Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Coming out to parents

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:04 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 767 Total Views
1 mom liked this

When I first started smoking, it was so awkward to come out to my parents. Earlier, I had been giving them a hard time about smoking, and here I was a smoker at 14. They were completely cool about it and understanding. Welcomed me as a fellow smoker.

Oh, and here's the funny part of it. When I was in the car with my parents,  I used to complain and roll the window down because the car was full of smoke. Before long, i was rolling the window down to let my own smoke out, and flick my ashes.

What was your experience?

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
cindysam
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:05 PM
I was 13 and mom had told me to let her know when I started smoking. Cigarettes were always available so after I taught myself how to smoke I told her. She was not surprised and let me smoke and provided me with cigarettes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KatieS1979
by Member on May. 18, 2013 at 10:50 PM

My mom found a pack in my room that I had forgotten to hide or somehow just left out.  I was 14, and had been smoking regularly for about a year, or a little bit less.  She asked me if the pack was mine and how long I had been smoking.  I sort of stuttered somewhat, mentioning something about them being my brother's cigarettes having tried it a few times.  I think she pretty much knew though that I had been smoking, because she didn't really get mad and just talked to me about it for a bit, and ended up letting me smoke openly from that point on.  My brother had already been smoking around the house for a while by that point.

bren_mom
by on May. 19, 2013 at 7:57 AM

This was kind of how I was.  My older sister smoked, kind of how I started, smoking when hanging out with her and her friends when I was 14.  By the time I was 15, I just really got lazy and stopped trying to hide it.  Eventually my mom "caught" me.  She was a little mad that I hid it, but she smoked and let my sister smoke, so not much she could do.

Quoting KatieS1979:

My mom found a pack in my room that I had forgotten to hide or somehow just left out.  I was 14, and had been smoking regularly for about a year, or a little bit less.  She asked me if the pack was mine and how long I had been smoking.  I sort of stuttered somewhat, mentioning something about them being my brother's cigarettes having tried it a few times.  I think she pretty much knew though that I had been smoking, because she didn't really get mad and just talked to me about it for a bit, and ended up letting me smoke openly from that point on.  My brother had already been smoking around the house for a while by that point.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)