Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has your DH had to do this?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:36 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 284 Total Views

My DH is deploying for the 3rd time, but this time with a new unit and I was wondering if your hubbies have had to make a will and plan their funneral before a deployment? He's never done this before, but this is his first time to Afghanistan, so I don't know if that is something his unit does or b/c it's Afghan. or what. Just wondering.

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hayleyberstler
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:14 PM

I'm not sure if my husband's unit made them write a will and plan their funeral wishes, but my husband did it before he deployed. I think, no matter where you are deployed, it is a good idea to have one. Actually, it's probably a good idea to have one no matter what!

anzaldua
by Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:22 PM

MY HUSBAND WAS TOLD TO MAKE A WILL BEFORE BOTH HIS DEPLOYMENTS ONE WAS TO IRAQ AND THE OTHER TO AFGHANISTAN.

marinewife52704
by Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:06 PM

my hubby had to do a will before his 1st deployment i dont remember if he had to do again for his second 

this is me i'm a co-sleeping breast and bottle feeding CIO vaxing pro life gun owning christian momma.   

stpalmsgirl
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 2:57 AM

Yes my dh made a Will for us and it also had a section about his funeral plans.Every soldier who is getting deployed should leave a Will to his spouse or family in case something will happen to him. Your husband doesn't have to do it, nobody will force him to do it but it will make a lot of things easier for you just in case...

Tell your hubby to take care and stay safe!

MommyD269
by Member on Jun. 10, 2009 at 10:29 AM

As far as I know, they are having anyone who is deploying now do both. I know my DH had to before he left for Afghanistan, not sure if he did when he went to Iraq back in 2002 or 2003.

mauspond
by Member on Jun. 10, 2009 at 10:44 AM

yep, my dh's whole unit did a will before he left back in 2002.  Don't know about funeral arrangements, but I know a will is strongly encouraged anytime anyone is deployed.

ktnbags
by on Jun. 11, 2009 at 9:16 AM

I think it's a good idea, but since he's never done it before I was kind of thinking it's b/c they're more likely to have soemthing happen (since he's with special opps now). But I'm glad it seems to be just a standard thing.

MommyD269
by Member on Jun. 12, 2009 at 11:01 PM

Yep, understandable. When I found out about it, and when the CACO officer did his spiel at the predeployment briefing, felt like someone kicked me in the stomach. It does kind of help to know that its standard across the board!

jessbcuz23
by New Member on Jun. 16, 2009 at 10:53 AM

my husband is also going to Afghan and he is also told to make a will and get everything in order just in case. my husband has deployed 4 times before and we have done this every time just in case even when the unit never told us to. but this time his unit told him he needs to. im not sure if it is because it is afghan he has only been deployed to iraq so it might be because of afghan or because it is LeJeune.. sorry i cant help more but my husband and i did do it.  

travswifey
by on Jun. 21, 2009 at 6:32 PM

I don't think my hubs did any of that. He is on a MEU though? I know his wishes and he did get all the "money" issues squared away before he left. I told him he needed to do a will, because I am not fighting with his inconsiderate parents, but I'm the beneficiary of everything, so could they really have a say in any of it?

Sorry maybe I should make a new post and ask that. :/

bellswifey
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)