Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When you were a child, were your parents smokers?

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 8:52 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 1863 Total Views

The post about whether your kids mind that you smoke got me thinking about when I was a child and whether I ever nagged or complained to my parents about their smoking.

Did anybody else have parents who were heavy smokers and do you remember complaining about it or nagging them to quit or not smoke around you?

by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 8:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ES79
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Both my parents were (and are) smokers, my mother a very heavy smoker and my father a fairly heavy smoker. I was pretty much surrounded by cigarette smoke while growing up. Until I was 10, my mom was a SAHM and would smoke pretty much constantly, even when tucking me and sister in to bed and readin us bedtime stories. But, despite that, I don't really remember complaining about it, don't think my sister did either. Of course, sometimes in the car or if I was in the same room with my mom, or mom and dad, while they were smoking cigarette after cigarette sometimes I know the smoke got to me a little and I coughed, but I don't think I really nagged them about it.

MomKira
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Wow that threw me off, I thought I replied to this topic already but it was the one you posted in "moms who smoke", lol.

To answer again, shortly, my mom was a very heavy smoker, even around us, probably why I ended up smoking at a young age. I never complained because I didnt know any better.

Karla1948
by Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Both of my parents were smokers. I didn't particularly enjoy being around cigarette smoke, but I did accept it as normal adult behavior, and figured I too would start smoking when I was older. Which is exactly what I did.

Mamitamaria
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I used to give my parents a ton of shit about smoking...I remember I called my mom a heartless bitch because she smoked while she was pregnant with me...guess that came back to bite me in the ass...

Owner-Pregnant Brides  Were you pregnant when you tied the knot? Come share your experiences. Will you be pregnant when you get married? Come learn from our stories.

bella_angeleyez
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 3:48 PM

My mom didn't smoke and still doesn't. I didn't know my dad smoked until I was in the 4th grade. He did a good job trying to keep it away from me and my siblings. He quit a little after we found out.

JanelleBee
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 11:43 PM
My mom smokes my dad never has.
frenchsmoke
by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 2:21 PM
2 moms liked this
mom was a chain smoker, dad too, aunts too... happy smokers family :)
DianeSS
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this

My mom was and still is a heavy smoker.  My dad never smoked as much as she did but he did work steadily so perhaps he couldnt.

KatieS1979
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this

My mom has always been a heavy smoker.  She was basically a chainsmoker, smoking almost constantly, when I was young and she was a SAHM (I think she has said that she smoked 4+ packs a day back then).  Since then, she has been in the 2-3 pack range mostly.  My dad left us when I was 8, but as I recall he was a fairly heavy smoker as well.

For what it's worth, most of my relatives are or were smokers too.  In fact, it's tough to think of any adult relatives who don't smoke in my family.

ValG1973
by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 2:37 PM
2 moms liked this

My mom was divorced so we lived with my mom and my gram.  They both smoked and still do at the young ages of 60 and 83.  My older siblings started smoking around 15 - 16 so I think everyone just expected me to start.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN