Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting through the day -write it out

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:22 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 218 Total Views

Ok I have to get some work done here- but having a tough time-so writing helps-I have had PTSD for years and doing well but today is rough.  So here I go and then back to work-my coping mechanism.  Fear-don't like it-Car accident don't like it, being hurt - don't like it  Being told  be more responsible-just don't tell me that-some days guilt comes into play-today is one of those days--- other days shrug it off-  I really get p---ed off when that comment comes about my kids because they are my number one priority.  I knocked my head a good one today-big goose egg on it--that sets off trigger for sure.  Take A deep breathe and ok back to get my work done--

(p.s. this may not make sense-but when I am in the moment this is how my thought process is and how I have to get it out to go on-my coping skill to deal with PTSD-this is my safety zone  to go on with the day and not linger on and on about it--Thanks

Take Care

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
bubbasmama27
by Group Owner on Mar. 8, 2009 at 4:13 PM

That is a great way to organize your thoughts and cope with your rough days! I hope you can continue to feel safe here and do that on here anytime you feel the need. Thats is a good example for anyone else who has trouble dealing with some days. (Which is all of us I imagine!)

Identifying your original thoughts that "set you off" or having you feeling real anxious/depressed/irritated... whatever form they take for you... Is the first step in overcoming them! Once you can identify them for what they are, try to figure out why you are thinking these things at that very moment. What happened before these thoughts? What happened after these thoughts? Did you have a panic attack after these thoughts? If you did, how can you change these thoughts? By trying to identify what happened before these thoughts we can try to change the thoughts that disturb your daily "flow" and get you all upset by coming up with alternative thoughts to the same situations.

For example... Say you invited a friend to come over your house for a playdate with your kids. Your friend said no because one of her kids is coughing and his nose is running everywhere, she does not want to pass the cold around. You automatically think, "Geez, she's not my friend, she's just making up excuses to not come over because she doesn't like me!" But in reality - her child is sick and she doesn't want to pass it around.

Another example of this is a little more serious. You were raped by an acquantance. You feel as if this is all your fault and there is something you should have done to prevent it or to stop it from happening. When in reality this is something you could not have known was going to happen and it was a situation out of control. IT WAS NOT YOUR FAULT!!!! If you fought back you may have hurt yourself even more. If you didn't fight back and just "let it happen" this is a totally normal response to an out of control situation. Your body goes into a fight-or-flight response and there is nothing wrong with either response!!!!

If you can identify these thoughts and work on trying to change them into more "realistic" thoughts then this would be a major weight lifted off your shoulders! Psychologists call these "dysfunctional thoughts" and use Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to change them into a way of thinking that is not so distorted. This is a common thing for people with PTSD to have, because when you experience a traumatic event that is so out of the norm of reality and so surreal, it is easy to have your thoughts begin to take the same "unrealistic" turn every now and then.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)