Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What made you question the existence of God?

Posted by   + Show Post

You don't believe in God? 

YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD?! 

You can do that?

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion," Founding Father Thomas Paine.

by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 1:48 AM
Replies (91-100):
naz223
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:31 AM

For me, it all started coming together around the age of eight. I had been to church several times with different friends and It always felt like a cult. Even at the tender age of 8, I distinctly remember asking my self, why are people so afraid of god? Is he scary? Why do we worship him? If there was a god, I don't think he would be comfortable with everyone groveling and fearing him all the time. As I got older, I thought to myself, it seems like everyone turns to god as an answer for everything that cannot be explained. That's just creepy. You might as well believe in a giant green bean that lives in the sea. My parents believed in god, but NEVER put pressure on me to believe and they didn't go to church. When I was a teen, I found religion to be offensive, and unfortunately my brother met a girl and became a born-again. Those were difficult years. Now he's a devout atheist!  I've always loved science and nature. Especially earth science and astronomy. And after reading and educating myself on evolutionary theory AND fact, it seemed more logical that science had so many facts and theories that made sense. And religion had...well, a story. PLUS there are SO many religions and everyone thinks they're right. I seem to hear this a lot "How could everything happen so perfectly? How could life on this planet exist if god didn't create it? Your telling me that the earth is just the right distance from the Sun to harness life? And that happened all by itself?" YES! That's exactly it! That's the true miracle! Not some Divine act of a supreme narcissistic being creating man in the image of himself!  And it's not all perfect, look at the human race, what a mess! Anyways, sorry to vent. I don't get to do that often about this topic. I'm not looking to convert anyone, live and let live. In the end, I do question my beliefs sometimes, I wouldn't be human if I didn't. I'd like to think that if I'm wrong and a higher being does in fact, exist, I will be judged on how I lived my life, the good I've done and the evil I had avoided. Not that I spent my Sunday mornings sleeping in, making pancakes for my family, and watching football!

shortlilartist
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:53 PM
I remember being a young teen in Sunday school thinking to myself do these kids really believe these stories?! For a long time I wanted to and tried to believe but my logic kept me from really accepting religion as true. I saw flaws and especially saw t
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
shortlilartist
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:56 PM
I remember being a young teen in Sunday school thinking to myself do these kids really believe these stories?! For a long time I wanted to and tried to believe but my logic kept me from really accepting religion as true. I saw flaws and especially saw them once I learned evolution and got into science. But i Never thought about it in depth until my early 20s and that's when one day i was walking and it hit me; i dont believe in god. after learning about agnostoc and atheists i realized I'm not the only one who thinks like this.
MyMyOhMy
by ImNotThatGod! on Jan. 18, 2013 at 7:51 PM
2 moms liked this

I think the real question is how could you ever not question the existence of "god?"

emilyelephant
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Science/evolution

It's pretty simple to me, God just doesn't make sense.

HappySAHMnWIFE
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I grew up with a father that wanted us t come to our own conclusions instead of just taking the churches word on it.  He encouraged us to research different belief systems from the beginning.  We had "Family Debate" after dinner for as long as I can remember.

My sister and I are Agnostic-Atheists (Don't believe in a "god" but don't deny the possibility of ones existence) and my brother is an Agnostic. 

3cutiebugs
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:37 PM
First, when I learned about the birds and the bees, and that its not OK with god to do it outside of matrimony, I thought about the story of Mary. My first reaction was, well that's a crock of ****. She got pregnant and told a very elaborate story to cover it up. Then I questioned everything. When I was 15 I realized that religion is not some magic being who made everything and gives us everything we want (or punishes us) after death, it is a way for people to cope with this life. Its a way to teach morals. It is a way to make the grieving process bearable. Its a way to deal with fear of mortality.
It is a pacifier.
I do follow a religion but rather than it being a worship of a diety it is a moral code for us.
sweetsmum
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I was never really indoctrinated by my parents, yet I was raised in a highly religious small town. I grew up watching kids spend their Friday afternoons at Fellowship of Christian Athletes, then head to a party where they got wasted, did drugs, and took advantage of passed out girls.

The whole, "We are all human and we all sin" thing just didn't carry water for me. I saw right through it. I figured if they were so full of IT about everything else, there obviously was no higher power, either.

When I was in college, I took a class by a prof that I think might have been an atheist. He gave me a dialogue to understand what religion was (a metanarrative to understand life) and then everything just kind of clicked.

bazjack
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:08 PM

I was in a Catholic school through grade 6. When the Challenger crashed, I was 7. I cried and prayed every night for weeks after that. Then I learned some months later that they knew beforehand it was not safe to launch and they launched anyway - the engineers and meteorologists begged them not to launch and the PR people had some reason they couldn't delay - basically NASA murdered those people.

It broke something in me. I think what it broke was my ability to have faith. Very shortly afterwards I began to identify as agnostic and I was full-on atheist by the time I turned 11. 

As an addendum, all 3 major shuttle disasters - Apollo, Challenger, and Discover - were caused by launching when it was too cold and they knew it was too cold. A god didn't kill those people. Human hubris killed those people.

mndzjen
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Both of my parents are religious. They brought us to church maybe 4 or 5 times growing up. Anyhow, I started questioning things at about 11-12 years old. Things not adding up with the whole Adam/Eve having sons and populating the world, the whole virgin Mary story, Noah's ark and him and his family once again populating the world with sons, I could really go on and on haha, but I guess my main point to my reply to this post is that there are SO many things that do not add up in the bible. I forget the exact quote from Rick Gervais, but something about the bible being written by a bunch of angry, sexually frustrated men.....it's absolutely true!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN