Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help With Cat

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:25 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 341 Total Views

My cat is driving me nuts!!  lol. All of a sudden she has started pooping on the floor. Up until about 8 months ago she was litter box trained had no problems. Now she will pee in the litter box but refuses to poop in it. I took her to the vet and they wanna give her prozac. Well my SO wont let me pay $120 a month for the pills.Has anyone dealt with this?? If it dont start I gotta get rid of her. I have tried different litters, different places in the house. I dontknow what else to do. Nothing in her life that I know of changed to make her do this. Hope someone can give me some ideas?? 

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
EireLass
by Member on Apr. 9, 2009 at 6:39 AM

I've never heard of giving a cat Prozac. I've heard of alot of dogs on it. What does he think the prozac is going to do for the cat, jog her memory and make her remember where to poop? What's his idea with this? 

LoveMyBunch
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Quoting EireLass:

I've never heard of giving a cat Prozac. I've heard of alot of dogs on it. What does he think the prozac is going to do for the cat, jog her memory and make her remember where to poop? What's his idea with this? 

He says that she has seperation anxiety cause she only poops right by the back door on the tile. I just dont understand why it developed all of a sudden. She was doing only when I left but now she is doing it all the time.

hightideatsea
by Member on Apr. 10, 2009 at 8:12 AM

I too, have never heard of a cat on Prozac but if your cat does have seperation anxiety, isn't there anything else the vet could suggest?  Maybe you should get a second opinion.  When I first got my dog, after he got used to being around me and I went back to work, he had seperation anxiety and would tear up the trash in the kitchen or get up on the table and chew whatever was on the table...including my bluetooth headseat for my cell phone.  Now when I leave he gets crated.  It's for his own good, and mine! 

I don't think this will work well with a cat however, but one thing I did when my cat started doing this (years ago) was place the poop inside the litter box and leave it there, then show the cat the poop.  Each time he pooped on the floor, I would repeat this and that seemed to work for my cat.  With in a couple days he was back to using his litter box.  You could also try getting another cat to keep him company while you are away, if you want another cat and can afford it.  Don't know if that will help any, but it's an idea.

Hightideatsea
Anna122
by New Member on May. 5, 2009 at 10:10 PM

Did you try getting a new litter box ? see if that works i had that promblem once and got rid of my old litter box and got a new one or try useing a different litter in it try those two things see if that helps

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)