Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what age did you start smoking???

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What age did you start smoking?

Options:

12-14- why?

15-17- why?

other- what age and why?

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 107

View Results

I am just curious what age everyone started smoking? Was it pure pressure or not?

I started smoking when I was 14, and it wasnt because of pure pressure, I just decided to start up one day!!! I have loved it since!!! It relieves stress, and calms me down when I am upset!!!

by on May. 13, 2008 at 1:00 AM
Replies (61-67):
DianeSS
by on Aug. 10, 2013 at 3:55 PM
2 moms liked this

I started sneaking puffs and then cigarettes when I was nine

sharonpar
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this

When did I start smoking? Well, I think I've always wanted to smoke, but I was 11, the first time I actually lit a cigarette. Did I start because of peer pressure?  No. My story is a lot different. I started because my mom smoked and I wanted to be just like her. The only problem was that I was born a boy. Getting caught smoking led to some honest and painful conversations about my gender confusion. And that led to my getting the opportunity to live my life as a female. So in a big way, I did get my wish…because I really am just like my mom now.

Elyse1967
by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 12:24 PM
2 moms liked this

I smoked my first cigarette on my 10th birthday. Daily since age 13. I'm 46 now! yah cigarettes!

frenchsmoke
by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 2:03 PM
2 moms liked this
i smoked first cig at 8, and immediately chain 5 in a row. never stop since this day!
Hildi-Gardi
by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 11:18 PM

I started sneaking puffs when I was 10, but I was 12 before I got serious about smoking.

Analisa22
by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 5:10 PM
1 mom liked this

When I was 23...l I know it was late!!

sometimesred
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 4:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I started at 38.  I know that is late.  I always was curious about smoking and thought that one day I would smoke, but my parents and no one in my family smoked at the time.  Then I married a man who didn't smoke and I sort of put it away in the far back reaches of my mind.  My DH job evolved into one which required us to attend a lot of social engagements, and most of the other wives were always going out to smoke.  I followed along to continue conversations.  One night one of the other women offered me a cigarette while we were outside, and I don't know why I took it but i did.  I didn't try to inhale, but felt both naughty and somewhat belonging to be there with a lit cigarette.  I bought a pack of Benson and Hedges menthols (the brand I had been offered) a few days later and began to "practice" totally in the closet.  After a couple of weeks I had successfully managed to inhale.  I originally planned only to socially smoke at these social gatherings.  My DH was still in the dark about it all for a while as he never came out while I and the other ladies were out smoking.  Then one night I had just taken a long drag and inhale and had just started to exhale when I turned and saw DH standing looking at me not 5 feet away.  I'm sure I blushed bright red, but kept on smoking and said nothing.  On the way home he commented that he didn't know that I smoked.  I told him I had only recently started and only to fit in at the social gatherings and that I would quit.  He told me I didn't have to quit if I didnt' want to, that I was a big girl and could smoke if I wanted to.  Over the next few months I evolved from a purely social event smoker to a daily smoker.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)