Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What made you question the existence of God?

Posted by   + Show Post

You don't believe in God? 

YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD?! 

You can do that?

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion," Founding Father Thomas Paine.

by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 1:48 AM
Replies (61-70):
AskMissAndrea
by on Nov. 25, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Compassion. How could a good god let 8 million children starve to death a year (WHO statistics).

AskMissAndrea.wordpress.com
Using Love and Science for Happy, Fulfilled, Good Kids

Mrs.Danen
by on Dec. 1, 2011 at 3:36 AM

I'm not sure I can pinpoint the exact instance that made me start questioning the god of my childhood.  I think it was, perhaps, a series of events in my life that lead to my ultimate growing up.  When I became an adult I put away childish ideas - my prince would never come rescue me, the tooth fairy was really my mom, and there is god who takes a personal interest in my life.  At some point, it just became about personal accountability and responsibility for my own actions, ya know?

Anne Danen

tinaandavasmom
by on Dec. 1, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Two things;

One was 7th grade social studies, we were learning about the Egyptians and their gods. I started thinking well they made up their gods who is to say we did not make up ours.

The next thing was the fact that the only thing I ever wanted growing up was my father. I grew up without one and no matter how hard I prayed it never happened. I made promises to god and got nothing. Then I seen on the news all the suffering in the world and wondered why would a god allow this?

Not necessary in that order. I think the last one was before the first one.

For me it was all that deep thinking I do. I over analyze everything.

butlerro1013
by on Dec. 16, 2011 at 3:34 PM

I just never really felt the belief in God that I was raised wuth was right.  Ever since I remember, I have just felt like once we die, that's it.  As I've gotten older and read Dawkins and Hitchens, it has reinforced for me that I am truly an atheist.

youngashleyd
by on Dec. 31, 2011 at 2:49 AM

We were all raised without really anything at all. I did go to a christian preschool for a short amount of time (where I asked who that man on that stick was) And I would go to a catholic church with my childhood friend (and take the communion too, though I had no idea what that bread was for and had never been baptized or had communion) Anyways at a young age I remember telling people that god didnt exist and the kids making fun of me for saying that. So for a long time I did not say anything although I still did not get the belief in something bigger. And I felt ashamed and somewhat scared that if i did not figure out how to believe in this thing that I actually was not going to go to heaven. In 6th grade we learned about greek mythology and it all clicked. If that religion was seen as fake, at what point would the bible be taught as an old belief. Does a new religion have to come in and forcefully take over for that to happen. 

Cranberrydee
by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I was 15 and a big bible thumper. I was constantly looking for ways to be a better Christian. I was reading on the Internet some bible verses when I stumbled on one from God to Moses, I think. He was commanding Moses to kill people and babies and such and a flipped out! I tore up the house looking for my mother's bible and read it for myself, in context and cried. I went to my mom and read her the verses and asked if she knew that was in there, she just shrugged and said yeah, like it was nothing in the world! That was the moment I lost all respect for Christianity. I tried, oh goodness, did I try to hold on to it, but it just because impossible after finding out what I now knew. I hopped from religion to religion after that. Sampled Buddhism, tried Hinduism, paganism, dead religions that no one believes, just for something to hold on to. I was searching through web pages, I don't remember what I was looking for, I found a website, something like evilbible.com. Anyhow, I began reading through the entries and found I could really relate to it. From there, it just clicked.

MyMyOhMy
by ImNotThatGod! on Mar. 24, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Quoting DaniT:

You don't believe in God? 

YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD?! 

You can do that?

I don't even believe in believing. Why bother having false conviction about something I have no knowledge of?

The problem with god is there isn't even anything to formulate actual questions around.

Kerseygeek
by Member on Mar. 26, 2012 at 10:53 PM
My husband who questioned first. But looking back I think I should have known sooner, my beliefs were not very deep.
Yady
by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 4:52 AM
I'm a new atheist. I was holding to the idea of god for a while. I though of myself as agnostic after reading the OT and learning about the origins of the bible. Those were two big eye openers for me. I started reserching more and more. I found Richard Dawkins, Stephen Hawing etc. and finally everything made sense. About two years ago I realice that there was nothing holding me to the idea of god anymore.

Yadylove you sign

NAPOCHRIS
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:40 PM

What me made question the existence of god ? His non existence I guess. More precisely, the fact that religious people can't prove he (she, it) exists.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN