Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

NEW to site, moving to ABQ this summer.

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 1:25 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 206 Total Views
Hi. I am Sara. I am 40 with a three year old son AND 37 year old hubbie. we are moving there this summer. Hubbie already started his job and we are back here in GA.
Any advice for the move? Any areas to say away from? I am seeking to rent a home north of ABQ. Son has asthma and concerned about sickly areas. Need to find him a good school. He is a Crystal child and that has its own set of issues. i need to find good activities for him to get involved.
by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
by New Member on Mar. 23, 2007 at 3:55 PM
Hi!  I'm getting ready to move to ABQ too!  I would love to hear some advice on the best places to live in the area as well.  I also have a little boy who is turning 3 next month!  Hope to chat soon.
- Mandy
by on Mar. 24, 2007 at 1:30 PM

Deleted ... have a safe move.

by New Member on Mar. 25, 2007 at 3:18 AM
Ok here are my $0.02. All parts of ABQ have issues. It's not about rich or poor. Also, parts of ABQ are considered poor and they are not 100% that way. My mother in law lives off of Eubank and Paseo Del Norte in the La Cueva district. Yes many many people there are wealthy, but there are also indigent families there too. She has had more vandalism and violence caused by the spoiled rich kids than we have by what's considered poor. The airport area south of Gibson Blvd and right by the fair grounds are the most violent areas.

We live in the South Valley. The homes here are not for the "poor".  They are the same quality and value of the homes in the NE heights. We have never had a break in, car theft, or vandalism. Our neighbors take care of their properties and have been very pleasant to live near. No loud music, no rowdy kids, no punks on the street late at night.

As far as schools go, yes, absolutley, schools west of the Rio Grande are icky and over crowded. My kids will never attend a west side school. They go to a school in the UNM area. However, because of the large population of ESL students, even the value of a NE heights schools is diminished because attention and funds go to those kids. I had to search high and low for a school where I knew my kids would flourish. That's just the way it is.

So I said all that to say your homework. Drive around the neighborhoods in the morning, around noon and in the evening. See what kind of people are around. Don't make your decision based on the school. You can always get a transfer to a better one.

For Sara........ I know only a little bit about Crystal children. I just started research because I believe my children are Indigos. Very hard for me to believe because of my faith beliefs but very hard to deny because of their personalities. That being said....I suggest looking into Mountain Mahogany School for your son. It is a APS charter school. You can download their philosophy here:  Lastly....Welcome to NM!
by New Member on Mar. 29, 2007 at 2:27 PM

WOW. That was alot of great info. Thanks so much. I relized I will have to bring my son and fly out and spend a few days looking around. Can't trust it to he Hubby. I will post when I am coming in late may and we can maybe get together or at least talk on the phone.

by New Member on Apr. 5, 2007 at 6:54 PM
Hey, I live in the area south of Gibson and I also teach in that area and I am from the midwest (not exactly local).  My neighborhood  has more activity than what I have faced in other areas I have lived in ABQ, but my neighborhood also has the best sense of community I have EVER seen.  So, take it for what it is worth, it's my opinion and my experience.  By the way, I agree with the other member about it's not  about poor vs. rich.  I am not poor and I CHOOSE to live and work in my community. 

I loved the South Valley tooLaughing
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)