Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Standard vs. Prime

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:54 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 300 Total Views

I was told by Tricare if you don't have any other insurance besides Tricare that Prime is the best way to go... Do you think this is true? We have Prime but were thinking about switching to an off base pediatrition for the kids. What do you like/dislike about Prime or Standard?

Marine Wife to my highschool sweetheart Kris (10-09-2004), mother to Christian(5) & Joshua(1). Expecting our third (due 3-17-10).

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
diamondgrl
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 2:27 PM

always get prime !!!!!

MommaSteph85
by Member on Nov. 9, 2009 at 4:55 PM

When we had standard and we were paying dang near 100 per dr visit. so prime is the way to go

I am a breastfeeding/formula feeding, circumcising, non- flu vaxing, spanking when needed, baby wearing, Marine wife, proud momma of 4 boys and soon to be 1 girl.

sstar2108
by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 7:02 AM

Do primre you don't pay for anything. With Standard you have co-pays and such. We were seeing and off base doctor and it's fine they take prime and we have never had to pay anything

Gemini_Gal
by New Member on Nov. 10, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Tricare Prime is def the way to go.  Going standard seems like the easier way to go and although at times that may be true, you will find yourself paying money out of pocket for every visit.  The difference between the two are simple.  When you have a doc that accepts tricare prime, they have agreed to accept the payment that tricare gives them for your care and the rest is dropped and is not considered your bill.  On standard what happens is, that if you go to the doc and your bill comes out to $250 and tricare only pays $100 of that, then the other $150 is now your responsibility to pay.  I hope this helps you.  Try asking Tricare if they can give you a civilian PCM.  I know when I lived here 4 yrs ago I had a civilian PCM that took Tricare Prime.  I now use the base clinic though. 

jdbaker22
by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Ok thanks everyone! I will definately be keeping Prime!

Marine Wife to my highschool sweetheart Kris (10-09-2004), mother to Christian(5) & Joshua(1). Expecting our third (due 3-17-10).

Aschne0202
by New Member on Nov. 14, 2009 at 4:15 PM

I have had both prime and Tricare. I agree that it is nice having prime and not having to pay anything out of pocket but thats the only plus. It is nice and worth it being able to go anywhere you want with standard and only paying a bit out of pocket. I prefer my doctors back in MI and with tricare standard I can continue to see them. I haven't been to a facitliy in Jville that I like yet so I will be sticking with standard. JMO :-)

tiffk2000
by New Member on Nov. 30, 2009 at 7:12 PM

Quoting Aschne0202:

I have had both prime and Tricare. I agree that it is nice having prime and not having to pay anything out of pocket but thats the only plus. It is nice and worth it being able to go anywhere you want with standard and only paying a bit out of pocket. I prefer my doctors back in MI and with tricare standard I can continue to see them. I haven't been to a facitliy in Jville that I like yet so I will be sticking with standard. JMO :-)

What are the co pays like with Standard?? I have contemplated switching to Standard so that I can go to an OB/GYN out in town, because I HATE the Naval hospital.. I would like to know about co pays and such before I make the decision though, since if I do switch I will be stuck with Standard for at least 12 months...

marinesProud Marine Wife expecting baby

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)