Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Real tree or fake one?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:47 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 415 Total Views

Every December - around the 1st or 2nd week - Dad took us to one of the most popular intersections in our neighborhood to buy a plump evergreen tree to put up in our small 2 bedroom apartment. It couldn't be any taller than 6 feet and he had to haul it up 20 steps. However, when he set that tree up on the stand the smell instantly filled our apartment and it was officially Christmas time at our place. The next day was always a day full of opening Christmas decorations, baking favorite treats, listening to Christmas tunes, watching Christmas movies and spending time together decorating our tree and wrapping family gifts. It's always been a favorite time of year and the smell of a freshly cut Christmas tree reminds me of those sweet childhood memories.

When my son was born we lived in a very tiny one bedroom apartment that barely fit a 2 foot tree. So when we finally bought our house I couldn't wait to buy our very first evergreen to mount up in our living room. For me - there is nothing like that Christmas tree smell to kick start the holiday spirit in me.

Do you have a Christmas memory or tradition that you continued with your kids?

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
emilyrosenj
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 9:31 AM

We had no traditions when I was a child, most years we couldn't even afford to have a tree. 

With my children, hubby and I plan a day to do the decorating and we all put on Santa hats and decorate together,  Then we drink hot chocolate and watch a Christmas movie.  Recently it has been Polar Express.

yvonne37
by Member on Dec. 7, 2009 at 5:14 PM

Well when I was growing up my parents had a really small, fake tree, that i hated to put up, because it was a pain in the butt.. I dont know if anyone remember those that had a stick in the middle and you had to pock all the branches in? those! and it had fake snow on it, that would make you itch for the whole day... so as soon as I had my first baby I decided to get real trees.. we are making it a tradition, so much that my son who is 13 said he will bring his kids to the same place we go so they can cut their trees too :)) 

We go to a farm in cranbury nj.. have lots of fun cutting it and hauling it to the van..lol

here is a pic of this years tree. its not finished.. cant put the things in the bottom because the cat thinks they are toys..lol.

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/yvonne37
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)