Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Delivering on Base - help ASAP

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:02 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 295 Total Views

Does anyone have any suggestions about a good OB? I am 30 weeks and was planning a home birth but my DH is having second thoughts and we are getting down to the wire. I have heard horrible things about delivering at the Naval Hospital so I was wondering if anyone had any words of wisdom! Thanks!

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
sstar2108
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 9:57 AM

A friend of mine delivered out and town. She said Onslow Hospital wasn't bad at all.Shehad a C-section and they did every thing they could and what ever she needed she got

kris3025
by Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 10:49 AM

I delievered at Onslow Hospital and it was great.  They helped me with whatever I needed and did all they could to make me comfortable.  My OB is Crist Cinic for women.  I see Dr Tomeo and he is really nice and straight forward. 

marinewife52704
by Member on Aug. 13, 2009 at 10:14 AM

i delivered on base and i had no problems. all my staff were awesome they listened to all my concerns and answered all my questions. i wasnt the niciest person when i was in labor and they still where awesome. very understanding and friendly. if i have anymore kids i'll def be going back on base. i love it.

this is me i'm a co-sleeping breast and bottle feeding CIO vaxing pro life gun owning christian momma.   

mommyof2grls06
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 12:23 PM

I delivered at the naval hospital 3 weeks ago and they were pretty good. I was happy that once I told them no drugs, they didn't offer again, they said that if I changed my mind they would get someone and that was that. They were willing to go along with whatever I wanted to do. I was up walking or in the shower for most of my labor.

Proud Marine Wife

A proud Christian, Republican, Anti- Gay marriage because marriage is between a man and a woman only, Pro- Life because babies are a gift from God and shouldn't be killed for any reason, Natural childbirth having because it's better for you and your baby than drugs, Soon to be homeschooling because I don't like the things they try to teach my children in pubilc schools, Pro-Life for babies NOT convicts, Extended breastfeeding, Baby wearing, Attachment parenting, Extended Rear Facing and Extended Harnessing because my children aren't minimums, Spanking when needed, ANTI- CIO because leaving your child to cry in a room alone to go to sleep is horrible for their little brains, Co-sleeping because I don't want go have to get up in the middle of the night to a hungry child, mommy to my 3 beautiful girls!

vances_mom
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 10:32 AM
I "accidentally" had a homebirth about 2 months ago. When we got to the hospital (via an ambulance) Olivia Marshburn was the midwife on duty. She was awesome! If you read my journal about my "un-planned UC" there is more detail about my experience. I'd write more, but I'm nursing dd and typing on my stupid blackberry right now! Lol
MarinesWife83
by Member on Aug. 18, 2009 at 11:26 AM

I had my Twins there last year and it was nice. I've also had the pleasure of delivering at Onslow a few years back. The only negative I have about base is that they were constantly in there to check on me yet they told me to get some rest. Well, can't do that if you are coming in at 3 am. I don't like Onslow very much. When I had my daughter there in 03' it was bc Naval was crappy. My Dr. was part of Onslow. I was to be induced and ended up with a horrible midwife that belonged in a slasher film(when she tried breaking my water UGH) and I've had chronic back pain ever since my epi....had to br redone 2x's. So...yes there are some horror stories from when Nval wasn't remodled and not given an over all clean up with the nurses and Dr. But Onslow doesn't have an awesome track record either. EWWW I could go on about both I guess.

CafeMom Tickers
Jimbosbaby
by Member on Aug. 19, 2009 at 2:11 PM

I delivered my twin boys at the Naval Hosp in 04 and they were awesome, great OB, great nursing staff. I had a C-section due to breech presentation with both boys and it was not bad at all. I was pretty pleased with the Naval Hospital...definitely better than the Naval Hosp on Okinawa that's for sure LOL :)

Photobucket
Jimbosbaby. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

Check out my group...
http://www.cafemom.com/group/moodblackwhitechildrenphoto
marinewifey07
by Member on Aug. 23, 2009 at 1:58 PM

My friend had her baby girl at Naval 2 mths ago, when getting her "wet spinal epidural" the person that later referred to themself as Nurse So&So (NOT ANESTHESIOLGIST), did something and she ended up having spinal headaches and had to lie flat on her back for a WEEK after the baby was born. Meaning the spinal fluid surrounding her brain leaked out and basically instead of her brain "floating" it was just basically sitting inside her head causing extreme migranes. When she had to be taken to the ER after getting out of the hospital because how sick and how much pain she was in, the nurse in the ER said although it was something "rare" in general it was something that happened much too often at that hospital. Other than that I think she had a decent experience at Naval. I am pregnant with #2 and after finding out so I switched to Tricare standard so I could choose my doctor out in town, I go to Women's Healthcare Assoc. and I have seen Dr. Machin and Dr. Middleton, both women and both very sweet. I will be delivering at Onslow.

watkinsme
by Member on Aug. 24, 2009 at 1:11 PM

You don't have to be a dr to be an anesthetist  - you can be a nurse and be a CRNA - and FYI Onslow uses CRNA's too

I have personally had 2 epidurals and 1 spinal at the naval hospital and have never ended up with a spinal headache - my neighbor however has has 2 epi's done at Onslow and had spinal headaches with both....they actually are quite common

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)