Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Insight appreciated

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 3:58 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 374 Total Views

My dog Hope( lab/shepherd mix) has some skin issue. Her hair is falling out like crazy and is not the normal shed. You can tug lightly and clumps come out in certain spots. I also noticed that she has scab like stuff all over her skin under the hair. I picked at some to pull it off and it almost sorta looks like dried blood. I also noticed she has been chewing/licking her tail more than usual. I am going to take her to the vet tomorrow to see about this, but wondered if anyone knew anything.

We have had a lot of commotion in the house recently and I wondered if my dogs and Hope in paticular was stressed.. I am days from delivering( I hope) and we also were hosting a foster dog who was here for a few months. Hope and Roxie really bonded. Originally, I was worrying about her because she seemed depressed and wasn't really eating. Mr. Barkley even seemed to have less appetite. I switched their food to see if that would help and it did. They are both eating normally again. She seems to be in better sprits too. Now, I have the skin thing. We did take them both to the groomer a week ago today-last Sunday. Although I had clearly pet her, I didn't really notice all the hair loss and scabbing until a few days later. It doesn't seem to be getting better. The scabbing seems to be worse actually. I notice it around her neck and on her back end. near the tail. Is this from a reaction to something the groomer used? What can I do? Do you think this is just a symptom of the stress? If you hve any avice, please let me know.

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
azgrammy
by Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 7:22 PM

did you call the groomer to find out what products were used?  this would be helpful, before seeing your vet.

i'd also wonder about thyroid?  diabetes?  both tend to make the fur look dry and brittle and create it to fall out in clumps, most often around the hind end, back and collar.

both can create hairloss, but the scab thing is not a common symptom.  unless it's caused by chewing.....

let us know what the vet says! 

proudoldmom
by Member on Jul. 9, 2009 at 9:33 AM

Our golden began getting a bare spot on his tail a few years ago..  Eventually it got bigger  and now is about the size of a  small baseball...   The   vet    said  its  a  gland  thing  and that  its  not all that uncommon, especially in the older  larger dogs...  and that it  doesnt hurt them and causes  no problems , and suggested  i put  a little  sun screen on it if he's going to be outside  in the sun.

Still,   azgrammy has really  great point  about  this because  some of the stuff they use in the doggie salons  is to harsh for some.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)