Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who influenced you to start smoking?

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 8:24 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 2232 Total Views
2 moms liked this

For me, it was a combination of my mother and two girlfriends at school. I grew up watching my mother smoke, and always felt that I too would smoke one day. But it was when I came back to school for summer break, two of my best friends had started smoking during the summer, and that gave me the urge. I eventually told my mother that I wanted to smoke too, she had no problem with it, even told me that she expected it sooner or later, and offered me one of hers. It didn't take long until I too was smoking full time.

Advertising Banner Designs - Only $9.00

by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 8:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
cindysam
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:43 PM
2 moms liked this
It was my family. Everyone in my family were smokers, most from their very early teens so it was hard not to be influenced by them. No one encouraged me but I was always told to let them know when I started so I didn't have to hide it. I let my mom know shortly after my 13th b'day.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frenchsmoke
by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 2:18 PM
2 moms liked this
my mother teached me to smoke at 8. she gave me cigs and encouraged me to smoke one after another, and smoke since i woke up
Hildi-Gardi
by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this

My mother was also my influence.

bozobean
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 12:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Both my parents smoked. I always hated the smell of tobacco smoke, but now that there are e cigs, I'm in love with them.

in love          

sometimesred
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this

No one in my family smoked when I was growing up but I went to a parochial school and many girls there smoked.  I always wanted to, but was afraid to even try.  I never tried until I was 38.  Mostly influenced by other wives at social events I went to with DH and following them out when they smoked.  One finally offered me a cigarette, I took it and never turned back.

lazurm
by on May. 8, 2014 at 11:00 AM

My mother (heavy smoker) thought it'd be a way to cure me of my  public thumb sucking...at 12! Now I smoke and suck my thumb when I sleep. :(

KatieS1979
by Member on May. 11, 2014 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting lazurm:

My mother (heavy smoker) thought it'd be a way to cure me of my  public thumb sucking...at 12! Now I smoke and suck my thumb when I sleep. :(

Were you at all interested in smoking before she encouraged it?

I only ask because you don't usually hear of parents encouraging kids to smoke. Accepting it, yes, but not encouraging it. (Not trying to sound judgemental at all, honestly just curious. I'm a heavy smoker myself.)

lazurm
by on May. 26, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Quoting KatieS197
Quoting lazurm:

Were you at all interested in smoking before she encouraged it?

I only ask because you don't usually hear of parents encouraging kids to smoke. Accepting it, yes, but not encouraging it. (Not trying to sound judgemental at all, honestly just curious. I'm a heavy smoker myself.)

No, I wasn't interested at all but trusted her. :(

Ellen_Frankfurt
by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 1:49 PM

A little bit of influence came from all directions, but the biggest influence came jointly from my Mom, and my Aunt (Mom's sister), who was also the big-sister influence in my life. They always got together at least twice a week, and they'd chat for two or three hours at a time, with cigarettes almost constantly going. This always gave me the feeling that I too would eventually become a smoker one day.

Free Forum Sigs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)