as they do saving their souls, we'd have a great planet.

kenyacka
by on Jan. 15, 2011 at 10:52 AM

I think the first time I ever entertained the notion that my Christian upbringing might be (gasp!) incorrect was when I was senior in high school. I was in AP Calculus and after about 5 minutes of work we always ended up in deep discussions (how easily I could have gotten that teacher fired looking back lol). One day we somehow started discussing religion. Another classmate was questioning evolution... I was in shock! How could anyone in this north Georgia town even consider that evolution is true???? I wanted to scoot away from him before God struck him down with a lightening bolt! Then the teacher said something that I will never forget so long as I live. He said "I don't think any intelligent person could go through life and not consider that God isn't real." May not seem like a big deal to you guys, but for a 17-year-old raised in Bible-thumping Georgia this just blew my mind. I had always considered this teacher to be one of the most intelligent people I had ever met.... but then all of a sudden he just shattered my entire world.

I'm now 28 years old.... I still don't have it all figured out, but I think it's safe to say that I don't consider myself a Christian. I don't really like calling myself Agnostic either, though because while obviously there is no way to have definitive proof one way or the other as to God's existence? I definetley think that there is a lot more proof leaning towards him, she, whatever not existing.

The more I allow myself to step away from it the more I start to feel that Christianity (and any religion) is a form of crowd control. It's a way to force citizens to act a certain way and do as they're told. When I first allowed myself to think about the idea, I felt terrible. I felt like I was a bad mother. I felt like I was a bad human being. But Why???? I don't lie, I don't cheat, I'm a faithful wife, I love my children more than life itself and would give my life for them.... it's all brainwashing. The more I start to believe that, the more terrified I am that I lived my life for so long in such a deep fog. Brings back images from the book 1984.

Now, I feel so much better. When something good happens, I know it isn't because God decided it was my turn... it's because I worked hard and did it for myself. When something bad happens? Nine times out of ten I can trace my steps and see where IIII went wrong. It's not God trying to teach me something, it's my own stupidity that caused this to happen. Of course, there's not always an answer for everything in life that happens to us, or to others.... but that isn't an excuse to blindly follow religion to make ourselves feel better. Religion is the path of least resistance. It's the same as alcoholism, drug addiction, etc. It's a way to ignore the truth and to somehow make ourselves feel better. When you get away from all of that, you realize life isn't all that bad after all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN