Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Coming out to parents

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:04 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 1556 Total Views
3 moms liked this

When I first started smoking, it was so awkward to come out to my parents. Earlier, I had been giving them a hard time about smoking, and here I was a smoker at 14. They were completely cool about it and understanding. Welcomed me as a fellow smoker.

Oh, and here's the funny part of it. When I was in the car with my parents,  I used to complain and roll the window down because the car was full of smoke. Before long, i was rolling the window down to let my own smoke out, and flick my ashes.

What was your experience?

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
cindysam
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:05 PM
I was 13 and mom had told me to let her know when I started smoking. Cigarettes were always available so after I taught myself how to smoke I told her. She was not surprised and let me smoke and provided me with cigarettes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KatieS1979
by Member on May. 18, 2013 at 10:50 PM

My mom found a pack in my room that I had forgotten to hide or somehow just left out.  I was 14, and had been smoking regularly for about a year, or a little bit less.  She asked me if the pack was mine and how long I had been smoking.  I sort of stuttered somewhat, mentioning something about them being my brother's cigarettes having tried it a few times.  I think she pretty much knew though that I had been smoking, because she didn't really get mad and just talked to me about it for a bit, and ended up letting me smoke openly from that point on.  My brother had already been smoking around the house for a while by that point.

bren_mom
by on May. 19, 2013 at 7:57 AM

This was kind of how I was.  My older sister smoked, kind of how I started, smoking when hanging out with her and her friends when I was 14.  By the time I was 15, I just really got lazy and stopped trying to hide it.  Eventually my mom "caught" me.  She was a little mad that I hid it, but she smoked and let my sister smoke, so not much she could do.

Quoting KatieS1979:

My mom found a pack in my room that I had forgotten to hide or somehow just left out.  I was 14, and had been smoking regularly for about a year, or a little bit less.  She asked me if the pack was mine and how long I had been smoking.  I sort of stuttered somewhat, mentioning something about them being my brother's cigarettes having tried it a few times.  I think she pretty much knew though that I had been smoking, because she didn't really get mad and just talked to me about it for a bit, and ended up letting me smoke openly from that point on.  My brother had already been smoking around the house for a while by that point.

sometimesred
by Member on May. 13, 2014 at 4:36 PM

I was 38 when I started, late in life.  One of my sisters smokes, but no one else in my family. In DH family his mother smokes and two of his sisters, but he and his dad don't. 

When DH saw me smoke the first time while I was out with other wifes at a party on the patio smoking, he asked me how long I had been smoking.  I said only a very sort time, and he told me that I was a grown woman and if I wanted to smoke I shouldn't hide it.  He was fine with it.  So I from that point started smoking openly.  First time my mom came for a visit, I went out on the patio to smoke and she followed me and asked "when did you start smoking?" and I told her and she never said another word about it.  DH's mother simply came out and smoked with me and never said a word.  Now my kids, that was another story.  Both were older teens at the time. They gave me a lot of anti smoking grief for a while and eventually stopped it.  My sisters, the one who smokes simply said "about f*cking time", another confessed to me that she was a closet smoker at times, the third only said, "it's your life, big sister"

At work, the first time I went out and sat with the smokers group outside they never said a word, just took me into the group like I had always been there.  A few nonsmokers commented to me that they didn't know I smoked, but that was it.

satincigarette
by New Member on May. 24, 2014 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Hello all,

I started sneaking my mother's cigarettes at the age of 14 and have been a pack a day or better since 15. I stopped smoking for both pregnancies but immediately went back to my beloved Virginia Slims. My mother smoked several different brands but I clearly remember the brand I became addicted to back in the 80s Satin 100s and thought I was as sexy as the ads at the time! I also smoked Vantage Ultra Lights 100s as she would constantly switch but finally started purchasing my own at 16 when I could drive. Cigarettes were easy to purchase and I was never asked for ID. My group of friends and I went to a week end party and I remember all of us running into the local gas/service station and Debra, my sister, pointed out the display for Virginia Slims V-Wear catalog and they had a 2 pack for the price of 1 which we all took advantage of and I took an immediate love for the brand and still smoke them today. As for my mother, she simply caught me smoking on the side of the house and didn't say a word, but smiled and recognized my obvious inhale/ exhale and headed back in the house. I was 15 at the time, and a novice, but clearly addicted smoker who was nervous as hell about going back inside and strangely enough, she said she knew I would become a smoker and accepted my desire to smoke cigarettes and we had a long talk about the need to smoke, my somewhat fascination with the glamour (coming of age) aspects as well as taking the time to show me how a "Lady" should smoke as I had some obvious new smoker traits she commented on. I was very nervous smoking in front of her but soon became a devout mother/daughter smoking team who still smoke together today! As for my daughters, yes, they both smoke and that's another interesting tale I will share if interested later.

KarenSmoker
by New Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I was 14 when I started smoking. My mom was and still is a dedicated smoker, even at 72!!! about a ppd. lol.

But she said don't hide, if you want to smoke, then go for it. I've never looked back. Now I have quit a few times when I was pregnant but always, always came back. Now, both my kids have smoked since they were 13ish. My son is 25 and daughter is 17. One big happy smoking family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)