Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who have YOU influenced ..?

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:19 AM
  • 13 Replies
  • 3302 Total Views
2 moms liked this

(A spinoff of who influenced you ...)

Two women come directly to mind when I think of this. Both while I was living in Germany, both Americans. One was military (married to military), the other was a military wife. The first was looking for a means of losing weight, and came to me about it. I did let her know that she'd be trading one problem for another, which she accepted. Asked about a good starter brand, asked me for a few tips. Long story short, she started, lost the weight, and her husband considered me to be his heroine! The other was during the first Gulf War, her d/h was deployed to Saudi Arabia, and she was stressing out big time. She mentioned to me that she heard that smoking helps to deal with stress, and did the same thing, pledging to quit smoking once her husband came home. Which she didn't do. Unlike the first one, I wasn't exactly on her husband's Christmas card list afterwards. He went to the Gulf, leaving behind a wife who didn't smoke, and came home to a smoker. As mentioned in the other thread, I was a partial influence on my daughter starting, but I give most of the credit there to her school friends.

A third that I think of, not one that I influenced to start smoking, but one, as an ex-smoker that I influenced to start again, was my late husband. When we started dating, he promised he wouldn't get on me about my smoking. After we had been dating for several weeks, during dinnner out, he mentioned it would be easier to stay quit if I too quit. I sighed, said to myself "oh shit, I see where this relationship is going, it happens every time I try to date a non-smoker". I got a bit defensive, and said, "well, we both know that's not going to happen, and you promised me you woundn't nag me about my smoking". It got quiet for a bit, and I tried to make a joke, "it would certainly solve problems for both of us if you started again, you obviously miss it". Well, during the course of the evening, he bummed a few of my cigarettes. The next weekend, when we got together again, he had his own.

Advertising Banner Designs - Only $9.00

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AshleyP1981
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 4:48 PM
4 moms liked this

I was smoking at 7, so I influenced at least three of my school girlfriends to smoke. It was usually at sleepovers. Then in high school there were a couple of girls and one guy that I dated. My daughter was the most significant, though. She tried her first puff, from my cigarette, when she was four. She is 8 and a half now and smokes as much as she likes.

debpalm
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:20 PM
2 moms liked this

My daughter has also started smoking and smoked over a pack a day now

frenchsmoke
by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 2:11 PM
3 moms liked this
my daughters! they both smoke now and really enjoy it
bozobean
by on Feb. 22, 2014 at 7:35 PM
I sneaked a couple of my mom's cigs as a teenager, but hated the smell so much. Now just recently at 42, I took an interest in e cigs after getting an e mail advert/offer for for them. I read a lot about them on the internet, and decided to get myself a starter set of Blu e cigs. I'm in love with them now. I've gone through almost two cartridges these past two days, which is equivalent to two packs of regular cigs. I want to finish this cartridge (tobacco flavor), and start one of my vanilla flavor cartridges.

Quoting AshleyP1981:

I was smoking at 7, so I influenced at least three of my school girlfriends to smoke. It was usually at sleepovers. Then in high school there were a couple of girls and one guy that I dated. My daughter was the most significant, though. She tried her first puff, from my cigarette, when she was four. She is 8 and a half now and smokes as much as she likes.

juliehod
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 10:55 AM

My sister. She's 2 years younger than me.

Hildi-Gardi
by on Mar. 2, 2014 at 3:46 PM

I don't think I've directly influenced anyone to start smoking who had never smoked, but after 20 years of being in the military, I was at least a partial influence for many who had quit smoking to start smoking again.

bozobean
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 12:41 AM

Oh, to answer the question of the post, the answer is no. I have not influenced anyone to smoke, but if my husband decides he wants to smoke, I'm definitely going to introduce him to e cigs.

in love          

loni_gatienne
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 9:14 PM

when i was hitting the bars in college, often guys would try to bum a cigarette from me, as a way to start a conversation. i was a salem 100s smoker, not exactly a brand that men would prefer to smoke. so i started carrying a pack of marlboro lights in my purse - so if a guy wanted a cigarette from me, it would be one that would hold more apeal to him. i'm pretty sure i influnced the smoking of some of the guys i met.

val55
by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this

i influenced one person to start again. we were working together and dating. his parents and his sister smoked and he had smoked in the past but not for a while and had never brought it up about wanting one or how he quit or anything remotely related to smoking other than that he was turned on by my smoking one time. then we were out and a little drunk and i took us outside so i could smoke and he was staring at the pack and eventually grabbed one and lit it, i was shocked but certainly not upset about it. he started chaining my cigarettes. we left and he continued in the car until we were almost home. he didnt really speak the whole time, he was consumed by the smoke it seemed. we got home and had what was definitely one of the top 4 romps in the bed i have had in my life. the next day i was driving him home and was about to smoke and offered him one, he said no and said he would go down on me if i didnt smoke during the drive that day ... so i didnt :). he started smoking when driniking occasionally after that which i definitately encouraged as much as i could but he wasnt hitting them when sober at all. Then we broke up about 6 weeks later. we worked together which was awkward since we werent talking all of a sudden. two days later i found him outside puffing away while reading a book in front of the office. we became friends again and would take smoke breaks together. that was years ago now and he has since then been a pack a day smoker and will tell anyone who asks that he loves smoking and has no plans to quit. he might have starrted up at some point regardless but given how it all happened, i definitely can take a healthy share of credit for getting him started again and he smokes more than he ever did in his earlier time as a smoker. I always wanted to ask about that night and the morning after but i never have, now i have a reason to send him an email and ask. i miss him and regret breaking it off with him, would love to be coming home to him now rather than what i have going on in my world. 

Shell1960
by New Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 8:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Val, if you're not happily married, why not divorce? I hear that California is friendly for women in a divorce, with community property laws that can't be beat. I'm a military divorcee myself, and consider myself to be quite the expert on military divorce (I get half the retirement, etc.).

I can't say I ever influenced a non-smoker to start smoking, but I had numerous friends who were also Army wives who had quit smoking start again, and in many cases, I feel I was the influence. I'm happily single again, and since my Dee, I've dated smokers and non-smokers comfortably, but if I EVER get married again, he WILL be a smoker. I lived with a non-smoker for 16 years, never again! If he doesn't smoke, one way or another, I'll be happy to coach him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)