Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dog grooming

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 8:02 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 160 Total Views

I work with adults that are developmentally disabled and someone got the bright idea to help them open a dog grooming business. I don't have experience in this area. I was wondering how much does a dog groomer get paid hourly? Is there a difference in pay if your licensed or not? Any other comments would be great! Thanks SO much for the help!

thank you

christmas treeCindy

by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 8:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Cindy18
by on Dec. 19, 2008 at 5:53 AM

bump

christmas treeCindy

Collegevillemom
by Group Owner on Dec. 19, 2008 at 8:08 AM

I am not really sure about this. Any type of business needs licensing for tax purposes and all of that. However, I don't think that the price of the service should be less than anywhere else. Price should factor in experience though. If these adults have a lot of experience working with dogs-I would imagine they could charge standard rate. Are they going to perform bathing and clipping? I would think that some kind of insurance would be needed because there are people that are sue happy-I have heard clippers can get hot and cause burns, some dogs that wiggle a lot can cause nail trimming to be dangerous because it is easy to cut too short and certainly there are dogs that can get aggressive with people or dogs in environments or situations they are not comfortable with. I think it is a nice idea-but one that should definatly be well thought out nd planned for all of those reasons. Some groomers like pet smart charge about 25-30 dollars maybe more depending on size, hair length etc. My pug is 25 and my lab/shepherd mix is 30. I know smaller, independantly owned charge around 45-50 because I did look into a few places at one point. Good luck. I think that is is a nice idea-how developmentally challenged are these adults? Would they be able to handle all kinds of dogs and problems? Also, some of the proper euipment can be expensive as a start up cost too.

Cindy18
by on Dec. 19, 2008 at 2:05 PM

There are a few people from different organizations involved with all this. My job is to find the people that can handle the dogs and work and to find out if it would be more cost effective to hire a groomer to mentor our guys or to send them to a school.

It wasn't my idea for the grooming business. I was pulled in later. What I'm most frustrated about is the fact that no one involved has any experience with dog grooming. Why dog grooming? Wouldn't it make more business sense to start a business that someone has some experience in?

Thanks for the reply!!

christmas treeCindy

proudoldmom
by Member on Dec. 20, 2008 at 8:54 AM

I was glad to read that they at least do plan to give them some training because  a LOT of dogs dont like to go to the groomers  very much. There are of course exceptions...  but  by and large most dogs just dont like it much.  While its  a wonderful idea ,  I was questioning  in my mind, if dog grooming was especially the BEST one to go with.        ANY animal  out of its comfort zone can react unpredictably,  and  its  not their fault understandably. 

I wish  you every luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)