Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hey all I'm new!

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:59 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 424 Total Views

Hello everyone!

My name is Paula we will be relocating soon to camp lejeune...i have some questions...how is base housing? we are on the list but we havent been there to check it out...what about the surrounding area if we cant get on base? any suggestions? What do u all do out there for fun I heard there isnt much to do there....well thanks in advance!

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
iLuvMyBaby1016
by Member on Jan. 19, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Well Base housing, I guess will depend on your prefrence and what house you get. Do you know if you are on the list for TT or Midway park? I don't know much about Midway park, but TT 2 are building new houses and theyre pretty nice. I don't live there however I will be moving next month on base. My friend lives on TT2 [[Tarawa Terrace]] [[sp]] and her house is pretty nice, the living room is kinda small but some houses have a different floor plans. I live off of base, as I mentioned before and I live in an apartement right outside of TT2 but things are getting a little expensive for us, which is why were moving on base. With rent, sewage, electricity, water and the rest; money can get tight! There isn't much to do here, and if you happend to move here and find something to do please let me know! If you go outside of Jville you can find a few things to do. It also depends on how old your kids are. Like I said if you go outside of Jville you can find the aqarium, and meuseums to name a couple.On base theres bowling, and the movies which is 2$ I think(not 100% sure). There's also parks and playgrounds. People here are big on camping and stuff. Well I hope this helps! If I can think of anything else, or if you have any other question feel free to ask or PM me.

julie515
by Member on Jan. 19, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Midway Park is okay, it's a lot smaller than TT though if that matters to you.  It does have it's own movie theatre (one theatre) and gas station.  I know that it has a gym, but I'd go to TT if I were you.  Some of the houses are really old (built in the 50's and 60's), but they are currently knocking them down and building some really beautiful ones.  So, if you move onto Midway Park, you might get one of the older, smaller houses for a while then they'd move you again to a new house.  Some of the "new" houses were built a few years ago, but those are really nice as well.

If you move off base (we live off base), then I would really look around first.  There are a few cities nearby that some people live in, like Swansboro.  I've heard that the closer you live to base, the worse it is...  I guess that where I live is an okay neighborhood.  I guess that if you have to move out in town, I would really talk to the neighbors of a house or apartment that you are looking at.  That way, you'd know that there's a couple of single guys renting a house next door together who plan on throwing loud parties every weekend or the landlord won't fix anything that's broken (we had one of those).

The average age of a person living here is 22 (I'm really not kidding, look it up).  So everything here is based around that, the steakhouses everywhere, the bars that seem to crop up like weeds, the fact that the Chuck-E-Cheese has just a few games for smaller kids (under 5).  There are some really cool things to do with kids though, if you are willing to drive out of town.  There's bowling (on base is pretty cheap), there's an aquarium that is really nice despite it's advertisements, there's a Children's Museum in Wilmington (about an hour drive, sometimes more), and more.  I know that once a month during the summer, the city does a free movie under the stars (after it gets dark).  You just have to find out the websites to look for and check them often. 

Proud member of the Pickyeaters Club.  Join me at the new group Feeding the Picky.  http://www.cafemom.com/group/feedingthepicky  You should be able to just click on it.  If not, cut and paste.

Smallsavonlady
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Hello well i live on new river. We moved into base houseing in August. I love it here on this base its so peaceful.

jdbaker22
by on Jan. 20, 2010 at 11:14 AM

Welcome to CL! I'm Jennifer. I stay home with my boys and my DH works on the Air Station. We live on TT2 in the new housing. It's very nice in my opinion. I'm not sure of the other housing areas because I've never been inside them. No, there really isn't much to do around here. It's a small town from what I'm used to and the restaurant selection sucks! If you drive to Wilmington about 30 minutes away there is more. Hope you have a safe move.

Marine Wife to my highschool sweetheart Kris (10-09-2004), mom to Christian(5) & Joshua(1). Expecting our third (due 3-17-10).

jdbaker22
by on Jan. 20, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Oh and summer time is nice we spent most of our time either at the beach (the beaches are nice here) or at the TT pool. We went to this mini golf place a few times and cookouts with neighbors/friends. And there is alot of playgrounds on TT in walking distance.

Marine Wife to my highschool sweetheart Kris (10-09-2004), mom to Christian(5) & Joshua(1). Expecting our third (due 3-17-10).

MsNancy
by on Jan. 20, 2010 at 11:25 AM

We have been in Jville since July. I live off base, but I have been on housing on TT2. They are usually built like duplex townhouses. The living area IS kinda small but, housing is brand new. They have practically torn down all of old housing.

Base activities are pretty cheap. The movies are $2 for adults, $1 for kids  under 12 I think. Their concession stand prices are really cheap too. They usually get  new movies in pretty quickly. It's worth waiting awhile, especially when you compare the price to the Carmike Cinema beside the mall.

The base also has a bowling alley which is also reasonable and great for kid's bday parties.

Camp Lejeune also has it's own beach, Onslow Beach. They have cabanas and cabins that you can rent.They also have real showers with hot running water and a sheltered picnic area.

The base library offers free movie nite once a month I think. go to http://www.mccslejeune.com/ and check out alot more things that are offered.

Most housing areas have several playgrounds for the kids and there are a couple of nice ones out in town. There are also multiple recreation areas in Onslow county that have water access.

Hammocks Beach State park isn't far away and you are only an hour from Wilmington, and Atlantic beach.( you can also check out New Bern and Cherry Point is only an hour away also) There are many small beaches nearby. Emerald Isle has a water park , and it is about 45 mins away.

No, Jacksonville isn't a thriving metropolitan area. It's full of tattoo parlors, barber shops, and restaraunts.It has to be because of all the Marines that are stationed here. Camp Lejeune, New River Air Station, Camp Geiger, and Camp Johnson are all here.

But each base you are stationed at is what you make of it.Get out and about. Don't be scared to get to know people. Ask the locals too. They are from here. They may be able to show you something a military family might not know about.

Hope this helps.

amber_mommyof2_
by on Jan. 20, 2010 at 11:37 AM

hey. we live on tt2. we live in the townhouse type house...its nice but i wish we could have gotten a different floor plan. like someone said the living rooms are small but everything is very new and nice. there are alot of playgrounds around which is nice( ihave a 2 and 4yr old). everyone seems to mind there own around here too..which is good lol. as far as jacksonville...i think its boring. the beaches are nice and not too far away is the aquarium. welcome to jacksonville/camp lejeune. hope you settle in fast!!

Alexismum090107
by New Member on Jan. 23, 2010 at 11:27 PM

Thanks everyone for responding!! we will be moving this spring or fall depending on if we get a house on base.

LynnB1
by New Member on Jan. 30, 2010 at 7:35 PM

I live off base.....thinking about all the things I have and trying to get them into base housing wouldve never worked. It is REALLY tight on money when renting....I rent a home right off the piney green gate and its a beautiful home. I would prefer to save money but I think either way we will be tight on money.....so we chose to live out in town. There's not much to do really aside from going to a few parks they have here, the beach or what jacksonville calls a mall...lol.....The best thing to do is make friends.......I found some great wives here and met them through my husbands friends....and we get together and have family dinners...watch movies at home (because we all have young children) and on fridays and saturdays its great! We'll do bbq's, have a few drinks and play card games and board games. It's not all that bad. I've been here for almost a year and I've had quite a bit of fun. As far as going out, I'll take a drive to Raleigh and Cary and Durham......there's just nothing good to eat here because theres like 5 restaurants lol and lots and lots of fast food. Basically there's 2 main roads in town, Marine Blvd and Western.......not too much goin on....lots of barbershops, bars, tattoo shops and strip clubs.....The bars/ clubs are for the most part boring. I hear Hooligans can be nice because they have live acts...however its packed so tight theres no point in going...might as well hang out in your closet...LOL.....I'm more than happy to make friends and have ladies nights, or spend nights in........Oh and I go to school full time which takes up time too....lol

Hope your trip here is great!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)