Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Welcome to my group! Please introduce yourselves and feel free to share anything on your mind!

I wanted to start this group so I could find out if there are other mothers dealing with having PTSD. I myself have posttraumatic stress disorder, from serving in Iraq for 18 months back in 2003. I have been in therapy and am on anti-depressants, so I am a lot better now, but I still think about my issues on a daily basis. Sometimes this can interfere with my marriage to my husband of 2 years, and he does not understand AT ALL, what happened to me over there. It would be really nice to find some people who know what I am going through so we can all come together and help each other heal completely! I have heard there is no cure for PTSD and it is usually a permanent struggle. I think if we have a support group where we can share and talk about our most intimate problems we can't share with friends/family, this can move the healing process along that much faster!
by on Apr. 10, 2007 at 1:29 AM
Replies (11-19):
Momster445
by on Nov. 11, 2008 at 6:53 PM

My name is Gail I got PTSD from being in an abusive relationship for too long. I do not live with him and find it getting worse the more I try and seperate. Would love to hear from other women how they deal with it no matter what they got it from.

JessiesGirls
by Member on Nov. 13, 2008 at 10:17 PM

Hi, my name is Jessie.  In 2003 I gave birth to my second daughter, and everything about that delivery went wrong.  So wrong that at the end, I didn't care that I'd had a girl, I didn't care what she looked like.  I couldn't even hold her at the time.  I was numb.  I was curled up in a ball on that table, shaking, sobbing, and also alone because they'd kicked my husband out of the circle to get more nurses in (to yell at me to get that baby out).  I didn't know it at the time, but her birth mirrored the abuse I endured as a child between the ages of 6 and 18.  Abuse that I had decided to push away and forget about forever. 

For 15 years after the abuse I'd led a very happy life.  I married a wonderful guy, moved up the corporate ladder, and had my first child.  Then in 2003, it was the birth of my second daughter that made the past came flooding back.  Mulitple molestations and rapes by different people - as a child it seemed to follow me everywhere I went, like I had a stamp on my forehead that said "abuse me."

PTSD sucked out whatever normalcy I had going for me.  It made me into a monster.  And while the flashbacks and nightmares have decreased a great deal after five years (maybe because I had to quit my therapy after my insurance quit paying for it), this indescribable anxiety has taken over.  It's constant.  It's every day.  And nobody can understand it unless they've experienced it.  The panic attacks, sleepless nights, the numerous triggers that send me reeling, the agoraphobia, the memory problems, the exhaustion, the anxiety.... anxiety.... anxiety.  I'm lucky to have my parents on my side and supporting me.  I'm lucky to have a husband who has stuck by me despite the monster I became.  I've come a long ways, but have so far to go.  And with two daughters, five and nine, my days bring so many more challenges.  But I gotta keep going.  This is why we're called survivors.  It really does become a way of life.  This... surviving.

cjcharlie1959
by on Nov. 21, 2008 at 4:12 PM

I bubbasmama27, i am cjcharlie1959 and had served in the military for 20 years...does this classify as PTSD?

fallnangel93
by on Feb. 27, 2009 at 5:58 PM

Hello. My name is Tiffany and I have had PTSD for three years now. It started when my twins were born two months prematurely and almost died. And then one of them almost died again four days later (they are fine now, thankfully!) At first I had no idea what was wrong with me, I just knew that I would have panic attacks if my kids were out of my sight for more then five minutes, and it wasnt until I was pregnant with my youngest that I was finally told I had PTSD. At that point they wouldnt put me on any medications because of the pregnancy, so I have just been dealing with it. (im still not on meds) I struggle with this every single day...anytime I have to leave my kids I have a panic attack. My husband and my parents dont understand at all...and my parents just think I dont trust them enough to let them take the girls, but its just something I have to work through, and I dont care if they understand or not.

Anyway...Im so glad I found this group, that way I know Im not the only one dealing with things like this (and now I can prove to some people that im not crazy! lol)

MrsArmyWife06
by on Apr. 2, 2009 at 8:31 PM

Hi, my name is Roxanne, I'm 20 years old and suffer from PTSD. In Feb 2006 while my Husband was deployed to Iraq, my mother died and I had found her body. My PTSD symptoms didn't start til about 6 months after. i started seeing dead bodies, after a few months of that they started talking to me. I think that would be my biggest symptom. In dec 07 I got drunk and took some pills, and I guess wrote a note saying someone told me to kill myself, so I hung myself, but thankfully my husband got home and saved me. I spent 3 days in the mental hospital, where they gave me all sort of pills, and most made it worse. Right now they just have me on valium for my anexity, I've tried seeing someone about it, but it doesn't really help...It's hard for me to talk about my mother and what happened, because I guess...I don't want to believe it. After 3 years of her passing..I'm still in shock and have not accepted it. Which is making everything worse... I try to avoid things that remind me of my mother... I can never sleep...Everyone I pass my husband while hes sleeping or when I'm back at home and someone is sleeping..i have to make sure they are still breahting...even when my dogs are sleeping... I have flashbacks... Last week I went to my Husband's grandma's funeral was open casket....you can imagine how well that went...I have also been raped 2 times, when I was 12....but it really doesn't affect me as bad as it use to...I just hope I can find someone to talk about, and lean on that kinda understands. I just feel SOOO alone in this.....

Lilypie 21 - 37 day cycle Ticker

Deb_Jones
by on May. 9, 2010 at 1:41 PM

My husband is 54. He was diagnosed as bipolar 2 at age 17, but it never seemed to fit. In the past year he has been diagnosed by 2 psychiatrists as having PTSD from his childhood. He can not take anti-depressants as he has agitated depression and they just set him off. All I know is that it is exhausting walking on eggshells, trying to avoid his triggers and it seems like EVERYTHING is a trigger. I'm just so glad I found this group, because honestly I just can't wrap my head around PTSD. Maybe you all can help me. I had a horrible childhood, but I put it behind me and moved on and I have a VERY hard time wondering why he can't just do the same. I know people have different personalities and all, but still. Sigh ... I'm just exhausted after 32 1/2 years of this!

Tigrera
by New Member on Apr. 21, 2011 at 12:59 AM

Hi, my name is Kelly.  I was in an abusive relationship for 5 years.  I was able to get out of it 3 1/2 years ago, but am still having a hard time coping.  About 2 years ago I was told that I have PTSD.  I'm still trying to figure out all that happened without flashing back to it.  Most of my family think that it's crazy that I haven't gotten over it yet.   Hoping I will find some kindred spirits who understand how I feel.

fawwn
by New Member on Jun. 3, 2011 at 2:28 AM

My name is Helen I've had PTSD since my parents died in 1992 when I was 13. I have a 14yr old daughter a hubby who tries to understand but cant quite "get it" and a PSD. Who keeps me going.

sissy852
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:32 AM

hi i am narcissa my dh has ptsd from desert storm. i am trying to help him but he is so resistant. i dont know how to help him i can barly make him go to his doctor about it. he also has perinoia and had the perinoia before they sent him to iraq the military knew it but sent him over there anyways. how do i get through to him that it is ok to ask for help

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)