Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you getting pissed off being told where not to smoke?

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2011 at 4:40 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 1315 Total Views
1 mom liked this

Dont know about you guys up in the US, but here in New Zealand there is just about no where I can go for a smoke apart from outside on the pavement! Be keen to get your feedback, I hate these fucking rules! So sometimes I break them a little....if Im out for dinner or clubbing I will smoke in the ladies, or on the dance floor - I refuse to go outside and stand on the pavement to light up!

Just a week before chrissy I decided to go to the supermarket to finish off the food shopping. I was smoking in the car on the way, arrived at the supermarket with still a cigarette in my hand so I went in to the supermarket, shopping list in one hand and ciggy in the other. I felt like a fucking criminal! But was determined to finish it. Half way round the supermarket I did, without any hassle from the owner or staff, and happily stubbed the butt out on the floor with my barefoot and finished the shopping! My boys thought mummy was real cool!

An Asian family moved in next door, so did the neighbourly thing and introduced myself to them. Arrived at the door to meet them, I did have my ciggy's with me, one already going. Asked if it was ok to smoke in their house, they were unsure, but want desparately to be seen as 'kiwis' so said no problems. Went to their house smoking, stayed for two hours, drinking chear Japanese wine and had two more fucking cigarettes....

Be keen to get your comment.  I think its time to fight back....Im sick of being treated like a second class mummy , just because I smoke!   

by on Dec. 30, 2011 at 4:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ES79
by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 8:49 PM

I definitely miss being able to smoke in restaurants, bars, hotel rooms (many state/city laws make all hotel rooms nonsmoking), trains, etc.

I hope for some miracle in the future that relaxes smoking restrictions, even if it is only to bring back "smoking sections."

Karla1948
by Member on Sep. 8, 2012 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I moved from Germany to California in 2005. It was culture shock! In 2005, you could still smoke anywhere you wanted in Germany (but that is now changing). And California has some of the strictest anti-smokng laws out there. Airplanes, especially the longer flights, is where I miss smoking the most. People pay extra money to sit in business; I would certainly pay extra money to sit in smoking. Most restaurants and coffee shops here have outdoor tables where they allow smoking. Many hotel chains like Marriott are smoke-free (which is why my travels are Marriott-free), but many others reserve a small percentage of their rooms for smokers. You must ask! 

Advertising Banner Designs - Only $9.00

Simian
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Yes I hate when the government tells me that i am not allowed to smoke, even i disturb nobody,...this is simply fanatism and governmental greed towards the tabacco industry

GarysWife1991
by on May. 11, 2013 at 7:07 AM

I've only been smoking a little over 10 years so I'm pretty used to all the restrictions.  They drive my mom nuts though.

KatieS1979
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Yes, I find all the restrictions to be quite frustrating.  I certainly miss being able to smoke in restaurants ("Smoking or non?" "Smoking, please!").  And, all the hotels/motels going totally smoke-free is pretty ridiculous too.

gophermommy
by on May. 17, 2013 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I can deal with the restrictions but could they leave the effing taxes alone????

Simian
by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this

yes totally agree, i remeber well the 80ies,....why can't we get back to that?

Quoting KatieS1979:

Yes, I find all the restrictions to be quite frustrating.  I certainly miss being able to smoke in restaurants ("Smoking or non?" "Smoking, please!").  And, all the hotels/motels going totally smoke-free is pretty ridiculous too.

bozobean
by on Feb. 22, 2014 at 7:51 PM
I vape e cigs, and now I'm hearing about city governments wanting to ban/regulate them like regular tobacco. Damn! I hate the government trying to be a control freak. I'd consider moving to a more smoker friendly state or even country eventually if it gets worse. The government is getting so nanny ass controlling. It's just getting wacko. By the way, I'm in health nut northern California bay area. :o/

Quoting Simian:

yes totally agree, i remeber well the 80ies,....why can't we get back to that?

Quoting KatieS1979:

bozobean
by on Feb. 22, 2014 at 8:04 PM
Hi, I'm new to the group. I'm Jennifer, nice to meet you. You just about make me want to move to Germany. Lol I was born and raised in health nut California. It must have been nice to smoke wher ever you wanted to back then. I vape Blu e cigs, and now there are cities in this country that wnt to ban/regulate those to only designated areas. E cigs don't even put out smoke, just odorless liquid vapor for crying out loud. Just UGH! Give me a break!

Quoting Karla1948:

I moved from Germany to California in 2005. It was culture shock! In 2005, you could still smoke anywhere you wanted in Germany (but that is now changing). And California has some of the strictest anti-smokng laws out there. Airplanes, especially the longer flights, is where I miss smoking the most. People pay extra money to sit in business; I would certainly pay extra money to sit in smoking. Most restaurants and coffee shops here have outdoor tables where they allow smoking. Many hotel chains like Marriott are smoke-free (which is why my travels are Marriott-free), but many others reserve a small percentage of their rooms for smokers. You must ask! 

Karla1948
by Member on Apr. 2, 2014 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I've gotten somewhat accustomed to being in places where I can't smoke, but now that I've been part-time vaping for over a year, and with the new restrictions on vaping, I'm getting very irritated with going places where vaping should be perfectly acceptable, but now it's not. My God, it's just steam! Like what drifts from a cup of hot coffee.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)